Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

alexeberlin

New in Town
I'm afraid that I'm not too fond of modern movies. I last watched The Thin Man. Stylish, witty and still amusing decades later. The chemistry between Powell and Myrna Loy is sublime. I could watch this over and over again.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
2nqe3wk.png

Actually JD was raised by his Uncle Marcus Winslow on a farm outside (north) of Fairmount. The little boy in this photo is Marcus (Markie) Winslow, Jr. ( JD's cousin ) who now runs the Winslow family farm and controls JD's estate and promotions.
JD and the Winslows were Friends of my Family in Fairmount.
HD

I was only able to catch about twenty minutes of "Rebel Without a Cause" yesterday, but it reminded me of how powerfully emotional that film is. And Jim Backus actually acted before he became sort of goofy.

The scene I saw is where Dean tries to get his father to see how weak and dominated he is - it is painful. You want Dean to stop because, while Dean is as equally hurt by it and for his Dad, he is just ripping his old man apart. My God, I couldn't live like that. I was never very close to my Dad, we were a bit of a distant family, but I'll take that any day over the gut wrenching emotional storm of Dean and his Dad. If you added up all the emotional outpouring of my relationship with my Dad in my entire life, it wouldn't equal that one scene.

And if memory serves, East of Eden has similarly painful family angst. Wow, I have to believe that isn't the norm - who could go through life like that?

Things are often exaggerated on stage and especially in Hollywood. The late '40s and '50s were a prime time for their interpretation of drama using extreme hysterical emotions and moody cool concerning teenagers. As Brando's 'Stella". It was turbulent times for some family and young relationships, but this was played upon for performance purposes that would hit a nerve.
Of course, James Dean's life helped him tap into, perhaps, strong feelings that eventually thrilled audiences. His Mother died when he was young and his Father then sent him away.
HD

Things are often exaggerated on stage and especially in Hollywood. The late '40s and '50s were a prime time for their interpretation of drama using extreme hysterical emotions and moody cool concerning teenagers. As Brando's 'Stella". It was turbulent times for some family and young relationships, but this was played upon for performance purposes that would hit a nerve.
Of course, James Dean's life helped him tap into, perhaps, strong feelings that eventually thrilled audiences. His Mother died when he was young and his Father then sent him away.
HD

That all makes sense. I was exhausted just watching that scene yesterday, I can't imagine living ones life that way. That family pulls the pin and hurls emotional hand grenades at each other all the time.

emigran

Practically Family
A MAJORITY OF ONE
Starring Rosalind Russell and ALec Guiness... SHe puts in a great acting role as a very prejudiced(Anti-Japanese Jewish mama whose son was killed in WWII. Guiness is unconvincing as a Japanese business man but it works... also many sterotype accents and demeaning dialog...
Ros saves the day with her wisened patter...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
About five minutes of something on TCM last night with Guy Kibbee as a pasty-faced rube Governor, and Warren William as a sinister political fixer who has said Governor in his pocket. The beauty of any Warner Bros. film made between 1932 and 1938 is that you can tell the entire storyline just by looking at any two members of the cast.

A MAJORITY OF ONE
Starring Rosalind Russell and ALec Guiness... SHe puts in a great acting role as a very prejudiced(Anti-Japanese Jewish mama whose son was killed in WWII. Guiness is unconvincing as a Japanese business man but it works... also many sterotype accents and demeaning dialog...
Ros saves the day with her wisened patter...

You definitely have to suspend our present day view of appropriate race relations to watch this one and and I agree that while Guiness is unconvincing (to the point of being painful), somehow it almost works.

Braz

Familiar Face
Saw "Double Indemnity" (the 1944 version with Barbara Stanwick and Fred McMurray) on the big screen today. It is one of those TCM restored films that occasionally show in selected theaters. I have seen it a few times before but never on the big screen. I wore my "Bogart" fedora just because it seemed the appropriate thing to do, though the weather was more conducive to a Panama.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"​Westward the Women” (1951) Robert Taylor.
(recorded the other day on TCM. I just watched it)

What those poor women had to endure.
I was sent to go live with my grandmother when I was 3 or 4.
The spirit of those women was just the same with my grandma.
God Bless her.

The Station Agent (2003). When his only friend dies, anti-social Finbar "Fin" McBride (Peter Dinklage) takes possession of a disused New Jersey railway station, where he meets overly-friendly catering truck vendor Joe Oramas (Bobby Canavale), and artist Olivia Harris (Patricia Clarkson) who is dealing with her own personal loss. This is one of those "character study" movies where you're essentially dropped into the characters' lives for 90 minutes and nothing really gets resolved before the credits roll, but the performances were believable and intriguing enough to hold my interest. I think the average, "Hey, let's go see a movie!" audience member would consider it too "artsy-fartsy", but I enjoyed it.

The Station Agent (2003). When his only friend dies, anti-social Finbar "Fin" McBride (Peter Dinklage) takes possession of a disused New Jersey railway station, where he meets overly-friendly catering truck vendor Joe Oramas (Bobby Canavale), and artist Olivia Harris (Patricia Clarkson) who is dealing with her own personal loss. This is one of those "character study" movies where you're essentially dropped into the characters' lives for 90 minutes and nothing really gets resolved before the credits roll, but the performances were believable and intriguing enough to hold my interest. I think the average, "Hey, let's go see a movie!" audience member would consider it too "artsy-fartsy", but I enjoyed it.

Saw it about ten years ago and really liked it. Interesting characters, good acting, neat story; definitely worthwhile.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany