Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Tucker and Dale vs. Evil" - I'd had this in my queue and finally watched this one last night. Absolutely hilarious farce on the "murderous redneck College Co-ed Killer" shtick. I hadn't laughed so hard in a coon's age. What happens when two perfectly sweet country boys, who happen to look like extras from "Deliverance" get caught up with a group of college students on vacation in the woods? Great flick.

Worf

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004). When New York City is attacked by giant flying robots in 1939, reporter Polly Perkins (Gwyneth Paltrow) and fighter pilot Joe "Sky Captain" Sullivan (Jude Law) team up to discover their origin, why famous scientists have disappeared around the world, and if the two are related. It's a visually interesting Art Deco CGI fest with good but slightly stylized performances, but for me the story starts losing steam about half-way through. Worth seeing at least once if you're into that sort of thing.

I feel the same towards about half-way of the film but nevertheless I enjoyed the Art Deco style.

Reminiscent of early Max Fleischer : “Mechanical Monsters"

[video=youtube;DadH3KjHZws]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DadH3KjHZws[/video]

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I feel the same towards about half-way of the film but nevertheless I enjoyed the Art Deco style.

Reminiscent of early Max Fleischer : “Mechanical Monsters"

[video=youtube;DadH3KjHZws]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DadH3KjHZws[/video]

That's the one I was talking about exactly. Great cartoon by the by! Thanks for diggin' it up! God bless Youtube!!!!!!

Worf

"Tucker and Dale vs. Evil" - I'd had this in my queue and finally watched this one last night. Absolutely hilarious farce on the "murderous redneck College Co-ed Killer" shtick. I hadn't laughed so hard in a coon's age. What happens when two perfectly sweet country boys, who happen to look like extras from "Deliverance" get caught up with a group of college students on vacation in the woods? Great flick.

Worf

Yes....comic genius, that one.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The Shop Around the Corner, 1940, w/ James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan, and Frank "Wizard of Oz" Morgan as their boss, the owner of the shop in the title. I'd heard it was the original and inspiration for 1998's You've Got Mail, one of my favorite comedies, so I had to check it out. It's remarkable how different, and yet how similar, they are. Corner features regular post office-type mail instead of email, of course, and the situation and setup between the two romantic leads is very different. But the Shop cafe scene between Stewart and Sullavan (when, like YGM's Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, HE knows she is his mysterious romantic pen-pal, but SHE does not) is remarkably similar to YGM's, down to the beats and the scene's end. And the climax of the two films share a kinship, too.

Both films leave you feeling good about being a human.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
One summer many years ago, one of our local Los Angeles stations solved that problem by airing the same movie Monday through Friday at 8:00 p.m.. It was great if it was a movie you liked because you could see it five nights in a row if your schedule permitted, and it was during one of those times when the Universal "horror" movies, The Marx Brothers, Abbott and Costello, and other "classic" movies were experiencing a resurgence of sorts. Of course, if it was a movie you didn't like, you had to wait an entire week. lol

I think the station was KHJ, channel 9. I remember the movies running each night of the week, and, yes, if you didn't like the movie, you had to hope some of the other locals ran something watchable. On the other hand, if it was a movie you liked, you got to watch it over and over.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Agreed: I loved Conan the Barbarian from first viewing, but unlike a lot of those eighties fantasy flicks, time actually seems to have improved it. NOW FOR THE DAYS OF HIGH ADVENTURE!

A couple of TCM-DVR'd oldies:

The Adventures of Prince Achmed - the first animated feature, a 65-minute silent film from 1926 that predates Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs by over a decade. Made in Germany by a woman director entirely using silhouette animation a la Indonesian shadow puppets, I found it utterly charming and beautifully designed.

Young Bess - I thought I'd already seen every major Henry VIII/Elizabeth I drama, but I hadn't seen this one. An M-G-M film from 1953 starring Jean Simmons as the teenage title character, Deborah Kerr as Catherine Parr, Stewart Granger as Admiral Tom Seymour (brother of beheaded Jane), and - most interestingly - Charles Laughton as King Henry, 20 years after he got the Oscar for The Private Life of Henry VIII. Apparently vaguely historically accurate, it's a mixed bag that has its moments. Oddly, the usually excellent Simmons' performance is the weak link here: she's atypically strident, shouting and overplaying to come across as a mixed-up teen who's very clearly egomaniac Henry's daughter.

I dvr'd the Prince Achmed film and am about half-way through it. If I'm remembering correctly, this used to show up early when the local tv stations would sign on; I think there would be some of the Farmer Al Falfa cartoons as well.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
That's a really good film. Shows the 'office politics' that enable officers to ignore reality for the sake of their own priorities.

Kubrick's direction is remarkable, especially in the sequence where Adolphe Menjou and Kirk Douglas walk around the large office as they converse. The camera flows and follows them, very fluid visually.
Kubrick also operated the camera himself during some parts of the attack across no man's land: I think I read somewhere that it was a violation of motion picture production rules.

I like that film. Stylish reinterpretation of 40's sci-fi. Angelina Jolie looks awesome as an American playing a Brit, whilst Brits play most of the other characters as Americans!
Also, strange early 1940's where WW2 seems never to have happened. Polly talks about taking a photo of Tojo in a bathtub in Shanghai, but no European war seems to have happened.
Almost every synopsis I've read stated the movie takes place in 1939, and usage in the movie of footage from The Wizard of Oz and Wuthering Heights (which were both released in 1939) seems to support this. This would be a couple of years before the U.S. became directly involved in WWII. Also, there are no signs in the movie that America is still struggling with the economic depression present in 1939. Sky Captain appears to take place in an alternate universe or alternate time line, so they can tell just about any story they want to without having to rigidly adhere to recorded history.

...The giant robots were modeled after the one's in an early Fliesher Bros. "Superman" cartoon, right down to the propellers...
...Reminiscent of early Max Fleischer : “Mechanical Monsters"...
I have all of the Fleischer Superman cartoons on DVD, and they immediately came to mind when I saw the flying robots in Sky Captain.

I think the station was KHJ, channel 9. I remember the movies running each night of the week, and, yes, if you didn't like the movie, you had to hope some of the other locals ran something watchable. On the other hand, if it was a movie you liked, you got to watch it over and over.
I think KHJ did the same thing at one point, but I remember watching them on KTLA (Channel 5). I don't think the concept lasted even a year, but in an era before VCRs it was a great way to see your favorite movies again and again.

The Shop Around the Corner, 1940, w/ James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan, and Frank "Wizard of Oz" Morgan as their boss, the owner of the shop in the title. I'd heard it was the original and inspiration for 1998's You've Got Mail, one of my favorite comedies, so I had to check it out. It's remarkable how different, and yet how similar, they are. Corner features regular post office-type mail instead of email, of course, and the situation and setup between the two romantic leads is very different. But the Shop cafe scene between Stewart and Sullavan (when, like YGM's Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, HE knows she is his mysterious romantic pen-pal, but SHE does not) is remarkably similar to YGM's, down to the beats and the scene's end. And the climax of the two films share a kinship, too.

Both films leave you feeling good about being a human.

"The Shop Around the Corner" is one my my favorite "small" movies - small in that it seems to take place on a small canvas (one store and few other locations), doesn't deal with political or international issues, etc. (at least directly) and feels almost quaint. However, it is powerful in its reflection of human interactions, of budding relationships, of hopes for the future, of failure of dreams and individual fear. All of those emotions come through different characters in the store.

Like "Brief Encounter" and "Separate Tables," these movies are fantastic in that they use a small canvas to convey large and universal human emotions and conditions.

That and all three are just fun movies with good actors doing a good job.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Battle of the Coral Sea. (1959) Cliff Robertson. Normally I like Robertson, but this was terrible in every way!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Lance Armstrong - All Or Nothing!" - Wow what a sociopath. Forget the doping it's the lives and reputations he ruined over the years.... Including Gregg LeMond amongst others that ****** me off. The people he duped, the reputations he sullied. Curse words aren't strong enough to use against him. Doesn't cover everything however. Except for a passing reference his wives and kids were left out of it but his first wife was certainly down with it all as well as his mother... they were clearly slurping EVERY drop of gravy that fell off that train. Just like Cosby there are STILL people who defend dis bum! And of course all the footage of him lying and denying and smearing people was all there to haunt him. The best line was from John Landis, the disgraced cyclist who broke the wall of silence after Lance wouldn't even throw him a crumb.

"I'm sorry kids but somebody's gotta tell you that there is no Santa Claus!"

Worf

Last edited:
"Lance Armstrong - At All Costs" - Wow what a sociopath. Forget the doping it's the lives and reputations he ruined over the years.... Including Gregg LeMond amongst others that ****** me off. The people he duped, the reputations he sullied. Curse words aren't strong enough to use against him. Doesn't cover everything however. Except for a passing reference his wives and kids were left out of it but his first wife was certainly down with it all as well as his mother... they were clearly slurping EVERY drop of gravy that fell off that train. Just like Cosby there are STILL people who defend dis bum! And of course all the footage of him lying and denying and smearing people was all there to haunt him. The best line was from John Landis, the disgraced cyclist who broke the wall of silence after Lance wouldn't even throw him a crumb.

Worf

Life almost forces one into cynicism or, at minimum, skepticism. Lance and Cosby are only two recent examples - and two really disappointing ones as I really liked both before the truth came out. Tom Brady is another one, maybe on a slightly lower scale of cheating, but really, deflating footballs to gain a small edge and then lying to cover it up.

I fight becoming a bitter cynic everyday as I don't want to be that person (I grew up with one of those, we called him Dad), but I do understand how it happens.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
"Lance Armstrong - All Or Nothing!" - Wow what a sociopath. Forget the doping it's the lives and reputations he ruined over the years.... Including Gregg LeMond amongst others that ****** me off. The people he duped, the reputations he sullied. Curse words aren't strong enough to use against him. Doesn't cover everything however. Except for a passing reference his wives and kids were left out of it but his first wife was certainly down with it all as well as his mother... they were clearly slurping EVERY drop of gravy that fell off that train. Just like Cosby there are STILL people who defend dis bum! And of course all the footage of him lying and denying and smearing people was all there to haunt him. The best line was from John Landis, the disgraced cyclist who broke the wall of silence after Lance wouldn't even throw him a crumb.

Worf

I remember when he made the big come back after cancer! I said, there's no way any one could bounce back so fast with out doping! Sadly, I was right. I suppose that's why, when all the acquisitions against Cosby came out, a boy hood hero of mine, I didn't even raise an eye brow!

Great film. It marks one of the only times Fred Mac Murry played a heavy. The other role was in The Caine Mutiny. If you haven't seen it watch it. Humphrey Bogart plays his role fantastically.

"The Caine Mutiny" is an excellent movie, in part, because the novel is so well done. Sure, good books have been made into bad movies, but at least you are starting off on the right track when you have good source material. And, then, as you point out, the acting is outstanding. Both MacMurry and Bogey play against type with MacMurry being manipulative and backstabbing and Bogey weak and cowardly. Those guys are real actors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot