Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The Saint starring Val Kilmer and Elizabeth Shue. I know hardly anyone likes this movie, but I saw it in college and fell in love with it. I still love it. So there. :D

DNO

One Too Many
Captains of the Clouds on TCM the other day. Always enjoy that one. Great to see the old bush planes...I spotted a Norseman and a Stinton, I believe. Good stuff. Cagney's fun, as always. It was interesting to see Air Marshall Billy Bishop. The man was a serious pilot in WW1: 72 victories credited to him.

Pity about the Hurricane dressed up as a German fighter, but what else could they do?

The first film - Star Wars - (I'll have none of this revisionist New Hope nonsense) was great, because there were other people around to rain him in. The other two he had little to do with. The best of them all was Empire, for which Lucas was rarely even on set. Those dreadful prequels were pure, untrammelled George Lucas getting everything exactly as he wanted...
I still maintain Star Wars is better than The Empire Strikes Back for one simple reason--it's the only movie in the franchise that anyone can watch and understand without having to watch the film that came before it, after it, or both, for the characters and situations to make sense. Granted, this was by design because nobody knew Star Wars would be as successful as it was and a sequel was not guaranteed, but I think my reasoning still stands. The Empire Strikes Back is a great movie, but if the viewer hasn't seen Star Wars the character relationships and their motives for doing what they do don't make much sense.

...Lucas has the occasional nice idea, but he can't write and he can't direct. Thx1138 was decent, but I'm pretty sure that was an accident. What he really needs are other peopke to flesh out his ideas and bring them to fruition. Strip the others away, and you get the Prequels. Those are Lucas, and the latest version is better by far. Lucas knows itcwill forevercbe bettercthan his Prequels, and he's clearly furious.
I think he has seller's remorse. Star Wars was his "baby" for more than four decades and, even though it was voluntary, it's difficult to watch someone else raise your "child" if you disagree with their decisions and the plans they have for that child's future.

As for the Prequel Trilogy, I wish Mr. Lucas would have learned from his friend Steven Spielberg. Spielberg has admitted Jaws became a better movie because the mechanical shark didn't work initially--it forced him to get more creative. If Lucas had someone--anyone--on his staff who would or could tell him "No!" occasionally, it might have forced him to get more creative as well. Unfortunately, he surrounded himself with "Yes" men like Rick McCallum, and the results speak for themselves. I don't dislike the Prequel Trilogy movies as vehemently as some fans, but I do think they could have been so much better if Lucas hadn't been free to indulge every one of his whims.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We watched SW Revenge of the Sith last night to complete the "first" three in the story line. As I've noted previously, these three films are not as bad as many seem overly enthusiastic to point out, and this was probably the best of the three, but not by much. Clones was probably the weakest, and Anakin's poutiness and the poorly orchestrated romance the biggest issues there.

We enjoyed the re-introduction to those films but are certainly looking forward to showing our girls the next/first three! I do agree, these are the classics.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Whiplash" - Possibly the best film I've seen in ages. I never went to a music academy. I failed in my try out for Music and Art (yeah THAT one) on double bass. However this was less a movie about music as about obsession. Mid-way through Puddin' said that the film reminded her of "The Black Swan" with drumsticks. It's at least as intense as the other film but just when I thought it couldn't get any more wild it would ratchet up another notch or two. I finished, wowed, stunned, wrung out and proud to be a member of the fraternity of professional musicians. The maestro makes Captain Bligh look like a Boy Scout in Church on Sunday morning!

Worf

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
"Whiplash" - Possibly the best film I've seen in ages. I never went to a music academy. I failed in my try out for Music and Art (yeah THAT one) on double bass. However this was less a movie about music as about obsession. Mid-way through Puddin' said that the film reminded her of "The Black Swan" with drumsticks. It's at least as intense as the other film but just when I thought it couldn't get any more wild it would ratchet up another notch or two. I finished, wowed, stunned, wrung out and proud to be a member of the fraternity of professional musicians. The maestro makes Captain Bligh look like a Boy Scout in Church on Sunday morning!

Worf

Interesting comments, but not my tempo.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
^^^

You look kinda familiar!

STAR WARS - the one, the only, the original. My girls finally got to meet their new hero, Princess Leia. Also having to explain to my wife that Boba Fett in this one was the kid* of Jango Fett, the cloned guy, from "earlier".

Pls forgive spelling errors if any, I'm not a fan boy, just a fan!

*Well, the clone he asked to keep that didn't have the growth spurt gene added in!

Last edited:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) my five year olds favorite toys doped up on Russian military grade steroids, got a carton of sodas, and stayed up all night binge-watching the 'Matrix' trilogy.
I did kinda like the downhill chase in the snow scene...kinda reminded me of James Bond a little.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I watched "Sicario". While the performances were overall very good and the directing taute I thought the premise very flawed and therefore everything that flowed from that was the fruit of a poisoned tree. The plot and the structure of the movie just did not work for me. The characters just not plausible.
The Emily Blunt character was just annoying and when Brolin punched her I thought "hit her again" for being such a twit. AND when Benito shot her I thought, "good move".

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
The Revenant - Holy cow, this had an atmosphere, and it was brutal! Probably one of the most brutal stories of survival I've ever seen. The kicker? This story is actually less embellished than the one it's based on! The fictional parts were that he had a son and he fought Fitzgerald (in reality, Fitzgerald had managed to make it into the Army, and Glass would have went to jail had he killed him).There's a sense of suspense and isolation here that you would, in all likelihood, find in some of Spielberg's best movies like Jaws, Jurassic Park, and E.T. You really begin to wonder if Glass will ever even make it back. This is the sure win for the Best Cinematography Oscar, but if DiCaprio doesn't get Best Actor for this one, you know the awards are rigged against him.

Helena Grace

New in Town
The Last films I watched was L.A. Confidential, Holiday Inn, and then....Oh, what's that one with Nevin in it - I can't ever recall the name....ah! A Matter of Life and Death.

"Dawn Patrol" with Errol Flynn, David Niven and Basil Rathbone. I saw it many, many years ago, but didn't remember it and was surprised how much of one of my favorite movies, "Twelve O'Clock High," was lifted right out of this movie - I'd say, 80% of "Twelve O'Clock High" was lifted right out of "Dawn Patrol." That said, while "Dawn Patrol" is very well done, "Twelve O'Clock High" does a better job with it as you feel a stronger connection to the characters and the central tension - how flight commanders emotionally deal with sending young boys to die on missions day in and day out - is exposed and examined with more complexity in "12 O'Clock High."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner