Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Amelia (2009)
Hilary Swank brings just the right physicality to Amelia Earhart - and a sexy vulnerability that doesn't get in the way. But it's easy to overlook that the film is heavily stylized and distant from its characters. The period detail is, if anything, too lush. Only in the aerial sequences, and in the backgrounds among the extras, is there a feeling of realness. Not to be missed if you're a Golden Era junkie, however.

Pirate Radio (2009)
I'm not normally crazy about '60s nostalgia, but it's hard not to like this story of the good ship Radio Rock - and the BBC director (a hilariously uptight Kenneth Branagh)'s frantic campaign to drive her off the air and save Britain from those dirty hippie sounds. Philip Seymour Hoffman is great as the DJ who is the soul and conscience of Radio Rock; there are a lot of characters and subplots, some underscoring the subtle male pecking order among the jocks and how their female groupies enforce it. But there's a spirit of "all's fair" in their anarchic fun, and later on, real drama.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Swiss Family Robinson. Hadn't seen it all the way through since I was in elementary school when they showed it as an after school movie in the cafeteria. We also have Old Yeller in our queue. I'm sure to bawl like a baby at the end of that one. I did back in elementary school.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Fletch, A Serious Man was my favorite film from last year. Try seeing the first 45 minutes sometime. (Having grown up Jewish in the sixties, I found it hilariously accurate, but I was even more impressed with its mostly serious treatment of legitimate moral/ethical/religious themes.)

Speaking of A S... Man, I watched A Single Man last night. Colin Firth's performance was outstanding, but it was proof positive that nobody should ever let a fashion designer direct a movie.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
LD, I'm hardly the world's biggest fan of the Alice books, and I generally champion adaptations that rework things to better suit the purposes of film... but that movie is a disaster. Half-baked ideas that are just plain wrong (Alice is now a teenage action heroine!), Burton indulging his worst habits, and a distinct lack of the original's charm. Most annoyingly, the social criticism of the original (which admittedly, is a bit obscure to today's POV) is entirely jettisoned.

I gather that the new Gulliver movie with Jack Black does the same thing - totally ignores the original book's purpose as a societal critique, and handles it as just a special-effects comedy. When you consider that even the earlier kiddie versions of Gulliver - the Fleischer cartoon, Harryhausen film, Halmi miniseries, etc. - made real efforts to keep this stuff, it's a sad commentary on the state of film, and filmgoers, today!

/|\

One of the Regulars
Bubba Ho-tep. Bruce Campbell as an aged Elvis Presley (who is in a nursing home after having swapped places with an Elvis impersonator) and Ossie Davis as John F. Kennedy, who team up to battle a mummy in cowboy garb.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Finally watched Independence Day, well most of it anyway. It was on late and I dozed off. Would be nice to see the whole thing eventually

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo