Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Sure. Why not? I am still having problems with my George Washington Zombie Hunter script. I know it starts off with an opening scene of a ship with a cargo of rum leaving Jamaica in 1740. You see one of the sailors walking to one of the boats to row up to the ship. A surly looking older man with gray hair is following the sailor and yelling at him. Finally the sailor turns around and tells him to go away. The man gets mad and says something we need translation for and extends his hand to the sailor as he is walking away. His eyes glow as he says the chant and the sailor stops for a second as if he feels something. He turns around and the man is no longer there. We then cut to the ship voyage and the sailor is sick and pale expelling blood from his mouth. Days later he dies but he comes back....... Then we cut to the same ship running aground on the coast of what is now Rhode Island. Over the ship's rail tumbles about 30 zombies---formerly the ships crew....... Then we get the splash screen of the title George Washington Zombie Hunter. :p

lol lol lol

THAT's why Red Dawn wasn't very good - no zombies! :eusa_doh:

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
....I am still having problems with my George Washington Zombie Hunter script. I know it starts off with .... snip

Tom Cruise for the lead I think :p

The only scary zombie is a 'fast' zombie {see 28 days/weeks Later} the old skool shambling wrecks don't do it for me :)

Bought the Lord Of The Rings extended (15 disk) BD's the other day... with over 26 hours of extras :eeek:

I've been watching some of the Costa Botes documentaries, following the production, and I am staggered how anything gets made at all... the vision that is required to see the end result of a modern FX laden production is staggering... so may elements come later, in post, that some (if not most) takes are laughable, and amateurish when seen from a perspective outside of the main units cameras, and pre FX. How they keep track of everything and deliver a cohesive and pristine looking film is quite mind boggling... I know movie making has always been a complex process, but this is quite an eye opener... and its not all postFX smoke and mirrors, but real craft too, with amazing sets, weapons and costumes etc. made to highest order.

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
I dunno if we can afford that. :p

I think we are going to have half fast zombies. :p They get slower as they rot down too. :p

Ha-ha excellent, and what a nice image just before I have my evening meal :p

And have you not heard re: Mr. Cruise?... he is finished!... so his price must be coming down by the day.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Finally saw the recent version of Les Miserables.

Didn't think I'd cry, but, yeah... & I'd like to know whose idea it was to cast Russell Crowe.

Ugh.

Edward

Bartender
Finally saw the recent version of Les Miserables.

Didn't think I'd cry, but, yeah... & I'd like to know whose idea it was to cast Russell Crowe.

Ugh.

I stand by the view that Crowe gave a very fine acting performance (in the hands of most in Hollywood, the scene where he pins the medal on the dead kid would have been spew-inducingly schmaltzy), but it's certainly true that he was outclassed in the singing department. I should have thought they already had enough 'names' to sell the picture (as Hollywood demands), but then I don't know at what stage in the process he was cast, or who else they had for certain at that point.

I've seen a whole bunch of films since I last posted to this thread. The most relevant one to TFL was Resistance (2011). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1391116/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 Set in Britain in an alternative 1944, D-Day has failed and German forces march through England, slowly establishing military control. A small, isolated Welsh village must cope through a harsh Winter with a Wehrmacht squad occupying a farmhouse, looking for something. It's a very human story, with no easy answers, no two-dimensional characters, and no bovine-excreta jingoism. A very welcome addition to the genre.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just saw Star Trek Into Darkness and loved it. Some of my favorite moments in the original casts' movies took place on earth and much of this film does. There were some fun and interesting twists and turns and a very breezy pace. The 3-D effect was beautiful and a lot of fun. It's great to see Trek back in its original form with the characters I grew up with. The one thing I really loved is how Starfleet recognizes talent making it possible for a 17 year-old kid to be on the ship. This version really feels like a crew of super talented young people dedicated to a higher ideal. It's also fun that it took two films to get to the beginning of the series.

Also, the film is doing great at the box office. The media is trying to create a negative story about it for some reason, but in eleven days the gross is only $5MM less than 2009's Star Trek and it had the benefit of years of pent up demand and the novelty of a new franchise. This one is also grossing 30% better overseas which means that it may ultimately out gross the original, but even if it doesn't it is doing very well on word-of-mouth and it deserves to. If you're on the fence, see it!

I also saw Brave. What a great kid's film. It is such a better influence than say The Little Mermaid. I really enjoyed it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Battleground with Van Johnson - a very nice depiction of the Battle of the Bulge, which is more than I can say for the next movie I watched, one called Battle of the Bulge and starring Henry Fonda, which was over 3 hours long and not very historically accurate.

I caught the end of Kelly's Heroes today, too. "Always with the negative waves!"

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I've seen a whole bunch of films since I last posted to this thread. The most relevant one to TFL was Resistance (2011). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1391116/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 Set in Britain in an alternative 1944, D-Day has failed and German forces march through England, slowly establishing military control. A small, isolated Welsh village must cope through a harsh Winter with a Wehrmacht squad occupying a farmhouse, looking for something. It's a very human story, with no easy answers, no two-dimensional characters, and no bovine-excreta jingoism. A very welcome addition to the genre.

I believe this is based on a book (that I have and have not yet read), so I'm thrilled that there is a movie, too. Will have to see if I can watch it here in the States.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
I stand by the view that Crowe gave a very fine acting performance (in the hands of most in Hollywood, the scene where he pins the medal on the dead kid would have been spew-inducingly schmaltzy), but it's certainly true that he was outclassed in the singing department. I should have thought they already had enough 'names' to sell the picture (as Hollywood demands), but then I don't know at what stage in the process he was cast, or who else they had for certain at that point.

True. I thought he did a great job acting, as always. It was just hard to take him seriously singing. Not used to that. lol

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I saw Into Darkness last night. I was pretty underwhelmed by it. I enjoyed it, but it's not something I would see again. I thought the fight scenes were boring, too long, and not suspenseful enough. I found a lot of the scenes and situations unbelievable and most of the characters under-developed.

I thought the first reboot was so much better, saw it twice. It's rare that I'm bored or in disbelief at a film- I have a high tolerance for this stuff. I was surprised by my reaction to the second film.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
True. I thought he did a great job acting, as always. It was just hard to take him seriously singing. Not used to that. lol

Russell Crowe actually has a band and he's the lead singer. I don't think he's a great singer, either, but his band (named TOFOG - 30 Odd Foot of Grunts) has quite a following.

Last edited:

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Russell Crowe actually has a band and he's the lead singer. I don't think he's a great singer, either, but his band (named TOFOG - 30 Odd Foot of Grunts) has quite a following.

I remembered this & thought he had a good voice then, just not the operatic tone needed for Les Mis, apparently. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy