Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

No God, No Master - an interesting little flick about a Bureau of Investigation bomb expert (David Strathairn) investigating anarchists mailing bombs to the rich and powerful in 1919. Living amidst Italian immigrants, he's disgusted as innocents are rounded up for deportation; a secondary plot features Sacco and Vanzetti (depicted as adorable naïfs not guilty of any wrongdoing). Strathairn sells it beautifully, as usual, and the film is well-intentioned but really low-budget: it's got the least convincing depiction of 1919 downtown NYC I've ever seen: broad, leafy streets and miniscule "crowds". Turns out it was shot in Milwaukee!

David Strathairn was also in Eight Men Out (1988) about the 1919 Black Sox scandal where he played Sox pitcher Eddie Cicotte.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
He was also in Good Night and Good Luck, Lincoln, L.A. Confidential, A League of their Own, The Notorious Bettie Page... and those are just his set-in-the-past roles. He's been in many, many other interesting films. He's been one of my favorite character-actors-who-sometimes-play-lead-roles ever since I first encountered him, in the great forgotten 80s TV series The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The most interesting thing about Buckaroo Banzai - which is no masterpiece, just a bizarre, fun little flick - is that its makers were so certain that they were creating a successful franchise. There's a "Buckaroo Banzai will return" statement in the closing credits that's a real act of hubris for such a this-is-way-too-strange-to-ever-be-mainstream film.

Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The most interesting thing about Buckaroo Banzai - which is no masterpiece, just a bizarre, fun little flick - is that its makers were so certain that they were creating a successful franchise. There's a "Buckaroo Banzai will return" statement in the closing credits that's a real act of hubris for such a this-is-way-too-strange-to-ever-be-mainstream film.

Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

No, this was the best part of the movie!
i256451_zps0cc006b9.jpg

Jaws. Again. Last night at a local theater that holds special screenings of "classic" movies on Monday nights two or three times a month. It's nice to have the opportunity to see these movies on the big screen again (or for the first time in some cases), but all they're really doing is projecting the Blu-Ray version of the movies they've selected so there's no chance of seeing any "rare" movies.

The theater opened for business in 1931 as the Wardman Theater. In the 1950s it became part of the Bruen theater chain, and in the 1970s was owned and operated by Pacific Theaters, Century Theaters, and from 1977 to 1987 was part of the Pussycat Theaters chain (adult movies). Like many others in the area, the building was damaged on October 1, 1987, when the Whittier Narrows earthquake struck southern California, and Starlight Cinemas took the opportunity to turn it into an eight-screen multiplex and re-open it as the Whittier Village Cinemas. It is now the last remaining movie theater in a city that once had four walk-in movie theaters and one drive-in movie theater. I've been going to this theater since the mid-1960s, and even saw Jaws there in 1975 when the price of admission was 54¢. I much preferred it when it was a single-screen theater, but I can easily understand that it could not have remained a viable business in today's "business model" of single-viewing admissions and much smaller multiplex theaters.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Isle of The Dead" - Val Lewton produces this fine, odd little gem of a picture about war, plague and superstiton on a Greek Isle during the country's war of independence. Karloff at his usual best.

"Return of The Vampire" - Vampire pic made by Paramount during the war. Lugosi and his pet Werewolf are resurrected by a bomb during the blitz and begins his bloody reign all over.

TCM is a wonderful ting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24