Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Hondo

One Too Many
MaryDeluxe said:
I recently went on a date and saw 10,000 BC. The movie was okay but the date was better! ;)

I'll wait for the DVD ;)
Ever wonder why dirt doesn't stay on cave women? [huh]

Quest for Fire is better, Clan of the Cave Bear running close second, but I doubt you'll find any cave women who looks like Daryl Hannah, that made me laugh lol

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
If you liked those two flicks, PLEASE checkout "Algiers" with Charles Boyer and the magnificent Hedy Lamarr. And checkout the French original, too, "Pepe le Moku".

Did anyone catch "Trader Horn" on TCM last night? It's about as politically incorrect as you can get, but it's phenomenal example of a very early talky (1931).
The producers spent six months in Africa getting the kind of footage we're very used to now, but was groundbreaking then. They kept some footage of a young boy actually being killed by a rhino. They filmed some extra footage in Mexico, where animal protection laws were not so strict, and they nearly killed half the cast with tropical diseases.
But they made one heck of a movie. Harry Carey gives a wonderful performance, and for you Cisco Kid fans, there is a VERY young Duncan Renaldo.

The Cisco Kid was wearing a pith helmet that he could use as a boat in an emergency.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I re-watched "The Magdalene Sisters" tonight. Its a powerful movie. Its based on real events and it has some absolutely heartbreaking moments in it.
The movie is a good one, though.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
KY Gentleman said:
I re-watched "The Magdalene Sisters" tonight. Its a powerful movie. Its based on real events and it has some absolutely heartbreaking moments in it.
The movie is a good one, though.

I bought the DVD a while back since I like it so much. You really wanted to give that head penguin a good whack, didn't you?

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
At the risk of speaking ill of Nuns (which I actually don't give a good cul du rat about... I'll tell you why my late Father got excommunicated sometime) not one of those bitches went to prison or was even reprimanded for their treatment of the girls. There again, Ireland is unlikely to exhume anyone to see if they were illegally killed... Stick on a wimple and you can literally get away with murder in some countries...

BegintheBeguine

Finally watched Nightmare Alley, which I've wanted to see for years. Somehow I had the idea it was twisted and sick, but it wasn't. I enjoyed it. I watched it again with the commentary which was okeh but didn't add much; one of the two film noir historians was so nasty-nice that it irritated me.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
Finally watched Nightmare Alley, which I've wanted to see for years. Somehow I had the idea it was twisted and sick, but it wasn't. I enjoyed it. I watched it again with the commentary which was okeh but didn't add much; one of the two film noir historians was so nasty-nice that it irritated me.

It was twisted enough for the Forties, believe me! As has often been pointed out, just casting leading man Tyrone Power in that role was quite transgressive.

BegintheBeguine

Yes, but I'd been led to believe I was going to be afraid! Powers' transformation at the end reminded me of to-day's glamorous actresses like Charlize Theron who take on down-and-out roles so they can show their acting range. It was daring, I'll say, and it worked!
Now I'm re-watching The Black Cat with Karloff and Bela Lugosi. I love that house!

zaika

One Too Many
count me in as loving Ingrid Bergman!!

the other night i watched "Woman of Faith" (1931) starring Barbara Stanwyck. i dvr'ed it because the summary said that it was a thily veiled account of amiee semple mcpherson's life. and since i was raised in the church she founded, i thought it would be interesting. i hadn't gotten around to actually watching it until recently. i think i'm a fan of stanwyck/capra films. the ones i've seen, i've loved.

last night i watched "Giant" (1956). elizabeth taylor is simply lovely...what i'd give for her figure in that flick. james dean and that ridiculous hat. lol loved it! "he's too rich to kill!" lol

tonight it's "Sunset Boulevard." never seen it...excited to!

Caroline

One of the Regulars
zaika said:
tonight it's "Sunset Boulevard." never seen it...excited to!

You'll love it! I took a course called "Literature and the History of the American West" we watched that film as a warm up to the California part of the course. My prof. loved the fact that it opened with the dead body of the main character (I don't think that counts as a spoiler since it's the opening of the film).

The last film I saw was "Murder My Sweet" for the umpteenth time, and tonight I'm bringing home a real strange one called "Underworld Beauty" by Seijun Suzuki. NEVER heard of it but the box looks great, and they use the words "stole" "stashed" and "pinched" all in the same sentence in the description. Sounds like my kind of movie.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
Oh, you're in for a treat! I love that movie. Keep in mind Swanson was only 51 as you listen to how they describe her.

When the film was made in 1950, the heyday of the silent era was only 25 years prior; that's 20 years closer in time than we are to the JFK assassination, for example. So it is amazing how quickly that era passed into legend.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Over the past couple of nights I watched Ju-on: The Grudge, not to be confused with two earlier Ju-on movies; one subsequent and another planned; and American remakes of this one and the sequel -- all linked, all directed by Takashi Shimizu. If you're not confused enough already, this film is narratively fractured and the scenes are completely out of chron order. It winds up being like a modernist take on Poltergeist. The house in this movie is not merely haunted, but seriously messed up, just like the house in Poltergeist. (Remember Zelda Rubinstein's spurious pronouncement: "This house is clean!" Ha!)

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
A double feature today (no sleep): 'The Good Shepherd' (2006) with Matt Damon (his role as non-expressionless/non-emotionless CIA director is brilliant.)

'The Winslow Boy' (1999) set in Edwardian England was captivating. Canadian actress Rebecca Pidgeon is a real cutie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred