Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Twelve Angry Men (it shocks me too that I'd never gotten around to watching it before!)

Yes, when he actually gets to act, Stallone can be a master (there's a couple of his roles I can imagine a middle-aged Brando in). Such a shame that for the most part he gets stuck with "Stallone the two-dimensional A-list persona" roles. I'm sure he's crying all the way to the bank.

Great cast, great acting, great dalogue, great cinematography, and a whole bunch of intensity. 12 Angry Men strangely is rarely mentioned.

He was pretty good in the first Rocky movie and the second as well if my memory is correct.
:D

cw3pa

A-List Customer
"The Desperate Hours" (1955) with Humphrey Bogart and Fredric March. Bogart's character (Glenn Griffin) is sort of a grown up Duke Mantee. I read that Glenn Griffin was his last role as a villian.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Damage said:
Charley Varrick starring Walter Matthau and a bunch of other good character actors. What a great film!
EmergencyIan said:
I agree with you. It really is a great film. I saw it about a year ago. I got it from Netflix. It's unfortunate that it's such a hidden gem.
Unfortunate that it's seemingly only available on DVD in pan-and-scan, not letterbox. Every time I start to feel a bit shameful about watching movies for 'free' I think about how bad a job Hollywood has done of making older movies readily available in watchable formats and then I think "screw you guys".

Last edited:

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
A Hard Days Night (1964)

I saw it last night, here in NYC, at the Film Forum.

It's the 50th anniversary of it's release. Because of that, it's been released nationwide (maybe worldwide) for the next two weeks.

- Ian

"Dawn Patrol" - 1938 - Flynn and Niven in a fine remake. But Donald Crisp and Basil Rathbone almost steal the show...

Worf

Saw it and thought - another example of that incredibly well done British black and white cinematography that seems to be high-def B&W. And yes, all four do an outstanding job. I always think Flynn doesn't get the credit he deserves as an actor because he is so well known for Robin Hood (which, while fun, is a bit cartoonish), but he did many great movies and showed great range away from his action adventure stuff.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Saw it and thought - another example of that incredibly well done British black and white cinematography that seems to be high-def B&W. And yes, all four do an outstanding job. I always think Flynn doesn't get the credit he deserves as an actor because he is so well known for Robin Hood (which, while fun, is a bit cartoonish), but he did many great movies and showed great range away from his action adventure stuff.

This one's a bit different in that its a remake of an earlier film and almost all the combat footage was lifted from the original en-masse. Saved Warners a boat load of money. Except for the cockpit close ups and the interior shots of the new cast, the whole things lifted. Still I love this flick so much I own a copy of it.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Last night...

Command Decision (1948)

Nighthawks (1981)

- Ian

"Command Decision" is one of my faves from a particular standpoint. It shows quite clearly the toll command takes on a man... particularly when he has to order people he cares about and loves into battle, knowing they might not come back. As the young Lt. said...

"some people have to do more than talk."

One of Gable's finest.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara