Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Denton

One of the Regulars
(Regardless of your opinion of the movie, I would give Orson Welles' entrance in "The Third Man" [wet, desolate street, his mass tucked in a doorway, coming in and out of view with the overhead blinking light and with a wry smile on his face] my vote for best entrance in a movie by a male actor.)

I completely agree, one of the most beautiful entrances in movies, along with Louise Brooks in Pandora's Box.

You may be right about Rita Hayworth's entrance in Gilda. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember her entrance, although I know that movie pretty well.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Never before, nor after, did Rita Hayworth look better in a movie (and she looked very good in many of them). But it wasn't simply physical - she seemed to spark with Glenn Ford / the script played to her strengths (the best delivery of a song by her ever ["Put the Blame on Mame"]) and she seemed truly to be enjoying herself in the movie.

Maybe because her life became so tangled later, she couldn't recapture the joy she seems to have had during Gilda. And, IMHO, her entrance in Gilda is the best entrance in a movie by any female star ever: it was joy, beauty, youth and just a bit of "I get the joke" attitude all wrapped around a mountain of hair.

(Regardless of your opinion of the movie, I would give Orson Welles' entrance in "The Third Man" [wet, desolate street, his mass tucked in a doorway, coming in and out of view with the overhead blinking light and with a wry smile on his face] my vote for best entrance in a movie by a male actor.)

No, you've ******** good taste. I'll have to think on best male entrance for a while. I love "The Third Man", I personally think it's great film and a masterful "Film Noir". Rita Hayworth... I admit I'm not versed on her entire career but I know when I'm hit... and she got me right between the eyes!

Worf

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Never before, nor after, did Rita Hayworth look better in a movie (and she looked very good in many of them). But it wasn't simply physical - she seemed to spark with Glenn Ford / the script played to her strengths (the best delivery of a song by her ever ["Put the Blame on Mame"]) and she seemed truly to be enjoying herself in the movie.

Maybe because her life became so tangled later, she couldn't recapture the joy she seems to have had during Gilda. And, IMHO, her entrance in Gilda is the best entrance in a movie by any female star ever: it was joy, beauty, youth and just a bit of "I get the joke" attitude all wrapped around a mountain of hair.

Agreed: and it comes about halfway into the film.

Runner-up for Best Entrance in a Movie by a Male Actor: Omar Sharif as Sherif Ali, riding up to the water hole, in Lawrence of Arabia.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Again:
Greenfingers_film.jpg

Every time I need to forget the cold and grey winter outside, I watch this one. :D

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Good! Porco Rosso is a great flick! It's fun and interesting, and occasionally beautiful.

I cherish all of Miyazaki's films, but Porco Rosso is the only one (until his current, final one) with a middle-aged hero rather than a child, and even with its fantastic elements, it's a lot closer to historical fiction than his usual far-ranging fantasy. (Not that I don't love Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, etc.!)

Porco Rosso: I'm a pig. I don't fight for honor. I fight for a paycheck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24