Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

melanie

One of the Regulars
The last film I watched, I watched with my hubby, and that was Nowhere Boy, which is the film about John Lennon before he was in The Beatles, and it was fab! The music, the clothes, everything about this film was fab!

nowhere-boy-lennon_1513287c.jpg

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
SkullCowboy said:
He was a megalomaniac. Normal (to us) social interactions can't be applied. Even though he was going to kill them he still wanted their approval, wanted them to be awed by his plan. Also, he led them to believe he was going to steal the gold and pay them for their investment in that enterprise. But with theft not his actual plan, pay them from his own pocket? Leave them to point to him later? Nope. Kill'em all.

Your logic is irrefutable. Auric G. had an ego the size of a Studebaker and wanted to impress his "peers." Well put, sir.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Mullholland Falls was the inspiration for me to go and buy my first hat - a Stetson Temple about the time the film came out for rental.

Mulholland Falls is a sticky on my harddrive.. love it!!

swinggal

One Too Many
Currently watching the original 'Karate Kid on tele. Hard to believe he Ralph Macchio was 23 when he made it. He looks like a 12 year old. Still love watching it. Jackie Chan will never be Mr Miagi :(

As for Ralph, he's still the youngest looking 49 year old I've ever seen :)

actor-Ralph-Macchio.jpg

grundie

One of the Regulars
Zonad.

A very funny Irish film about a drunken criminal who escapes from prison and manages to convince a whole village that he is an alien from another planet.

Despite being set in the present day, the imagery is very 1950s.

"Your black beer is very nutritious"

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Just saw The Last Airbender. Visually stunning, with great attention to detail. Making a feature film from an animated series, compressing the ideas, story arc, and character development, is a tall order. Fun, but heavily expositional. The sequel will probably build on all the set-up in this movie, and have more freedom for humor.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Queen Bee (1955) with Joan Crawford. There's no way to describe it. Manipulative Crawford runs her husband's life and estate, surrounded by characters she's either charmed or beaten into submission. She's baaaaad, and brooks no opposition. See it if you can. Part of TCM's salue to Jean Louis, who designed the gowns and fashions for many movies.

Pan's Labyrinth. By turns beautiful and painful. Visually amazing, with solid, unforced performances.

Hondo

One Too Many
Ringside Masie, 1941, staring Ann Sothern

Ringside Masie, 1941, staring Ann Sothern, George Montgomery
Very rare as its not out on DVD, saw on TCM.
loved it, full of laughs, but a weird ending...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Review is from IMDb:
This was a predictable plot, but fun to watch because of the beautiful Ann Sothern and real-life boxing characters who played small roles. I particularly enjoyed seeing Eddie Simms (played Jackie-Boy Duffy) who was a journeyman fighter with a great heart. He fought about 8 rounds with Joe Louis before being knocked out in 1935 (I think these figures are about right), and asked the referee to go for a walk on the roof with him after being knocked down. There was another fighter I recognize but can't remember, whom the hero "knocked out" early on. I wish I could remember the name, because he was a great left-hook artist who would devastate the division today.

Edward

Bartender
Over the weekend, I finally got around to slipping Flags of Our Fathers into the DVD player. Bought it cheap a whiel back as a double pack with Letters from Iowa Jima. I found it very entertaining, and totally absorbing. I especially appreciated the central 'message', which was, in effect, that we should remember those people who were involved in that war for the people they were, not as some dehumanised, abstract propaganda-cartoon. Looking forward to watching the companion disk and seeing thed same events playedout from the 'other side'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot