Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And Kevin Spacey sang his own Bobby Darin.

I mean they went through the detail of giving Phenix brown contact lenses, they could of at least done a mix.

LD

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Patrick Murtha said:
Biopics go both ways on this. Sissy Spacek did her own singing as Loretta Lynn in Coal Miner's Daughter, to deserved great acclaim and an Academy Award. Jessica Lange lip-synched the very distinctive-sounding Patsy Cline in Sweet Dreams, and got less acclaim (although it's still a darn good performance, and earned Lange an Oscar nomination). Angela Bassett lip-synched Tina Turner in What's Love Got to Do With It: another Oscar nomination, but not a win.

I really didn't care for 'Ray' since Jamie Foxx lip-synched the singing.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Patrick Murtha said:
Biopics go both ways on this. Sissy Spacek did her own singing as Loretta Lynn in Coal Miner's Daughter, to deserved great acclaim and an Academy Award. Jessica Lange lip-synched the very distinctive-sounding Patsy Cline in Sweet Dreams, and got less acclaim (although it's still a darn good performance, and earned Lange an Oscar nomination). Angela Bassett lip-synched Tina Turner in What's Love Got to Do With It: another Oscar nomination, but not a win.

David Carradine neither looked nor sang like Woody Gutherie but he was brilliant in the brilliant Bound For Glory, which I just watched again this week.... thanks Uncle Ted!

49315.1020.A.jpg

geoff_icp

New in Town
I just watched "The Country Girl". Bing Crobsy does an amazing performance, as does William Holden. And Princess Grace... I can't get enough of her!!

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
Blade Runner 25th

Just saw Blade Runner on the big screen. Like "The Long Goodbye" it does an excellant job of incorparating vintage looks (and themes, of course) into modern or ultra-modern contexts. Plus it is just the coolest movie ever.

Jovan

Suspended
Weren't the cleaned up prints spectacular looking? Seriously now, what ever happened to ILM's model shops? You simply cannot produce effects like that anymore with all CGI. There's a time and place for it and it's not for "stunt doubles," ships exploding, and landscapes for sure.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I watched United 93 this weekend (for the first time). Very well done, but it put me in such a strange place emotionally. I hadn't really re-visited 9/11 in years, but I took this opportunity to also look at a lot of clips on YouTube, and between the movie and the videos, it all came flooding back.

As it happened, I had taken off from work that day, and had slept in; I lived in Chicago at the time, and had planned a special trip to a Cubs game in the afternoon. I got a call waking me up after the second plane hit (around 8:00 AM Central Time), from a friend telling me to turn on my television immediately. I was riveted and appalled for the rest of the day, all the more so because I grew up in northern New Jersey a stone's throw from (and within sight of) Manhattan.

I think that, for my generation collectively (I was born in 1958), it was the most significant day of our lives.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Based on a recommendation from my girlfriend's sister, we went to "The Savages" Saturday night. AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! If this is what we have to look forward to in old age, let's all just kill ourselves now. Can't remember when I've hated a movie so thoroughly. GREAT acting by Laura Linney and Philip Seymour Hoffman, as well as Philip Bosco. Everybody in the world seems to think this flick is great, but it just made me want to smash something.
Speaking of "Wings" on TCM the other night (GREAT!) did anyone else stay up for the fim that followed it? It was "Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans". It got the "other" best movie for 1927. A ravishingly gorgeous masterpiece of a film. Some call it the greatest silent film ever made. It has a wonderful performance by Janet Gaynor. Catch it next time they show it.
Finally, to make up for "The Savages", we watched a DVD that I got for $1 last year, called "The Dancing Pirate". It's a black and white copy of the first Technicolor musical. Pretty lame, too much dumb plot, not enough music. But it does have Frank Morgan, and a leading man named Charles Collins, who was clearly never any threat to Fred Astaire, but still a good dancer. It was cute, with some good musical numbers. Definitely worth a dollar.

Kilted_Surveyor

Familiar Face
Bull Durham and The Natural....

I play on a mens 38 and older baseball team and our practices started on Sunday. So as tradition goes, my lovely bride and I always watch these movies the night before my first practice!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Re The Savages

Our Sunday morning film club - who never announce what they are showing in advance - ran The Savages back before it was released, but my sister and I decided immediately on arrival that we (ourselves and our eightysomething parents) shouldn't see it. I'm sure the performances were great, but it's just WAY too close to home with what our family is going through right NOW, and it was bound to be incredibly painful and awkward for all us... Actually, this particular film was a pretty poor choice for the mature-to-elderly crowd in this particular audience.

(We then we missed the next two films - Juno and Persepolis, dammit! - because we had snowstorms on those Sunday mornings [not bad enough for them to cancel the showings, mind you, but bad enough for those of us coming from up in Putnam county to not want to drive]. After a decade, we quit the film club in disgust!)

Sunrise, on the other hand, is a delight. Beautiful, moving, timeless, classic.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Speaking of "Wings" on TCM the other night (GREAT!) did anyone else stay up for the fim that followed it? It was "Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans". It got the "other" best movie for 1927. A ravishingly gorgeous masterpiece of a film. Some call it the greatest silent film ever made. It has a wonderful performance by Janet Gaynor. Catch it next time they show it.

Sunrise is magnificent. You should also check out King Vidor's 1927 silent masterpiece The Crowd when the opportunity arises (not on DVD yet, unfortunately, but it probably shows up on TCM occasionally).

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
jake_fink said:
David Carradine neither looked nor sang like Woody Gutherie but he was brilliant in the brilliant Bound For Glory, which I just watched again this week.... thanks Uncle Ted!

49315.1020.A.jpg
I really want to see this movie. I do love Woody Gutherie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy