Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Daughter and I went to the matinee to see Despicable Me 2. Oh wow. Loved it. I loved the first one and the second did not disappoint.

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
I watched Modern Times last night on TCM. Charlie Chaplan was a genius and Paulette Godard was simply breathtaking.

...The heroine, Peppy Miller, has an accident in her car, whereby she drives into a tree...I'm guessing it's a 1935 Cadillac convertable...Can anyone confirm that?
The car is a 1935 Cadillac V-12 370-D Series 40 Fleetwood Imperial Convertible Sedan.

...If it is indeed a 1935 model, then how come that in the film the scene is set at a time when talkies started to replace the silent movies.
The Jazz singer, was credited as the first talkie, debatable, but that's a different argument. The Jazz Singer came out in 1927.
Do you get my drift? 1927, but her car is 1935. Or was the changeover from silent movies a long process?
Or am I just being pedantic and should just shut up?
The very first movie with recorded sound was shown to the public at the Paris Exposition in 1900. Because the picture and the sound were produced by two separate devices, synchronization was difficult to start and maintain; additionally, sound recording and playback amplification quality were insufficient. Obviously, these problems were eventually overcome and the The Jazz Singer, the first successful commercial sound movie, was shown to the public. American movie studios were quick to embrace the new technology, but it wasn't until the mid- to late-1930s that "talkies" were accepted worldwide as a "viable" entertainment medium.

mikepara

Practically Family
Saw a film yesterday Ill Manors directed by Ben Drew. Didn't expect to like it, but it was great. A British Gansta chav film. Reasonably shocking but a good tale.

rjb1

Practically Family
Have to defend "Midnight in Paris"... I had an adventure like that (minus the time travel) in Manhattan once - met a beautiful blonde who was working in a camera shop, and so the adventure began... If the movie can remind you of something like that, you get a punch on your Man Card, not a corner cut off.
As people say when they experience something extraordinary, "It was like a movie..."

Have to defend "Midnight in Paris"... I had an adventure like that (minus the time travel) in Manhattan once - met a beautiful blonde who was working in a camera shop, and so the adventure began... If the movie can remind you of something like that, you get a punch on your Man Card, not a corner cut off.
As people say when they experience something extraordinary, "It was like a movie..."
The point was that there was time travel and it was done by Woody Allan. :p

DesertDan

One Too Many
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Kahn

Last weekend I finally got around to watching Chinatown. Good movie even though all the bad guys won.

Last edited:

rjb1

Practically Family
"The point was that there was time travel and it was done by Woody Allan."
OK - It wasn't great, but it did bring back some good memories from long ago and far away - sort of "time travel" in my own head...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran