Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
"Deliverance", after reading the book, just to see what all the fuss was about.
:eeek:
Actually my wife and I have several of Burt Reynold's early movies, especially the Southern ones.
Burt and Ned star together again in White Lightning the next year (after Deliverance).
Very good movie IMHO.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Hatchet For The Honeymoon (1970).
With a Canadian actor in a Spanish/Italian film.
Lots of cute European women, set in the 70's, complete with the hairstyles but not the wide ties and paisley since this is the beginning of the decade. The fashions aren't that bad. What's funny is that the Canadian isn't dubbed but the rest of the cast is.
Also filmed in a former Dictator's house. Very nice.

I watched "Pushover" yesterday and was underwhelmed. Fred MacMurray seems flat / sleepy through most of it. I neither believe him as a cop nor as a cop going bad. His putative explanation speech, where he alludes to why he would become a crocked cop - which should have been a highlight - feels as if he is reading lines. And there is no, none, zero, zilch chemistry between Kim Novak and him. The scene where they meet (in her car) is painfully awkward. He doesn't even appear attracted to her (and he is supposed to be), which really shouldn't require much acting at all. That said, E.G. Marshall puts in his usual understatedly excellent performance and the movie does have some fun time-travel clothes, police technology, scenic aspects to it. Overall though, I was disappointed as the story doesn't work because MacMurray isn't convincing in his role.

Scared the heck out of my sons. :rofl:

I remember watching "Rear Window" as a kid on TV (I think it was on a Saturday night as, occasionally, the networks would run an old classic when they had a programming lull) and, like your sons, being frightened by Raymond Burr's character. I didn't see it again until I was an adult at which time the style of the the movie and Grace Kelly's prepossessing beauty overwhelmed me. I saw "Pushover" yesterday (posted about it above) and noticed a faint echo (or foreshadowing, since "Pushover" and "Rear Window" where released in the same year - don't know which came first) to "Rear Window" as a chunk of time in "Pushover" is devoted to cops watching a suspect in an apartment building where they also watch another tenant who, eventually, becomes involved in the plot. Funny how stuff like that happens.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I watched "Pushover" yesterday and was underwhelmed. Fred MacMurray seems flat / sleepy through most of it. I neither believe him as a cop nor as a cop going bad. His putative explanation speech, where he alludes to why he would become a crocked cop - which should have been a highlight - feels as if he is reading lines. And there is no, none, zero, zilch chemistry between Kim Novak and him. The scene where they meet (in her car) is painfully awkward. He doesn't even appear attracted to her (and he is supposed to be), which really shouldn't require much acting at all. That said, E.G. Marshall puts in his usual understatedly excellent performance and the movie does have some fun time-travel clothes, police technology, scenic aspects to it. Overall though, I was disappointed as the story doesn't work because MacMurray isn't convincing in his role.

Pushover really should have been a sort of companion piece to Double Indemnity, since there are some similarities between the two. One problem is MacMurray's age; he really is a bit too old for Novak.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Griff1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot