Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Lust, Caution - a Chinese-language Ang Lee film from a couple of years ago. Plot-wise, it's a lot like Hitchcock's Notorious, but with kinky sex and a more downbeat ending. It has outstanding costumes and production design for its recreation of 30s/40s Shanghai and Hong Kong... but not a lot else going for it.

But I really have to hand to Ang Lee: every picture he makes is totally different than his others! (This one came in between Brokeback Mountain and Taking Woodstock, and is nothing like either of them!)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
El Secreto de Sus Ojos (The Secret in Their Eyes) - I had heard good things about this movie and it did not disappoint - one of the best thrillers I have seen in years - kept me glued right up to its brilliant ending.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
"Bertie and Elizabeth". A recent (last 10 years) tele-movie about the life of King George VI ("Albert" or 'Bertie') and his wife, Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mum. It covers most aspects of his life from the early 1920s to the 1950s. It mentions his time in the Navy, how he met the Queen, how they courted, married, it even covers his stuttering and Mr. Logue (if briefly). It's a wonderful film, I think.

One of my favourite bits in the movie is regarding his coronation speech to the nation:

George VI: "The Battle of Jutland would be infinitely more preferrable to this..."
Logue: "This one's a piece of cake, I promise you!"
Elizabeth: "Mr. Logue and I have taken out all the tricky words".
George [To BBC officials]: "Mr. Logue has been most helpful in assisting me with my r-ridiculous a-ability to...pronounce certain words!"
Logue [To BBC officials]: "Told him, if he gets stuck, he should yodel!"

[Everyone laughs]

Last edited:

Jesse Jack

New in Town
I've been trying to watch "Dial M For Murder" for the past couple nights and have fallen asleep. Not because it's boring but because I start it late and movies have been known to activate my snooze switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner