What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Amy Jeanne, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Get Him to the Greek

I sadly admit to having succumbed to this raunchy sophomoric comedy last night.

One scene in particular (airport) nearly caused me to wet my pants.:eek:

2. A Perfect World with Kevin Costner & Clint Eastwood....

3. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

I heard Get Him to the Greek is very funny.

4. Mid-fogey

Mid-fogey Practically Family

I've always thought...

…that good science fiction needed to be both good science and good fiction. For me, I found Avatar lacking in both those areas. It’s hard to imagine an evolutionary path that gives you bio-electrical hook-ups to everything and the fiction part seemed pretty flat.

5. Wally_Hood

Wally_Hood One Too Many

The Damned Don't Cry (1950), with Joan Crawford, Steve Cochran, David Brian, and Kent Smith. The highest praise I can give this noir is that Mrs. Hood, who walks out of the room when b&w movies are on, actually was interested in the story and watched the whole thing. Chalk it up to solid acting and direction, and a basic borrowing from Mildred Pierce.

Catch this one if you haven't see it yet.

6. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

Night and the City (1950) starring Richard Widmark and Gene Tierney. Quite entertaining.

7. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

The A-Team. Pretty awful.

8. Edward

Edward Bartender

Hart's War. A rather schmaltzy, B-level WW2 film of recent years which I presume went straight to DVD, at least here in the UK. It suffers from being the typical Hollywood lionasation / hero-worshipping of WW2, but if you can get past that it's an enjoyable piece of fluff. Mostly set in a Stalag, the climactic scenes being essentially courtroom drama. The ending is the weak bit (the 'noble sacrifice' stuff, didn't buy that in the context as realistic the way it is played out), but hey ho - it's entertaining enough. I enjoyed picking out the various flying jackets and other bits of US uniforms - things I wouldn't have known before joining the FL. Also it was nice to see the experience of the Tuskagee airmen receive some attention - one of the characters portraying such a serviceman wearing a very nice B6... Oh, and the SS camp guards and commandant were nicely portrayed - human, military men, unsavoury, but not two dimensional, pantomime baddies as is so often the case.

9. Mr E Train

Mr E Train One Too Many

I'm watching a rough screener of the first part of a seven-part TCM documentary called Moguls and Movie Stars: A History of Hollywood. My wife works for Turner so she brought some of her work home with her. It's supposed to air in November, I think. It is very interesting and informative.

10. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

^Ooh that does sound interesting.
    Looking forward to seeing it on TCM.

11. Sincerely-Dee

Sincerely-Dee One of the Regulars

The Million Pound Note [1953]. Very good film.

12. Quigley Brown

Quigley Brown Call Me a Cab

I watched 'Revolutionary Road' (Leonardo DeCaprio/Kate Winslet) again last night. I don't know if it's been discussed already, but Leonardo's clothes seem a bit later than the film's set time. By the models of the cars used I'd say it was mid-50s, but Leonardo's thin ties were late-50s/early 60s. I'm guessing that the 'two-martini' lunches were a bit more 60s, too. Still, it was a good film to watch.

13. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Cold Souls with Paul Giamatti - great movie, much like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

14. Mr E Train

Mr E Train One Too Many

Oh yeah, I never did see that. Isn't that the one where Giamatti plays himself?

15. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Yep. They couldn't have picked a better guy to play him. :D

16. KY Gentleman

KY Gentleman One Too Many

The Tall T starring Randolph Scott and Richard Boone.

17. MrFairchild

MrFairchild New in Town

Stagecoach (1939 original version)

18. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Practically Family

I watched this movie, for the first time, a few days ago. I thought it was really good.

- Ian

19. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Seven - it had been a while. IMO, it's still right up there with Silence of the Lambs as one of the best suspense movies ever. Even knowing the ending doesn't detract from it.