Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I just saw "The Little Giant" for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. While dated in ways, being pre-code, it was also very fresh in spots as when one character refers to not having had a hallucination since he stopped using cocaine or when Edward G Robinson gives his soon-to-be ex-"girlfriend" some money as a parting gift (not seeing that stuff after the code was enforced).

Also, despite some overacting and a can-easily-see-what's-coming-next plot, it had some nice character interaction - EGR and Mary Astor showed some real chemistry and their scenes together had the most humanity in the film. Also, the clothes, cars and architecture were a time travel dream. My recording (I had set my DVR to record it off of TCM) stopped a few minutes before the movie ended. Everything looked like EGR and Mary Astor were going to get together, but again, my recording kicked out before the end - is that what happened / did anything else interesting happen at the end?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
About 10 minutes of "Disco Godfather" starring Rudy Ray More aka "Dolemite".... And trust me when I say that was about 9 minutes too many! I'm so glad I was in uniform and missed this drivel the FIRST time it came around.

Worf
Not his best work. [huh]
The plot is thin, even for this genre.
Shoot, it's even a thinner plot than Moore's Petey Wheatstone.

C
About 10 minutes of "Disco Godfather" starring Rudy Ray More aka "Dolemite".... And trust me when I say that was about 9 minutes too many! I'm so glad I was in uniform and missed this drivel the FIRST time it came around.

Worf

All you had to say was "Dolemite" and I knew that it could only be bad, really bad.
:D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Not his best work. [huh]
The plot is thin, even for this genre.
Shoot, it's even a thinner plot than Moore's Petey Wheatstone.

Plot? Plot?? These folks couldn't SPELL "Plot" if you spotted them the P and the T much less write one. I felt brain cell's litterally jumping to their deaths... A loss of 20 IQ points... MINIMUM!

ARRRRRRGH!!!!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Plot? Plot?? These folks couldn't SPELL "Plot" if you spotted them the P and the T much less write one. I felt brain cell's litterally jumping to their deaths... A loss of 20 IQ points... MINIMUM!

ARRRRRRGH!!!!
Well it involved Disco, and he was a Godfather.
IMHO a thin plot. :D
A lot of RRM's movies are that way, focusing on his style as a comedian, if you can use that term with him.
You can't put it on the same level as Trouble Man, Shaft, or even Truck Turner.
It's closer to Cleopatra Jones or Black Shampoo, just not as interesting, and certainly not as much action.
When I saw DG I expected more too (it's been a few years since I've seen it), but apparently it's not even as well made
as Blackenstien. :p

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
To watch a movie made today with all the great film technology of lenses, computer effects & sounds
that is available today. If the plot or story is not there....it can be totally frustrating & very
disappointing as well. [huh]

Escape from New York on AMC

Niiiiiice.

Bob Hauk: Remember, once you're inside you're on your own.
Snake Plissken: Oh, you mean I can't count on you?
Bob Hauk: No.
Snake Plissken: Good!

snake.jpg

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
Cabin in the Woods

I long ago lost all interest in attractive young people being stalked by creature/stalker style horror movies. I only wanted to see this one, because I heard about it's unique twist. It also helps that it was co-written by Joss Whedon.

This movie is fun, and just keeps getting better as it goes!

The Wheeler-Dealers, with James Garner and Lee Remick, and Sadie McKee (1934) with Joan Crawford, Franchot Tone, and Edward Arnold.

And, while not a movie, the third episode of Call the Midwife...

I always enjoy Franchot Tone in a movie (man knows how to wear clothes) and am surprised at how seemingly forgotten he is today. While I'm enjoying "Call the Midwife" this year, the stories seem a bit repetitive and treacly versus last season, but the period clothes, architecture, cars, etc., make up for it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I always enjoy Franchot Tone in a movie (man knows how to wear clothes) and am surprised at how seemingly forgotten he is today.
Well, he wasn't a particularly big star even in his own era and, generally speaking, the megastars are the ones who stand the test of time.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Cabin in the Woods

I long ago lost all interest in attractive young people being stalked by creature/stalker style horror movies. I only wanted to see this one, because I heard about it's unique twist. It also helps that it was co-written by Joss Whedon.

This movie is fun, and just keeps getting better as it goes!

I concur... This if the movie that makes me believe that Whedon is this generations Lucas/Speilberg except he has far more talent. You might have an argument with him vs. Speilberg but he beats Lucas 6 ways to Sunday and everyday of the week. Great fun movie that my son recommended and surpised the hell out of me.

Worf

cakesandcakes

New in Town
I haven't seen it quite yet, but I'm really excited for Only Lovers Left Alive. It's got Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston starring as vampires, and the reviews have been fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy