Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Goldfish

A-List Customer
"Persepolis". what a masterpiece of art.

30mvo77.jpg

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Edward said:
The Warriors was especially interesting to reappraise thinking about issues of identity as expressed through clothing, this place very much in mind. lol Great film, worth checking out.

The Warriors is a fascinating film, well understood and perceptively reviewed by Pauline Kael when it came out (and was largely being excoriated as a piece of violence-provoking exploitation trash). It is based indirectly (by way of Sol Yurick's novel) on Xenophon's Anabasis, about an ancient Greek army trying to make its way home from Persia. Director Walter Hill not only drew out those classicist elements, but staged the film in a manner more stylized than most musicals. There is very little sociology to it, but much myth.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joie DeVive said:
I've been thinking of seeing that one. I've heard it's a real bloodbath though, and I'm a little squeamish.. What would you say?

There's really only one "violent" scene, a very realistic fight "2 on 1" in a bathhouse. Viggo is nekkid for the length of it, if that is a plus. [huh]

There are a couple killings that are bloody but that's more the technique chosen to kill than the scene itself. You can shut your eyes and not miss anything important.

All in all, a very good thinker movie.

Edward

Bartender
Patrick Murtha said:
The Warriors is a fascinating film, well understood and perceptively reviewed by Pauline Kael when it came out (and was largely being excoriated as a piece of violence-provoking exploitation trash). It is based indirectly (by way of Sol Yurick's novel) on Xenophon's Anabasis, about an ancient Greek army trying to make its way home from Persia. Director Walter Hill not only drew out those classicist elements, but staged the film in a manner more stylized than most musicals. There is very little sociology to it, but much myth.

Yes, the additional documentary features on the DVD are very clear on that. Actually, I didn't remember the comic-book sequences that are used periodically throughout it, and the opening sequence which explicitly states the basis in Ancient Greek history / legend. Were these added in for the Director's Cut? I saw it on television years ago, but it really was years ago, so I can't remember a whole lot about that original bit. I do intend to track down the original book, if I can find it - curious to see what relationship (if any) it bears to what we in the end saw on screen.

ETA: At some point, I think it might be intersting to watch it back to back with Fight Club - can't help wondering if there is some connection in the way the idea of masculinity is expored across the two.

I'm surprised noone has suggested a remake, though I hope it stays that way, as the inevitability is we'd end up with something more akin The Gangstas than The Warriors.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Watched 'Being John Malkovich' for the umpteenth time. I actually think that's the film I viewed the most times. And I see that director Spike Jonze has in production an adaption of Maurice Sendak's 'Where the Wild Things Are' and 'Ripley's Believe It Or Not'...(with Jim Carrey as Robert Ripley!).

Hondo

One Too Many
Quigley Brown said:
Watched 'Being John Malkovich' for the umpteenth time. I actually think that's the film I viewed the most times.

I also saw it Monday, first time from beginning to end, Catherine Keener
almost stole the movie, got a kick out of it, (whats the name of that Jewel thief movie he was in? lol ) Right after I saw Empire of the Sun :eusa_clap

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Edward said:
Yes, the additional documentary features on the DVD are very clear on that. Actually, I didn't remember the comic-book sequences that are used periodically throughout it, and the opening sequence which explicitly states the basis in Ancient Greek history / legend. Were these added in for the Director's Cut? I saw it on television years ago, but it really was years ago, so I can't remember a whole lot about that original bit.

Those were added for the director's cut, yes. I haven't seen them.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
carebear said:
There's really only one "violent" scene, a very realistic fight "2 on 1" in a bathhouse. Viggo is nekkid for the length of it, if that is a plus. [huh] There are a couple killings that are bloody but that's more the technique chosen to kill than the scene itself. You can shut your eyes and not miss anything important. All in all, a very good thinker movie.

Thanks Carebear! Considering I've seen Braveheart I don't know how many times, and have still never seen a throat slitting, I think I'm good to go. I'll be adding it to my Netflix list. :D

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
I have not watched it yet but while on vacation I brought a Hitchcock DVD collection (20 films all early) from Walmart for $5 I pay more for magazines in the UK, anyway it has the orginal "39 Steps" and I plan to watch it later today.

I prefer Kenneth More's 50's version but I do like this version too.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:
Watched 'Being John Malkovich' for the umpteenth time. I actually think that's the film I viewed the most times. And I see that director Spike Jonze has in production an adaption of Maurice Sendak's 'Where the Wild Things Are' and 'Ripley's Believe It Or Not'...(with Jim Carrey as Robert Ripley!).

I need to see Being John Malkovich again--I love that film. I saw Charlie Kaufman give a speech last year and it was one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Hondo

One Too Many
I just think hes down to earth type if you don't cause a fuss,
I enjoyed his films, hope to see more of him,
Definitely a cool story, Thanks!

imoldfashioned said:
I need to see Being John Malkovich again--I love that film. I saw Charlie Kaufman give a speech last year and it was one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

I also had a brush with Mr. Malkovich himself awhile back which I forgot to put into the celebrity thread. Mr. Malkovich has a house in Cambridge, MA. I was in a checkout line at a Whole Foods market in Cambridge and there was a woman in between Mr. Malkovich and me. This woman (who I didn't know) kept turning to me and squeeing in a perfectly audible stage whisper "Is that John Malkovich? I think that's John Malkovich! Do you think that's John Malkovich?!" I answered politely, while inwardly cringing a bit since I doubt this man is the type to want a fuss made. Mr. Malkovich paid his grocery bill and calmly turned and tapped the woman on the shoulder. When she faced him he held out his driver's license, smiled, took his bag and left the store. It was very cool.

=ritzy=

Familiar Face
Public Enemy with James Cagney and Gene Harlow:) ....watched it with my mother...she fell asleep half into the movie. The part where he shoves the grapefruit onto his girlfriends face is unforgetable! All in all wonderful movie!!!:)

russa11

One of the Regulars
Stephen King's The Mist. I thought it was a cool movie. Followed his story pretty well I thought except for the ending. The movie had a better ending I thought.

Hondo

One Too Many
Girls will be Girls

Any of you get Independent Film Channel? I was almost afraid to admit I watch it but it was really funny, guys dressed in drag, Girls will be Girls on IFC, I found this review below from Amazon on it,There were some hilarious scenes. Check it out lol
3 drag queens. I am not a huge fan of the female illusionist, but here it worked to broaden out the already broad comedy! Seriously picture a real woman after being asked if she's ever had an abortion saying "Honey! I've had more kids ripped out of me than a burning ORPHANAGE!" No, only a man in a frock could deliver that and make you giggle and laugh.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Finally saw I Am Legend. Now, I didnt read the book, and all my friends who have just say the movie is ick, and keep on going, but what struck me were the couple of things I couldnt get past:

Why did Legend think this was his burden? Didint the scientist at the beginning of the movie create the virus? Wasnt he there just to evacuate the city?

Also, Legend notes an 'unusual character trait' of the male coming into the sunlight after the female is captured, yet it never gets mentioned again. How could a big strong male like that not get to the blood in the trap first unless he was offering it to the female? The creatures are labeled as having no touch on their humanity, yet they show this hierarchy, and command structure and this alpha male (as listed in the credits) in essence relentlessly sends in troops to defeat Legend (and releases the dogs after him) all I would think to get his woman back and kill the man who took her. But they are just blank monsters?

All that goes without saying how rubbery and non-bone-having the creatures were, how artificial and almost non finished some of the backdrops looked, and just how empty and emotionless I felt the movie was.

It was cool seeing the Van Gogh Hanging in his house :)

*sigh*

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou