Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

"The Godfather" - On HBO this month...

Worf

Absolutely one of the best (as is GFII), but I might need a year or two off from it as I overdosed on it the last time HBO (I think it was them) ran it. My girlfriend, who loves both of them as well, says we need at least a year before we can watch them again - and I think she is right. (I did this with "Hunt for Red October" a few years back and am now ready to watch it again.)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely one of the best (as is GFII), but I might need a year or two off from it as I overdosed on it the last time HBO (I think it was them) ran it. My girlfriend, who loves both of them as well, says we need at least a year before we can watch them again - and I think she is right. (I did this with "Hunt for Red October" a few years back and am now ready to watch it again.)

Yeah... gets my vote for best film drama of all time. Masterful story telling.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
HBO Documentary "112 Weddings" - A documentary film maker films weddings to earn cash between project. After doing this for 19 plus years he decides to go back and see how some of the couples he film have faired after the happy event is long over. As one Rabbi put it...

"Your wedding day should be happy you just threw and boatload of money and alcohol at it to make it so."

Good flick.

Worf

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Lawless. Pretty good 1930's bootlegger flick. I always appreciate a good gangster or world war 2 flick if I can find them as there aren't many really good ones to choose from.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Farewell My Lovely, the 1975 remake of Murder My Sweet (or the second film adaptation of the 1940 Raymond Chandler novel) with Robert Mitchum as an aging Philip Marlowe. Also has a small part by a very young Sylvester Stallone in one of his first film roles, and Harry Dean Stanton in an early role as well. Great noirish lighting and cinematography despite being filmed in color.

Crimson Tide. Outstanding, intense drama. Gene Hackman should have won an Oscar for his performance here.
My favorite moment is when Captain Ramsey (Hackman) realizes he was wrong, and he just deflates without saying a word; brilliant use of body language by Hackman to convey what would surely be a serious blow to the man's convictions and ego if it had actually happened.

Edward

Bartender
Watched a few films on HBO Asia in Beijing last week... The original Matrix struck me as much better than memory suggested after the unnecessarily (and risible) sequels. Nothing much else of note. Air China haven't much updated their entertainment system in a couple of months, but I still managed to catch three films I'd not previously seen in their entirety - Blue Jasmine (Kate Blanchett on top form, with some outstanding Woody Allen writing), Twelve Angry Men (it shocks me too that I'd never gotten around to watching it before!), and Witness for the Prosecution, with a tour de force performance by Dietrich herself.

It is one of Stallone's better and underappreciated movies.
:D

Yes, when he actually gets to act, Stallone can be a master (there's a couple of his roles I can imagine a middle-aged Brando in). Such a shame that for the most part he gets stuck with "Stallone the two-dimensional A-list persona" roles. I'm sure he's crying all the way to the bank.

Without the horrible soundtrack. :p

If her heart is anything like that song, it'll go on for bloody ever. :eeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou