Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

This one's a bit different in that its a remake of an earlier film and almost all the combat footage was lifted from the original en-masse. Saved Warners a boat load of money. Except for the cockpit close ups and the interior shots of the new cast, the whole things lifted. Still I love this flick so much I own a copy of it.

Worf

Understood - I was just referencing the scenes that were clearly freshly shot for the movie itself. I don't have a special TV or anything (three years old, $300 or so bucks), but the detail that one can see on that seventy-odd year old film is incredible.

"The Hard Way" (DVR'd off of TCM) - A decent, nothing special Ida Lupina vehicle that does enough to hold your attention. On the funny side, she looks about 2 years older than the actress who plays her daughter (and was only 7 years older in actuality). Jack Carson - who I like - is in it and plays the same a-bit-too-loud guy who tries too hard to get the girl and, as always, comes up short (that guy got a lot of milage out of playing the same character in a lot of movies). Dennis Morgan did an above average job as the other male lead.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
21aak5u.png

The Expendables 2. More of the same--equal parts phony and baloney, with some obvious CGI thrown in for good measure--except the "team" seems to rely less on teamwork in this one; they enter a situation, and it's every man for himself for the most part. Jean-Claude Van Damme is surprisingly good as the lead villain, and Chuck Norris' "not much more than an extended cameo" appearance is utterly pointless with regards to the story; they could have eliminated his character and nobody would have noticed. Actually, it would have been an improvement, since Norris is truly one of the worst actors to ever appear in...well, anything. Schwarzenegger and Willis get a little more to do in this one, but not by much. And every one of the one-liner jokes felt forced. It's not horrible but, all things considered, the first movie was better. But then, you really shouldn't expect much from a movie like this anyway; remove brain, ingest popcorn.

Last edited:

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Yeah the first installment was better, but machine guns and explosions are always great fun though. :D
I'll go see number 3 with a girlfriend. I'm sure it will be a fun movie too.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Carbine Williams (1952) with Jimmy Stewart, Jean Hagen, and Wendell Corey. Hagen is always either Lina Lamont or Doll Conovan, no matter what movie of hers I'm watching.

Not very accurate, but I watch it almost always when it is on! Also like Winchester 73!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Rebecca Directed by Hitchcock. A fantastic film start to finish. Joan Fontaine is adorable in every shot and a very accomplished actress even at this early stage.

Olivier was quite unimpressive.

Rebecca Directed by Hitchcock. A fantastic film start to finish. Joan Fontaine is adorable in every shot and a very accomplished actress even at this early stage.

Olivier was quite unimpressive.

I'm fully on board with your Joan Fontaine assessment. "Rebecca" and "Suspicion" are her two best roles - she becomes the character in a very convincing way in both films and has to show a wide range of emotions and personality nuances (sometimes with just a quick facial feature change). I have the special edition "Rebecca" CD which includes the original screen tests that she and several other name actresses did for the role. The two things that jumped out at me is how much her personal style defined the role as we came to know it and how, while others seemed fine in the test, she was the clear choice.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Not very accurate, but I watch it almost always when it is on! Also like Winchester 73!

The focus was on Stewart's not very likable character, not on the development of the carbine. Only near the end did his innovation regarding the carbine show up, and then it was sort of like a montage. I still don't know what the improvement was, and maybe that was because the studio didn't think it would engage the ticket-buying public as much as the biographical story line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic