Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I actually plugged in 'Battle of Britain' last night and watched it from start to finish again. I was quite impressed (again!) actually. For a film that came out in 1969, the effects were really quite well done and the cinematography was spectacular. It must have been shot on 70mm (I'll check IMDB) because the imagery was crisp and clear, as if filmed today.

I tried not to be too critical about authenticity (jackets, hats, etc) as I tend to believe the public interest (that's you and I) was much less back in the '60's than it is today. A re-enactment population has grown since then with a plethora of 'stitch-counters' who demand absolute authenticity without exception. It certainly was great to see all those flying Heinkels, Spits and Hurricanes!

I also then watched 'Hanover Street' with Harrison Ford - that's a horse of a different stirpe (it was a Zebra!!). B-25's in the 8th USAAF! Ford's hair was way too long for the period! He looked rediculous in the German uniform. The London street scenes were great and quite evocotive but Ford was clearly just walking through his role while hoping for something bigger to come along. They should have replaced him with somebody who cared on day one of the shoot!

There, that's how I wasted my evening.

-dixon cannon

JazzBaby

Practically Family
My TV exploded about five months ago! :eek: To be honest I don't miss it that much. Except for The Simpsons :(

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I was just looking through the list of threads in "The Moving Picture" and realized that there are a lot of potentially interesting discussions, but I can't subscribe to that many threads (and am not even aware of most of them). So here's a plea to, whoever: if you can concentrate your movie comments in this thread, and your television comments in the parallel television thread, you might get more responses, and I at least will actually see what you're posting about!

I myself started a "Menswear in the Movies and Television" thread a while back, which petered out, so rather than revive it, I'll post those comments here now.

I ought to have mentioned above that Room at the Top is a great menswear movie. Laurence Harvey looks quite smart in his suits and French cuff shirts, and in the opening scene he lovingly contemplates one of his business shoes!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Patrick, I pay close attention to menswear in film, too. But I'm usually alone and keep my observations to myself. It would be interesting to screen classic films with others and have educated(?) discussions on the clothing.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Quigley Brown said:
Patrick, I pay close attention to menswear in film, too. But I'm usually alone and keep my observations to myself. It would be interesting to screen classic films with others and have educated(?) discussions on the clothing.

My expertise in film history is far greater than my expertise in menswear -- although I am an enthusiast of both!

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I heartily approve of marketing when I am the target audience. Take this:

Judi Dench
and
Cate Blanchett
in
Notes on a Scandal

What more I do need to know? I'm there! You had me at hello!

Seriously, these are two wonderful actresses at the top of their games, and the film (about which I should not give away too much) is wickedly fun. I'd been looking forward to seeing it since it came out, and I wasn't disappointed.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Patrick Murtha said:
I heartily approve of marketing when I am the target audience. Take this:

Judi Dench
and
Cate Blanchett
in
Notes on a Scandal

What more I do need to know? I'm there! You had me at hello!

Seriously, these are two wonderful actresses at the top of their games, and the film (about which I should not give away too much) is wickedly fun. I'd been looking forward to seeing it since it came out, and I wasn't disappointed.

For several months after a group of my friends and I saw this film our favorite phrase was "It'll fly by!"

Corto

A-List Customer
I just saw "Reds".
Wow.
Quite a production.
Did anyone see it in the theater? What did people think about it when it came out?

russa11

One of the Regulars
I just watched "No Country for Old Men" I was not really impressed with this film. It moved really slow. Not what you would call a pick me up film.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
For no apparent reason- this week

Several of the "Inspector Lynley" series from the BBC.

Most of two seasons of "Foyles War" - Both of those are wonderful detective series with FW having great period costumes including FEDORAS!!

Movies- "Death at a funeral"- hilarious- watch at least twice!
"Jane Austen book club" - very good!
"Once" - fabulous- that the acting is this good is amazing (given they are musicians playing musicians)
"American Gangster"- I like Denzel! I think he's one of the finest actors around (If we could just get him and Chris Cooper to work together- maybe they have but it slips my mind)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Corto said:
I just saw "Reds".
Wow.
Quite a production.
Did anyone see it in the theater? What did people think about it when it came out?

One of my favorite movies. I saw it in the theater when it was first released (I was 13) and many times since. It's amazing how much Diane Keaton resembles Louise Bryant.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I saw it when it was first released and was in my late 20s. As a former history major and lifelong movie buff, I thought it was really impressive, and I loved Nicholson as Eugene O'Neill.

I haven't seen it agin since then - I guess it's time!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I'm watching the John Carpenter version of "The Thing". I've seen it a bunch of times and the commentary by Carpenter and Russell is really good. Most of the time they're not discussing the movie but talking about what they've been doing lately in their real lives! I liked Kurt Russells sombrero, too.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
KY Gentleman said:
I'm watching the John Carpenter version of "The Thing". I've seen it a bunch of times and the commentary by Carpenter and Russell is really good. Most of the time they're not discussing the movie but talking about what they've been doing lately in their real lives! I liked Kurt Russells sombrero, too.

I need to watch this again, but I will admit I find it hard to watch -- even now, 25 years on, the special effects in this movie are among the most ghastly ever.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
And speaking of ghastly --

Last night I watched the legendary French horror movie Eyes Without a Face, which lives up to its amazing reputation. I don't want to put in spoilers for those of you who haven't seen it, so I'll speak very generally. Stephen King in his excellent book on the horror genre, Danse Macabre (you should read this!), theorizes the "gross-out" as a key component of modern horror. I think he's spot on about that, although I will admit that in the era of Takashi Miike and Eli Roth, the gross-outs have gotten harder and harder for me to stomach -- and maybe, just maybe, less stategically employed: wall-to-wall gross-out runs the risk of becoming ho-hum ("Look, there's another intestine!"). Georges Franju, the director of Eyes Without a Face, clearly knew how to stage gross-outs for maximum effect, and all within the context of poetic art-house horror, which makes those moments all the more startling. John Waters, another accomplished theorist of these matters, stipulates that the line between art and exploitation is an exceedingly fine one; this is one movie that rides that line with unerring precision. And, unlike many horror films that deflate in the third act, it has a great and surprising ending.

funneman

Practically Family
The Divorcee 1930

This was an interesting film. Pre-Code days. Lot's of innuendo.
Some great looking clothes, hats and cars.
Norma Shearer was one great looking lady. Hubba Hubba.
Chester Morris played the husband.
Didn't he later play Boston Blackie?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred