Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Edward

Bartender
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)
We really liked it. The cast was excellent, and you felt like you were in Sweden. Nicely done with music by Trent Reznor (NIN).
The opening credits were also very cool and dark and set the mood. Not without some hard to watch scenes, but if you're familiar with the series, I think it's very well done and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Did you see the original? I'd be interested to compare. Really dudn't see the point of a remake, but I suppose there are big markets where folks refuse to see anything not in English. I was encouragedthat in the photos i saw they seemed to be true to Lisbet rather than casting some generic Hollywood dolly and throwing her through hot Topic backwards.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Did you see the original? I'd be interested to compare. Really dudn't see the point of a remake, but I suppose there are big markets where folks refuse to see anything not in English. I was encouragedthat in the photos i saw they seemed to be true to Lisbet rather than casting some generic Hollywood dolly and throwing her through hot Topic backwards.

I'm anxious to see this, too. I'm a big fan of Daniel Craig and I think he has the chops to play the role of Blomvquist (sp?). I loved the books, and I saw the Swedish versions, so I hope this one is just as good.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
As silly as this is, I find myself stopping to watch it whenever I catch it on tv. lol

It's one of those bizarre, funny movies that the Hess brothers do so well. When they're training for their first wrestling match, I lose it every time. So darn funny.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab

I saw all three Swedish movies which I greatly enjoyed (I haven't read the books) - I can't say I'm going to bother watching the Daniel Craig version(s)....

Yes, all of them. I read the first two books too (well, mostly)
I liked this one better. Some may not, but I feel it's just more exciting and intriguing than the originals, which frankly, are a tad bland.
I didn't hate the originals, but I did enjoy this more. Daniel Craig is one of my favorite current actors, and Rooney Mara is fantastic. I think she'll get nominated, and Trent Reznor's music was perfect. The opening credits were crazy good, and TR remade Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" as the opener. Interested to hear what others here think!

Feraud

Bartender
Watched a good political drama called Fair Game with Naomi Watts and Sean Penn. The story is about the Bush Adminstration's laughable intelligence gathering tactics leading up to the 2003 invasion of Iraq and extremely illegal outing of CIA operative Valerie Plame.
My only complaint about the film is the director's inability to hold a steady camera. The poor guy seems to have the shakes.

Tommy

One of the Regulars
Manhattan Melodrama 1933 with Clark Gable, William Powell, and Myrna Loy. Moves along nicely, and lots of vintage atiire to be seen. Having seen several Clark Gable movies, I guess I never realized he tends to play shady, corruptible yet somehow redeeming characters - very strange M.O.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
'Saloon Bar' (1940): A British film set in a pub. The customers attempt to solve a murder and prevent the execution of their friend. There are some fantastic outfits - including an oddly striped shirt. The landlord has an impressive plaid suit. In one scene three men compare their legs by rolling up their trousers. All three are wearing sock suspenders. Very funny film.

dkwrtw

New in Town
This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse(1967)

The 2nd film in the "Coffin Joe" trilogy, I love Zé do Caixão and could watch these films over and over again.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian and Batman Forever with Val Kilmer. I always liked that one, though I have to say the new versions of Batman with Christian Bale are infinitely better.

Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close (2011)
Dunno. Things about it are great. But I can't put my finger on why I came away unsatisfied. Tom Hanks does a good job of dying and actually dying on screen - that is, stars can't seem to bow out gracefully in movies at times and he does here. Sandra Bullock is also underplayed which works well - the focus is elsewhere.
I really liked Max Von Sydow in this movie. He made it for me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner