Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Cowboys and Aliens. VERY entertaining! I can't understand how vilified this film was. A good western, a good action film, lots of fun. Is it the idea inherent in the title - cowboys and aliens, clearly a play on cowboys and indians?

Why is it "normal" for aliens to attack in the present (V, Armageddon, The Thing, The X-Files, etc,. etc., etc.) but the idea is somehow ridiculous in the 19th century American south-west?

Great fun!

BigFitz

Practically Family
Had a bit of insomnia last night and watched "Midnight Express". It's been awhile since I've seen it. Remember the theme on the radio?

[video=youtube;QD4Ks_EMQBY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QD4Ks_EMQBY[/video]

Last edited:
I just had the joy of watching "Queen of Outer Space" with Zsa-Zsa Gabor (1958). Watched it on Turner Classic Movies. It was awesome. The sheer misogyny of the whole thing was amazing. Short skirts, hot women, Venus with no men but the crew of a crashed Earth Ship, terrible special effects (by today's standard). I have missed some great entertainment by not watching these old "horror" movies.

The corny sci-fi can be tons of fun. It can give some interesting insights on the way things were although we have to take Hollywood's representations with a grain of salt.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Cowboys and Aliens. VERY entertaining! I can't understand how vilified this film was. A good western, a good action film, lots of fun. Is it the idea inherent in the title - cowboys and aliens, clearly a play on cowboys and indians?

Why is it "normal" for aliens to attack in the present (V, Armageddon, The Thing, The X-Files, etc,. etc., etc.) but the idea is somehow ridiculous in the 19th century American south-west?

Great fun!

I don't think the idea is ridiculous for them to be attacking in the 19th century southwest, but the townspeople's reaction to it was ridiculous, IMO. They should have been a LOT more terrified than they were.

I dunno. I didn't dislike the film, but Daniel Craig's character sort of fell flat for me. Give me Craig as Bond any day.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just finished watching That Touch of Mink with Doris Day and Cary Grant and now I'm watching To Catch a Thief, another Cary Grant flick.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
TLD is a great film and they worked hard for it to be a tribute to everyone that was involved with the invasion. The one thing that bothers me is while my German is not great the fudge factor that they take with the English subtitles for the German speaking parts. It is full of short cuts that doesn't quite give the weight of what is being said, a lot of the nuances are lost so the depth and meaning is not there.

Good point. I noticed the short cuts, too.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I don't think the idea is ridiculous for them to be attacking in the 19th century southwest, but the townspeople's reaction to it was ridiculous, IMO. They should have been a LOT more terrified than they were.

I dunno. I didn't dislike the film, but Daniel Craig's character sort of fell flat for me. Give me Craig as Bond any day.

I don't think the very public vilifying of the film had much to do with the townsfolks' reaction. And exactly how terrified does one need to be to be taken seriously? Pants wetting terrified? I'm all for realism, but.....[huh]

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I don't think the very public vilifying of the film had much to do with the townsfolks' reaction. And exactly how terrified does one need to be to be taken seriously? Pants wetting terrified? I'm all for realism, but.....[huh]

I wanted to love this movie. I was really excited to see it and I didn't see any bad reviews before I watched it, so I went in to the movie wanting to like it.

I didn't like Daniel Craig's accent, which felt very forced; the plot itself was choppy and stalled at times; and the townspeople's reaction wasn't realistic (no, this isn't at the bottom of all the bad reviews, but it contributed to my overall bad feeling of the film).

Hey, we're allowed to have our opinions, differing and alike! :)

Murder at Midnight
"Wealthy Mr. Kennedy shoots his secretary, Channing, during a parlor game, but it turns out the gun was loaded with real bullets. Luckily, criminologist Phillip Montrose is on hand to help the police. When Kennedy quickly ends up dead as well, the police think it's a tidy murder-suicide, but the family lawyer knows of a letter that voiced Kennedy's suspicions about someone who was out to get him. Soon, the cops are on the trail of a ruthless and clever killer who is one step ahead of even Montrose."

It had Alice White in it. It was worth watching. :p

Alice_White_wearing_swimsuit.jpg

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Backfire (1950), sort of a mystery, sort of noir, sort of whodunnit. With Dane Clark, Viveca Lindfors, Edmund O'Brien, Gordon McRae, and a host of other. A more apt title would have been Flashback because a lot of the movie is given over to characters narrating a flashback as the plot unfolds. Fun, with some snappy chatter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24