Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
deadpandiva said:
Notes on A Scandal, Bobby, Love Actually and the first half of Pride and Prejudice on PBS.

Oh, how was Notes on a Scandal? I've wanted to watch it since the previews came out--it looks fantastic. Both leading ladies are two of my favorite actresses.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
ghostdog said:
Still in a noir mode these days since I got my first fedora, so tonight I think I'm gonna watch 'Where the sidewalk ends'. Any Loungers seen that one yet?

Have to agree with Patrick. This was a great film - and I love the pairing of Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews again. They are both my favorite Golden Age stars.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
sweetfrancaise said:
Oh, how was Notes on a Scandal? I've wanted to watch it since the previews came out--it looks fantastic. Both leading ladies are two of my favorite actresses.
I 2nd what Doctor Strange said. I also found it a little twisted but really good.

kiltie

Practically Family
Tunes of Glory...again

Super excellent movie with Alec "Obi Wan" Guinness as the old school acting colonel of a Highland regiment in peacetime, at odds with a new commanding officer. A real opportunity to see how he picked up the nifty title of "Sir". A lot of British-ism and a neat picture of what it once must've meant to be an officer in that Army ( mandatory dancing, anyone? ). Very good.

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
AmateisGal said:
Have to agree with Patrick. This was a great film - and I love the pairing of Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews again. They are both my favorite Golden Age stars.

Add my recommendation. A good, tense noir. Not to mention that it has Gene Tierney. :D

Jovan

Suspended
Spiffy said:
Pretty much because of the scene in the courtroom where Toby Maguire makes William H. Macy cry. It just starts me off, and then Fiona Apple's cover of Across the Universe starts, and I'm just a horrible weepy mess.

I promise that I'm pretty normal the rest of the movie!
I really need to rewatch this movie...

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Spiffy said:
Pretty much because of the scene in the courtroom where Toby Maguire makes William H. Macy cry. It just starts me off, and then Fiona Apple's cover of Across the Universe starts, and I'm just a horrible weepy mess.

I promise that I'm pretty normal the rest of the movie!

Oh, Pleasantville makes me tear up, if not outright cry at several places too:

The scene in the maltshop with the Brubeck playing in the background "There are some places that the road doesn't go in a circle. There are some places where the road keeps going..."

When Maguire is putting the makeup on his mother to try and cover her color--Joan Allen is just a genius.

The scene where Mr. Johnson is painting the window.

The dialog during the courtroom scene with Macy: "I know you miss her, I mean, you told me you did. But maybe it's not just the cooking or the cleaning that you miss. Maybe it's something else. Maybe you can't even describe it. Maybe you only know it when it's gone. Maybe it's like there's a whole piece of you that's missing, too. Look at her, Dad. Doesn't she look pretty like that? Doesn't she look just as beautiful as the first time you met her? Do you really want her back the way she was? Doesn't she look wonderful? Now, don't you wish you could tell her that?" And the expressions on Macy's face--guh!

The last scene with "Across the Universe" where they admit they don't know what is going to happen.

One of my favorite movies.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
kiltie said:
Super excellent movie with Alec "Obi Wan" Guinness as the old school acting colonel of a Highland regiment in peacetime, at odds with a new commanding officer. A real opportunity to see how he picked up the nifty title of "Sir". A lot of British-ism and a neat picture of what it once must've meant to be an officer in that Army ( mandatory dancing, anyone? ). Very good.

I used to watch his Ealing comedies on the Public Television station as a child; I think I was the only 9 year old who wanted to see Star Wars because it was an Alec Guinness movie!

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
SamMarlowPI said:
i hear Robert Mitchum did a pretty good job in the remake...
I saw that available recently and wondered about other opinions on it... Also there is a marlowe tv series out with someone from deadwood in it. Anybody know anything about it? This might be off topic for this thread... is there a Chandler thread somewhere?

ghostdog

New in Town
GeniusInTheLamp said:
Add my recommendation. A good, tense noir. Not to mention that it has Gene Tierney. :D

Just saw Where The Sidewalk Ends last night... Yep, you people were right, it was a damn good noir movie. Dana Andrews was great as the tough guy copper. Lotsa hat scenes too :) Any more Dana Andrews movie recommendations?

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
ghostdog said:
Just saw Where The Sidewalk Ends last night... Yep, you people were right, it was a damn good noir movie. Dana Andrews was great as the tough guy copper. Lotsa hat scenes too :) Any more Dana Andrews movie recommendations?

I strongly recommend A Walk in the Sun, The Ox-Bow Incident, and Canyon Passage -- a classic World War II movie and two great westerns. Three key noir films with Andrews -- While the City Sleeps, Beyond a Reasonable Doubt, and Brainstorm -- are not yet out on DVD. Fallen Angel is available on DVD, however, and it is a wonderful noir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo