Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

I haven't seen this - looks like I'll have to remedy that!

Please read the book first - a really enjoyable read. And if you haven't read any Herman Wouk yet, a great introduction to him as an author. Then you can move on to his "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance," outstanding historical fiction novels on WWII (that very clearly defines facts - all the relevant military and political events - from fiction - the family he puts in the center of it all to advance the narrative). And knowing you are a big WWII fan, I think you'll love those books.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Please read the book first - a really enjoyable read. And if you haven't read any Herman Wouk yet, a great introduction to him as an author. Then you can move on to his "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance," outstanding historical fiction novels on WWII (that very clearly defines facts - all the relevant military and political events - from fiction - the family he puts in the center of it all to advance the narrative). And knowing you are a big WWII fan, I think you'll love those books.

I started reading Winds of War about 10 years ago and couldn't get into it...I remember my parents watching the miniseries when it aired in the '80s. But I think I'll give it another go. In fact, I am in need of a good book right now - and I have copies of both those books.

I started reading Winds of War about 10 years ago and couldn't get into it...I remember my parents watching the miniseries when it aired in the '80s. But I think I'll give it another go. In fact, I am in need of a good book right now - and I have copies of both those books.

I bet it will work for you (sometimes I'm just not in the "right place" to enjoy a book that would normally be right up my alley). Start with "Winds of War" as they are sequential. Then, after the books, you do want to see the mini-series - it, too, was very well done.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I bet it will work for you (sometimes I'm just not in the "right place" to enjoy a book that would normally be right up my alley). Start with "Winds of War" as they are sequential. Then, after the books, you do want to see the mini-series - it, too, was very well done.

Luckily the miniseries is on Netflix. :D

'The Valley of Gwanji' (1969)
Ray Harryhausen serves us up some cowboys and dinosaurs. A washed up wild west show traveling through Mexico capture an allosaurus and put it in the show. It of course promptly busts loose and puts the smackdown on Mexico city. All this to a soundtrack inspired by, if not downright plagiarized from, 'The Big Valley'.
How can you go wrong with this??

Last edited:

basbol13

A-List Customer
"The Caine Mutiny" is an excellent movie, in part, because the novel is so well done. Sure, good books have been made into bad movies, but at least you are starting off on the right track when you have good source material. And, then, as you point out, the acting is outstanding. Both MacMurry and Bogey play against type with MacMurry being manipulative and backstabbing and Bogey weak and cowardly. Those guys are real actors.

Actually think about it, it was MacMurry who was the coward. He was the one who pushed Van Johnson to mutiny. All Bogey was was a tired, insecure soul with ADD tendencies.
Mel Ferrar really pointed it out at the end of the film.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Actually think about it, it was MacMurry who was the coward. He was the one who pushed Van Johnson to mutiny. All Bogey was was a tired, insecure soul with ADD tendencies.

I agree with you. Bogey/Queeg was at the end of his rope, career Navy well into his second war... and a gut bustin' Navy War as Kirk Douglass put it in "In Harm's Way" at that. He was just used up. MacMurry was the heel and Ferrar's character should've beat his ears off. I love that movie as well.

Worf

Maybe Iron Man 4 or 5 will be better. Look how Rocky improved with age. Which Rocky are we on 20 or 21?
Rocky_XXXVIII_zps52zw6one.jpg

MacMurry was cowardly in that the he manipulated others into doing his dirty work. Was Bogey a coward or just weak? He definitely wanted to avoid fighting and seemed to create reasons to avoid it - which has a cowardly element, but I'd agree that it was probably driven by him being too old, tired and worn out for the war. Ferrar's speech is brilliant in how it brings out nuanced points about what officers owe to a weaker captain like Bogey (I haven't seen it in a long time, but there were more points like that in it).

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Anna Karenina (2012).
I would have divorced her, or sent her to get her head checked.
Very beautifully dressed and shot movie though.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004). When New York City is attacked by giant flying robots in 1939, reporter Polly Perkins (Gwyneth Paltrow) and fighter pilot Joe "Sky Captain" Sullivan (Jude Law) team up to discover their origin, why famous scientists have disappeared around the world, and if the two are related. It's a visually interesting Art Deco CGI fest with good but slightly stylized performances, but for me the story starts losing steam about half-way through. Worth seeing at least once if you're into that sort of thing.

I originally passed on commenting because we've discussed this film here so many times, especially when it first came out, and I've made my feelings known before.

(In a nutshell: This is what happens when a hardcore geek effects genius - but not an actual filmmaker - gets a chance to make a big film... While it has some really impressive moments, it quickly goes off the rails because the creators have zero skill/experience actually writing a feature-length film or directing actors. Those of us who love the Fleischer cartoons, etc., see it opening weekend, enjoy parts of the film, and get the DVD. But the filmmakers never get another crack at making a Hollywood film, because they proved that they don't really know how.)

But as it happens, I just stumbled on an interesting article about why Kerry Conran never made another film (pretty much for the reasons I just said):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/sky...of-tomorrow/kerry-kevin-conran-what-happened/

I originally passed on commenting because we've discussed this film here so many times, especially when it first came out, and I've made my feelings known before.

(In a nutshell: This is what happens when a hardcore geek effects genius - but not an actual filmmaker - gets a chance to make a big film... While it has some really impressive moments, it quickly goes off the rails because the creators have zero skill/experience actually writing a feature-length film or directing actors. Those of us who love the Fleischer cartoons, etc., see it opening weekend, enjoy parts of the film, and get the DVD. But the filmmakers never get another crack at making a Hollywood film, because they proved that they don't really know how.)

But as it happens, I just stumbled on an interesting article about why Kerry Conran never made another film (pretty much for the reasons I just said):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/sky...of-tomorrow/kerry-kevin-conran-what-happened/
What I take from that article is that the Conran brothers really needed a mentor of sorts to show them how the business end of moviemaking works in Hollywood. They were tiny little fish in a very big pond who, by their own admission, weren't the type to go around opening doors for themselves (metaphorically speaking, that is), and if any one of the "names" at that meeting would have taken them under his wing things might have turned out differently for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24