Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
55 Days at Peking (1963), complete with Overture music, Entr'acte music, and Exit music, featuring a vocal by Andy Williams. An epic epic. Made at the Samuel Bronston studios in Spain, the home of inexepensive spectaculars. Recorded off TCM.

I saw this in the theater with my cousins in the sixties; it was double-billed with Zulu. We called our parents and asked if we could stay and watch the whole bill again. They said yes. We were gone most of the day.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Lefty said:
Seven - it had been a while. IMO, it's still right up there with Silence of the Lambs as one of the best suspense movies ever. Even knowing the ending doesn't detract from it.

I have to agree. I watch both Silence of the Lambs and Seven fairly often. Both movies are really well told tales.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I had a friend over and used that as an excuse to watch Casablanca again.

Tomasso said:
Get Him to the Greek

I sadly admit to having succumbed to this raunchy sophomoric comedy last night. One scene in particular (airport) nearly caused me to wet my pants.:eek:

I might see that this weekend. It looks like a good laugh.

MrFairchild

New in Town
EmergencyIan said:
I watched this movie, for the first time, a few days ago. I thought it was really good.

- Ian

I never liked westerns before and I never heard of John Ford and Thomas Mitchell before I saw this film. Now I can imagine why Orson Welles watched it more than forty times while making Citizen Kane. It is really text-book film-making at its finest.

Character development, memorable dialogues, the way the story was laid out. It was written by Ben Hecht of the Gone With The Wind / Angels Over Broadway (among others) fame, so, I wouldn't expect no less, really.

Glad to see a lot of people here appreciate fine films like this.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of John Ford, I just showed my 19-year-old son The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance last night. It's my favorite western - not to disregard Stagecoach, The Searchers (or High Noon, The Gunfighter, Shane, Once Upon the Time in the West, The Outlaw Josey Wales, etc.)

He seemed to like it. I think its a masterful meditation on a variety of themes, and just brilliant.

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Our feature this week is "Vincere," a lush historical drama which might otherwise be called "Young Mussolini In Love." I guess if you're going to make a sexy epic about a dictator, Il Duce is pretty much your only choice...

lol lol lol

Annichen

Familiar Face
undereighteen.jpg

Marian Marsh,Warren William & Anita Page

004241df9f.png

d0339f2370.png

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022517/

Good film and LOTS of fabulous fashion to drool over!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I just saw Toy Story 3 the other day, a classic, and one the best of the three films.

It's whatever movie you've seen and not vintage films, correct?

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
I watched District 9. It was soooo sad; I cried so much. Also there were some parts which I thought were too violent. Like not action violence but.... ummm.... (I don't know how to describe it). Sadistic violence.

Chas

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Our feature this week is "Vincere," a lush historical drama which might otherwise be called "Young Mussolini In Love." I guess if you're going to make a sexy epic about a dictator, Il Duce is pretty much your only choice...

I dunno....Juan Peron was a hunka hunka burning Dictator as well...we need a poll.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T

TCM is showing a film called The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T right this minute. Very very, very bizarre, and wonderful. IMDB says it's the first film version of a Dr. Seuss story. Very surrealistic, rather disturbing, not really for kids. An amazing example of how the year 1953 was not as conventional as it may seem in retrospect. With Tommy Rettig (the first TV master of Lassie), Peter Lind Hays and Mary Healy, and Hans Conreid as the evil piano teacher. Dr.Terwlliger.

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Shutter Island

I'm on a break 2/3rds of the way through Shutter Island. Very good but lengthy movie.

Amusingly (to me anyhow) I kept thinking they had the bows on the wrong side of their hats... then got up from the film and put my hat on and realized that my confusion was because I only see my hat in the mirror!

kiltie

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
TCM is showing a film called The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T right this minute. Very very, very bizarre, and wonderful. IMDB says it's the first film version of a Dr. Seuss story. Very surrealistic, rather disturbing, not really for kids. An amazing example of how the year 1953 was not as conventional as it may seem in retrospect. With Tommy Rettig (the first TV master of Lassie), Peter Lind Hays and Mary Healy, and Hans Conreid as the evil piano teacher. Dr.Terwlliger.

I've had the good fortune of owning this movie on DVD for some time. I really enjoy that the strangeness gives the impression it's almost a parody of it's contemoraries.
I have to agree that it would never be made and marketed as a children's movie today...
A pretty good double feature would be to back it up with Mirrormask; sort of a Wizard of Oz reworking.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
Speaking of John Ford, I just showed my 19-year-old son The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance last night. It's my favorite western - not to disregard Stagecoach, The Searchers (or High Noon, The Gunfighter, Shane, Once Upon the Time in the West, The Outlaw Josey Wales, etc.)

He seemed to like it. I think its a masterful meditation on a variety of themes, and just brilliant.

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is a great film!

- Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch