Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Stylistically - clothes, cars, lighting, background architecture and mood - an impressive and of-the-time defining movie (even more than "The Great Escape" this is the movie I think of when I think of Steve McQueen), in addition, to being, as you said, a pretty darn good one. And did I mention, I want his Mustang.

Yeah, that Fastback is cool personified. And the other car is a Charger RT. Pretty good cars to bring to a car chase. Classic car chase, by the way.

For some reason, I think of "The Getaway" when I think of Steve McQueen. Maybe, it's because it's the movie of his that I like the most. However, there a several of his movies that I like a whole lot including a couple of his lesser known movies such as "Junior Bonner" and "Tom Horn."

The only movie of his that I didn't care for, at all, is "The Cincinnati Kid." Maybe it is a good movie and I was just tired or something when I watched it. I say that because I see that it's rated pretty highly.

- Ian

Yeah, that Fastback is cool personified. And the other car is a Charger RT. Pretty good cars to bring to a car chase. Classic car chase, by the way.

For some reason, I think of "The Getaway" when I think of Steve McQueen. Maybe, it's because it's the movie of his that I like the most. However, there a several of his movies that I like a whole lot including a couple of his lesser known movies such as "Junior Bonner" and "Tom Horn."

The only movie of his that I didn't care for, at all, is "The Cincinnati Kid." Maybe it is a good movie and I was just tired or something when I watched it. I say that because I see that it's rated pretty highly.

- Ian

I enjoy "The Getaway," Ali McGraw doesn't hurt, but "Bullitt" is McQueen for me. And, yes, that is probably my favorite of all car chase scenes. In more modern movies, they've become stupidly over the top - that one feels almost possible.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
The Mountain (1956) starring Spencer Tracy and Robert Wagner, and shot in Technicolor.

Not too bad. I don't know that I had heard of it before finding it on Netflix. I liked it, but hated Robert Wagner's character in the movie. His character was a jerk to say the least.

- Ian

The "Sweet Smell of Success" might be an under-appreciated classic as I doubt one in fifty non-film buffs know about it, but for my money, a top 25 overall and a top five in its category (whatever that exactly would be). And Lizabeth Scott is at her best in "Dead Reckoning" in what was, unfortunately, an uneven career overall.

The Sweet Smell of Success I enjoyed so much that I bought my own copy of it after my first viewing. The nightclub scene towards the as well as Curtis' impending beating were visually superior. It is such a entertaining movie.
:D

Had a little Film Noir action here the last couple of days. "Pitfall" (1948) with Dick Powell, Lizabeth Scott, Jane Wyatt and Raymond Burr as the heavy.
Yesterday; "He Walked by Night" (1948) with Richard Basehart and a very thin Jack Webb. The Los Angeles storm drain system played a major roll. (kept waiting for giant ants to appear).
"Sweet Smell of Success" (1957) with Bert Lancaster and a very unctuous Tony Curtis. Finally, "Dead Reckoning" (1947) with Humphery Bogart and Lizabeth Scott.

A really nice collection. I really enjoyed He Walked By Night as well as The Sweet Smell of Success and Dead Reckoning.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Yep and don't forget;
Lee Van Cleef
Donald Pleasence
Harry Dean Staton
Isaac Hayes
Adrienne Barbeau
Tom Atkins

I mean wow! What a cast !

cw3pa

A-List Customer
The Sweet Smell of Success I enjoyed so much that I bought my own copy of it after my first viewing. The nightclub scene towards the as well as Curtis' impending beating were visually superior. It is such a entertaining movie.

If it had been up to me; I would have saved Lt. Kello's knuckles and helped Sidney off the balcony.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
L.A. Confidential (1997)

Great movie!

I had heard of it before, but never thought one way or another about it. But, today, a neighbor brought over the DVD, along with a couple of others. We put the movie in after dinner and were very pleasantly surprised. Again, I think that it's an excellent movie.

- Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats