Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Fighting Man of the Plains (1949)
A former bandit enlists Jesse James to help him clean up a Kansas town.
Randolph Scott

starlight055.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
WH1 said:
"Monte Walsh" is on TCM right now. My all time favorite western, this is the original with Lee Marvin and Jack Palance. I highly recommend this to any fan of westerns.

Thanks for the recommendation. I watched this for the first time last night and thought it was very good.

If you have not seen it I highly recommend Lonely Are the Brave with Kirk Douglas. This is an excellent film with similar themes to Monty Walsh regarding the man whose time has passed him by.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Ooh, Lonely Are the Brave is a good one!

I watched Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Although I thought it was, for the most part, well written and very well acted, I didn't care for it. The totally unnecessary omniscent narration nearly ruined it, and there were some plot points that didn't make sense, or (as in a lot of Allen's recent films) were sloppy and underdeveloped.

Anyway, despite its great cast and steamy love scenes, it somehow just didn't grab me. And I'm a lifelong Allen fan: I have generally liked his last few films, especially Whatever Works and the underrated Cassandra's Crossing.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're in the midst of a week's run of BABIES, which is exactly what you think it is -- eighty minutes of "awwwwwww!" There's also a very subtle indictment of upper-middle-class Western child-rearing practices in the juxtaposition of footage: a shot of a happy, healthy Namibian baby rolling in the mud is followed by a squirming, unhappy American baby being gone over with a lint roller.

WH1

Practically Family
Lonely Are The Brave is a great movie, if I recall correctly it is the performance Kirk Douglas favors the most. Walter Matthau is also great in it as the sheriff.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I refused to see Avatar until yesterday. It was my friends brithday and they wanted to watch the movie on dvd so I didn't have a choice. Haha
Yeah, I missed the 3 D part but I am free to say that storywise the movie is rather boring.
I am sure that I wouldn't like the digital and very shiny looks of the Blue Meanies and the Enviroment EVEN IF they put their 3D fx on every single detail.

I also don't like big fighting scenes (not even in Lord of the Rings) with the heroe's sidekicks who die for their shizzle and all. Also every diplomacy seemed to fail because evil ist just evil and good is just good.
It's a naive and dangerous view on war. Even in a science fiction or fantasy movie. It's just stupid and naive and arghs...:eek:fftopic: :mad:

Ok. So much for Avatar. Going to see some Film Noir Movies instead...:D

Flat Foot Floey

Oh that would be one sided too.
See...Horrormovies get so much hate because of the violence. But every dead is terrible.
In movies like Avatar every victim is ...uh...a part of the glorious battle of good against evil. [huh]
Also they don't elect a leader. He just gets there somehow and has strong charisma. They all believe and follow him.
History tells: DON'T

Do I take it too serious? Maybe. But I just can't enjoy stupid movies. Sorry.

Flat Foot Floey said:
Oh that would be one sided too.
See...Horrormovies get so much hate because of the violence. But every dead is terrible.
In movies like Avatar every victim is ...uh...a part of the glorious battle of good against evil. [huh]
Also they don't elect a leader. He just gets there somehow and has strong charisma. They all believe and follow him.
History tells: DON'T

Do I take it too serious? Maybe. But I just can't enjoy stupid movies. Sorry.

So according to your concepts the blue guys should have not defended themselves and willingly be placed in "relocation camps?"

Flat Foot Floey

John in Covina said:
So according to your concepts the blue guys should have not defended themselves and willingly be placed in "relocation camps?"
NO. According to my concept blue guys that are all good, brave and innocent don't exist.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Everyone has the capacity for evil. And mankind's history of inhumanity to itself doesn't bode well for our future interactions with aliens.

Of last year's SF films, I think District 9 demonstrated this trope far more effectively than Avatar. But I don't ever intend to watch either one again - Avatar had nothing to recommend it beyond production design spectacle, and District 9 was very well done, but far too disturbing and depressing...

flat-top

My 5 year old just "took me" to see Toy Story 3 for my birthday. What a great movie. It was incredibly clever, funny and extremely touching.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Today a watched 1975's "Hard Times" starring Charles Bronson. I enjoyed it!

Last night, I watched 1965's "The Sons of Katie Elder" starring John Wayne and Dean Martin. It was good, as well.

- Ian

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Our feature this week is "The Square," an Australian neo-noir, in which the protagonist is epically stupid. Pretty much every decision he makes in the picture leads to the accidental death of someone -- pretty much the whole picture is an ode to involuntary manslaughter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR