Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Miss Golightly said:
De Battre Mon Coeur S'est Arrêté (The Beat That My Heart Skipped) - very enjoyable movie....

Miss Golightly, I see that you have a bit of a penchant for French films. May I suggest, if you haven't seen it, "Les Enfants du Marais"? It is a wonderful film and one of the very best French films I have seen.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Smithy said:
Miss Golightly, I see that you have a bit of a penchant for French films. May I suggest, if you haven't seen it, "Les Enfants du Marais"? It is a wonderful film and one of the very best French films I have seen.

I certainly do have a penchant for French movies! I just got a boxset of Claude Chabrol films - 'Les Biches' (1968), 'La Femme Infidele' (1969), 'Que La Bete Meure' (1969), 'Le Boucher' (1969), Juste Avant Le Nuit' (1971), 'Les Noches Rouges' (1973), 'Nada' (1974) and 'Madame Bovary' (1991) - which I cannot wait to get stuck into - starting today!!!!!!

Thank you for the recommendation Smithy - I will keep my eye out for it!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
"Comedy of Terrors" with Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Basil Rathbone, Joyce Jameson, and Joe E. Brown (what a cast!)

The last few before that were "The Abominable Dr Phibes", "The African Queen", and "Laura". We got on a DVD rental through the post, so we've been getting a lot of great movies. I may have a different definition of great, but I love old B movies just as much as some of the more well-known classics. American International Pictures left some real gems.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of The Odyssey, my kids and I watched the half-hour-longer director's cut of Troy last night.

It's much better than the original theatrical cut (which we had seen back in 2004), and includes a couple of cool additional scenes featuring Sean Bean's Odysseus. I still wish they had gone on to do a sequel film of The Odyssey with him!

And before the Greek myth folks go on the rampage: Yes, I know it's not a faithful adaptation of The Iliad! It completely leaves out the gods, conflates characters and events, changes vast amounts of story detail (i.e., having both Agamemnon and Menelaus die at Troy), and has far too contemporary a tone. But as a lifelong Greek myth fan myself, I still like it and find it successful for what is... and it's probably the most elaborate, serious, and star-filled film that's ever going to be made about the Trojan war...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"King Kong" (1933). Highly entertaining and even a few laughs from the old stop motion animation. Worth a gander if you haven't seen it.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Saw "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (Swedish, w/ english subtitles) yesterday at the local art house. Very faithful adaptation, superb cast, cinematography and direction. My son, who hasn't read the novel, liked it very much. The cast looks just like I imagined their characters when I read the books. Highly recommended.

Hollywood is going to tackle it too - I can't see how they could match this version.

Last vintage film I watched was the new dvd release of The African Queen - great restoration of a marvelous movie.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Nine - should have turned it off when I first thought to
Crazy Heart - decent, but not as good as expected
The Limits of Control (again) - so good it hurts. I can't stop thinking about this movie.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Deanna Durbin in "Something in the Wind."

220px-Deanna_Durbin_in_Yank_Magazine.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Blade Runner. It was on BBC America last night. This was the original version complete with the voiceover. Even though Ford hated the voice over, I rather enjoyed it. It reminded me of the old detective films & radio shows. It's been a while since I've seen this version, so it was rather refresshing to see the original.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo