Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

funneman

Practically Family
KY Gentleman said:
I'm watching the John Carpenter version of "The Thing". I've seen it a bunch of times and the commentary by Carpenter and Russell is really good. Most of the time they're not discussing the movie but talking about what they've been doing lately in their real lives! I liked Kurt Russells sombrero, too.

Great movie. I remember the first time I watched it. As soon as it ended, I started it once again. I watched it three times without moving from my chair.
One of the best remakes ever.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Atonement. I think this is one of the most beautifully-produced films I've ever seen. The lighting, the costumes, the acting, the settings...it was all simply gorgeous. A powerful story, even if I didn't particularly like the ending (I'm a happily-ever-after girl at heart.)

ortega76

Practically Family
Song of the Thin Man

I love the series. I am spending Easter by my lonesome while my wife and step-son take a mother-son trip to see her mom. I'm drinking mimosas and eating scrambled eggs, waffles, toast and bacon while watching this classic.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Not by my choice I watched Logan's Run on Saturday night. My friends and I ended up MST3King it, which made it bearable but, whoa, what a stinker! If this was sci-fi in 1976 no wonder Star Wars had problems finding funding!

Hondo

One Too Many
I saw (again) Empire of the Sun, Christian Bale is good but makes me feel old,
a favorite is John Malkovich, they actually called him Bale's Long John Silver lol
Under appreciated Spielberg film, see it again!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
It was a movie-watching day. After watching Atonement this morning, hubby and I watched Will Smith in I Am Legend. A creepy thriller. Then we took the kids to see The Spiderwick Chronicles at the movie theater. Very cute, fun movie.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
More film noir classics!

I watched another flick from The Film Noir Classic Collection, "Act of Violence".
It has been an awesome flick. Van Heflin, Robert Ryan and Vivian Leigh.
Taut story and great hats, suits and hard-boiled dialogue.
I love this stuff....

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just watched the extended version of I Am Legend with the alternate ending. I think I like it better than the theatrical.

The animated shorts at the end are pretty good as well.

Feraud

Bartender
KY Gentleman said:
I watched another flick from The Film Noir Classic Collection, "Act of Violence".
It has been an awesome flick. Van Heflin, Robert Ryan and Vivian Leigh.
Taut story and great hats, suits and hard-boiled dialogue.
I love this stuff....
A great film! Does it seem that Robert Ryan is not as well known as he should be? He is one of my favorites.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Feraud said:
A great film! Does it seem that Robert Ryan is not as well known as he should be? He is one of my favorites.

Check out Sam Fuller's House of Bamboo. Robert Ryan and Robert Stack -- that's my kind of movie!

By the way, speaking of Robert Stack, my new avatar is the actual Eliot Ness -- a hero of mine.

Feraud

Bartender
Patrick Murtha said:
Check out Sam Fuller's House of Bamboo. Robert Ryan and Robert Stack -- that's my kind of movie!

By the way, speaking of Robert Stack, my new avatar is the actual Eliot Ness -- a hero of mine.
I have it on dvd!:) Stack is a bit...wooden in his performance but Robert Ryan is his usual intense self! Unfortunately not enough of the beautiful location (Japan) was shown.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Feraud said:
I have it on dvd!:) Stack is a bit...wooden in his performance but Robert Ryan is his usual intense self! Unfortunately not enough of the beautiful location (Japan) was shown.

I love Stack in everything, so I might be a bit uncritical there; this performance definitely foreshadows his rectitude as Eliot Ness. Stack is very interesting when he goes off, as in his Oscar-nominated performance in Written on the Wind.

Feraud

Bartender
To be fair I have seen Stack in very few films. His performance may just what was necessary for the film.
Good, bad, or indifferent, very few actors can share the screen with Robert Ryan. He was dynamite on screen!

Hondo

One Too Many
Well even if St. Patricks Day is over,
I saw Leprechaun #1 with Warwick Davis and Jennifer Aniston ;)
I think it was her first film, creepy as it is,
I don't need to see the rest of this little guy or leprechaun:D

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
Cast a Deadly Spell... it FINALLY appeared on torrent, and I take the view if HBO release it before you chaps are older and I am dead, I'll buy it on whichever region DVD they release it on... until then, I'm stuck with piracy (me hearties!)

It's something of the holy grail of films for me, since it combines a nice reworking of H.P. Lovecraft in a hard boiled milleu with a light touch without disrepect for any of the genres parodied. Fred Ward turns in an understated performance as H. Philip Lovecraft, PI in 1948 LA where EVERYONE uses magic, except him. Clancy Brown chews the scenery in one of his pre-Kurgan roles and basically it's a good old fashioned 'Film Noir meets Cosmic horror in a light comedy'.

Otherwise, I've got the HPL film festival Vol 5 Strange Aeons: The Thing on the Doorstep to watch next up...

If you chaps haven't seen it... the HPLHS prodcution of "The Call of Cthulhu" is well worth getting on DVD... A silent film with most of the effects done in camera or using 1920s technology (there is one use of CGI, and that was due to them running out of time and money) Loads more atmosphere than that ghastly po-faced grind house nonsense...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner