Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Chas

One Too Many
The recently restored print of "Metropolis" as it should be - on the big screen. Absolutely wonderful.

"The Red Shoes", also on the big screen in glorious technicolor. That one has the longest dance sequence I've ever seen. Interesting sequence; as if Salvador Dali and Busby Berkeley collaborated on it. Pretty melodramatic ending, but all in all pretty darn good.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Over the weekend, I finally got around to slipping Flags of Our Fathers into the DVD player. Bought it cheap a whiel back as a double pack with Letters from Iowa Jima. I found it very entertaining, and totally absorbing. I especially appreciated the central 'message', which was, in effect, that we should remember those people who were involved in that war for the people they were, not as some dehumanised, abstract propaganda-cartoon.

Agreed. :eusa_clap

melanie

One of the Regulars
Last night, hubby and I watched On The Buses film, what a laugh!

On-The-Buses.gif

0gZJmIMbiC2aylc.jpg

Puzzicato

One Too Many
swinggal said:
Daddy Long Legs with Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron. Was one of my fav old movies when I was a little kid.

I have been meaning to watch that again! There is a woman I see on the train sometimes who is the absolute image of Leslie Caron, and every time I see her I think what a great movie it is!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I watch Roman Holiday last night and rather enjoyed it. I was surprised I am not usually a fan of Audrey Hepburn but she was quite charming in this movie.

Edward

Bartender
Miss Golightly said:
The Lovely Bones

What did you make of that? I watched it recently and wasn't convinced.... the plot seemed to be buidling towards a big climax and then suddenly it just took a turn and there were several loose ends left hanging, but not in a way that seemed clever or deliberate, just sloppy. That said, I watched it on a plane, so it is distinctly possible that the airline (Emirates) had clumsily censored out a scene or two to the point where it lost it.

Incidently, I also watched Paranormal Experience, which you recommended a few pages ago, I think, and enjoyed it a lot. Predictable, and the final scene was rather a cliche (I was waiting for a good five minutes for what was, I think, meant to be a 'jump' shot), but tremendous fun for all that.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
What did you make of that? I watched it recently and wasn't convinced.... the plot seemed to be buidling towards a big climax and then suddenly it just took a turn and there were several loose ends left hanging, but not in a way that seemed clever or deliberate, just sloppy. That said, I watched it on a plane, so it is distinctly possible that the airline (Emirates) had clumsily censored out a scene or two to the point where it lost it.

Incidently, I also watched Paranormal Experience, which you recommended a few pages ago, I think, and enjoyed it a lot. Predictable, and the final scene was rather a cliche (I was waiting for a good five minutes for what was, I think, meant to be a 'jump' shot), but tremendous fun for all that.

I read the novel a few years ago and couldn't put it down - I really, really enjoyed it (I don't tend to read a lot of fiction - more an autobio/bio fan). I have to say that Emirates cannot be blamed for the sloppiness of this movie! I thought the visuals were beautiful but more effort seemed to be put into them than tying up the whole story and making it flow. The cast were well chosen - Stanley Tucci was extremely creepy as the role required (I like him a lot) and Saoirse Ronan was superb however what Mark Wahlberg was doing in there is anybodys guess - such a poor actor (The Happening......). Towards the end of the movie I was getting restless - a bad sign. The film promised so much but failed on so many levels.

So glad to hear you enjoyed Paranormal Activity - it is a fun movie - not intellectually taxing in the least - but a lot of fun!

Edward

Bartender
Miss Golightly said:
I read the novel a few years ago and couldn't put it down - I really, really enjoyed it (I don't tend to read a lot of fiction - more an autobio/bio fan). I have to say that Emirates cannot be blamed for the sloppiness of this movie! I thought the visuals were beautiful but more effort seemed to be put into them than tying up the whole story and making it flow. The cast were well chosen - Stanley Tucci was extremely creepy as the role required (I like him a lot) and Saoirse Ronan was superb however what Mark Wahlberg was doing in there is anybodys guess - such a poor actor (The Happening......). Towards the end of the movie I was getting restless - a bad sign. The film promised so much but failed on so many levels.

Mnn... I did think it picked up a bit when Susan Sarandon appeared - great character role, but....

SPOILER...

... was it just me, or did they seem to be headed towards her being reached the paedy's book, with evidence about his kills, and then that was just left to drop? Was that poor plot, or were we meant to infer that the sister was so happy to see her folks back together that they could all be all happy again and she didn't feel the need to have her sister's murderer caught? It seemed poorly handled, plot wise, to just let that sit like that, very unconvincing. To then add to that the paedy's accidental death, I don't know - seemed like a sloppily slotted in attempt to give the audience a sense of justice being done, that he didn't just get away with it. An interesting film, but deeply disappointing in the unsatisfactory ending. I am inclined to read the book, though.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
chanteuseCarey said:
not a movie per se... Just the other evening, a friend initiated me to the British comedy, "Wooster and Jeeves"! Two episodes from Season One I think they were.. sly, funny stuff!:)

I love Wooster and Jeeves!

Hubby and I watched Kelly's Heroes last night. Oh how I love Oddball...

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Wooster and Jeeves is a great show. I love Hugh Laurie in it so much more than House, but I digress. (and...movie thread :p )

I've recently rewatched two favorites...It (with Clara Bow), followed by It (with Tim Curry). I recall when I first saw the latter It I was more afraid of drains (sidewalk, sink and shower) than of clowns, though I can see why folks don't like clowns.

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
The night before last, I watched Sky Murder (1940) starring Walter Pidgeon. Not the best movie he ever made by a long shot, but it was ok. Today I plan on watching Dark Passage (1947) with Bogie and Bacall. I've never watched this movie in its entirety, so I'm looking forward to it. I DVR a lot of movies on TCM. I did find the dvd set of Red Skelton's Whistling in Brooklyn, Whistling in Dixie, and Whistling in the Dark online and I'm looking forward to watching them this weekend.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Mnn... I did think it picked up a bit when Susan Sarandon appeared - great character role, but....

SPOILER...

... was it just me, or did they seem to be headed towards her being reached the paedy's book, with evidence about his kills, and then that was just left to drop? Was that poor plot, or were we meant to infer that the sister was so happy to see her folks back together that they could all be all happy again and she didn't feel the need to have her sister's murderer caught? It seemed poorly handled, plot wise, to just let that sit like that, very unconvincing. To then add to that the paedy's accidental death, I don't know - seemed like a sloppily slotted in attempt to give the audience a sense of justice being done, that he didn't just get away with it. An interesting film, but deeply disappointing in the unsatisfactory ending. I am inclined to read the book, though.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took it that the sister was so happy for her family to be back together again that she was considering saying nothing about the book so as not to spoil their collective happiness - that really frustrated me - the scene seemed to just hang there - I would have been so annoyed if she didn't show them her find. The paedophile's demise was a bit tacked on alright - everyone could go home happily knowing that he had got what he deserved - justice was done.

I would recommend the book - anyone I know who has read it has really enjoyed it.

And you're right - Susan Sarandon was excellent (as always!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy