Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Oh, the 1938 Hollywood version is lame, bordering on unwatchable. The Patrick Stewart TNT version is okay (not surprisingly, Stewart himself is very good), but it can't hold a candle to - IMHO - the two four-star adaptations of A Christmas Carol:

The 1951 Alastair Sim film is a concise, noirish b/w masterpiece that hits all the right notes. And Sim is just a magnificent Scrooge, a wonderful interpretation!

The 1984 George C. Scott TV version is an outstanding adaptation - so good that you don't even notice that Scott is the only guy in the cast with an American accent. Among other reasons, it features my all-time favorite Bob Cratchit: David Warner, absolutely heartbreaking in a rare good-guy role. Actually, the whole cast is splendid: Roger Rees as Fred, Frank Finlay as Marley, Edward Woodward as Christmas Present...

I also give high marks to a nostalgic favorite, Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. Though it's a limited-animation cartoon, it captures the bulk of the story accurately in a very short timeframe, and it has much better songs than the 1970 musical Scrooge with Albert Finney.

vintageTink

One Too Many
You're thinking of Robert Z'Dar.

I'm watching The Shootist right now. I don't consider myself a John Wayne fan, but in my opinion this is his best movie.
That's him!
McClintock is my favorite JW movie.

Last night was Disney's A Christmas Carol and Polar Express 3D.

We've watched Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas and will likely start Twice Upon A Christmas, then sometime today Christmas Vacation, Charlie Brown Christmas, Scrooged, and a few others.

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
I have watched that movie every Christmas along with Charlie Brown since I was little so when I became a parent I of course made my kids watch it and have tried to raise my kids with the same values as Ralphie an his brother....LOL! IT WORKED TOo! My kids are 22,18 and 14 and they are just as dramatic..can I get an :amen:,lol...,they have referred to me as a drill Sargent sometimes so I must have done something right?? haha
Hey I am a firm believer in spare the rod spoil the child but the rod doesn't have to be physical these days, take away the PS2 and you break there there little hearts...:violin:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"La Vie en Rose" on the telly tonight. It was one of those films that I meant to see at the flicks but missed and never got around to it. Absolutely magnificent, although not what you would call uplifting. In truth very tragic but brilliant filmmaking.

And just the other day, "Django Unchained" which I loved. I thought "Inglourious Basterds" was crap (apart from Christoph Waltz's performance) and Django was the complete opposite. My favourite Tarantino film. I'm a sucker for a Western and I love how this was a homage to some of the classics in its feel. Casting and acting were first rate, and the way the tension was ratcheted up when they were in Candyland was perfect. Plus the "bag scene" had me literally crying with laughter.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
"Micheal Clayton" with Clooney and Wilkinson. Lawyer drama film, quite excellent, doesn't disappoint (even if they don't explain a couple of things).

mingoslim

Practically Family
Last night I pulled out a classic . . . CASABLANCA. A great flick, with a great cast - Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains, Conrad Veidt, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, and Dooley Wilson. . . I choke up every time Rick allows the Bulgarians to win at Roulette, and when Paul Henreid leads the patrons at Rick's in "La Marseillaise" . . .

And Ingrid Bergman is Stunning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot