Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Turner Almost-Classic Movies

Babbitt%20(1934).jpg
Babbitt, 1934
Guy Kibbee makes Sinclair Lewis' midwest bourgeois more a comic figure than he really was (he never lowers his voice below a dull roar). Somewhat silly blackmail plot leaves the book and its bigger point behind. Aline McMahon is a stalwart Mrs. Babbitt, Claire Dodd the blonde blackmailer, and Alan Hale, Sr., Kibbee's bosom pal and lawyer.

annvick.jpg
Ann Vickers, 1933
Another Lewis tale, this one of a woman corrections worker (Irene Dunne). Pre-code issues, but they don't pack much punch, the story being somewhat rushed for screenplay purposes. Bruce Cabot and Walter Huston are good as the men in Ann's life, as is Edna May Oliver as her coworker and perpetual chaperone.

220px-Mysteriousisland1929.jpg
The Mysterious Island, 1929
The picture that killed American sci-fi film for the next two decades: a colossal bomberoo thanks to a 3-year production hold-up, sound was hastily dubbed on after the talkies broke. Loosely adapted from Jules Verne, it's a preposterous adventure of submariners (led by...Lionel Barrymore?!) in old-fashioned Russian imperial getups. Worth seeing for some very well done underwater modeling sequences, but don't hold your breath. *groooan*

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Whistle Stop, 1946, with George Raft, Ava Gardner, Tom Conway, Victor McLaglen. What a cast! George basically plays George, Ava plays George's former girl friend who inexplicably leaves Detroit to return to Nowheresville where George and the old gang hang around. Tom Conway was definitely told to impersonate George Sanders, all oily high class night club owner.

Supposedly one of the forgotten noirs, it's not that good story-wise, and the print was horrid, bleached out almost no contrast.

MillersXing

New in Town
Big Sleep

Hoosiers. I watch it almost once a month. And always cry. Guys seem to cry at only two movies: Hoosiers, and Rudy. Both had the same director. But this time, it was more than just the feeling of victory. It was Dennis Hopper. How we will all miss him.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
One hell of a good movie, but the brutality in some scenes is tough to watch. Saw it last night.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JUI-_tm-3Zc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JUI-_tm-3Zc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Written by Jim Thompson, it makes sense it would be twisted and brutal. A very entertaining pulp writer who didn't get much acclaim until after his death. "The Killer Inside Me" looks to be an excellant movie! Thanks Mr. "H" for the heads up.

Annichen

Familiar Face
Night World 1932.

m219027.jpg

Mae Clarke and Boris Karloff from Frankenstein 1932.

Also George Raft <3

raft1.JPG

3099656846_dc69ba5a31.jpg

Good entertainment,Mae is very charming and some wonderful dance scenes!;)

Night_World_1932_1.jpg

Read it about 16 years ago. Don't remember a whole lot about it other than that I enjoyed it as I have his other stories. But I am big in to that pulp/noir/hardboiled/mysteries from the early 1900s to the early 1960s thing.

swinggal

One Too Many
Just watched new indie movie "Nobody Man". And I thought 'Primer' was brain bender - this turned my mind to mush! Great concept but really hard to comprehend.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
swinggal said:
Just watched new indie movie "Nobody Man". And I thought 'Primer' was brain bender - this turned my mind to mush! Great concept but really hard to comprehend.

Now Im intrigued, because I *really* liked 'Primer' :)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo