Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
How did you like it? Are you seeing Helvetica all over the place now?

Typing in it right now.

I always did see it (taking a type facing class in college made me see the light ;) ) but the variations of Helvetica are astounding. That shot outside the doors of that Crate&Barrel just flored me! lol

I do think the film lost its way near the late middle about the designers and stuff, and I wish they had disected the actual mathmatical aspects of the typeface more, so we could visually understand why it is so appealing, but it was fun to find out the name of it and its history. And to see all that modern graphic (50s and on) design.

It was interesting how the type face became about not the letters, but the clear non patrician way they communicated, what they were formed to say. Very safe and such with corporate america. THEN in later years (like now) the type face is becoming about a clearness in reading, in communication of the type iteself, not as just a relay to its message. Very strange, but I do see what in the new modern design.

I did dig it.

LD

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
zaika said:
i liked it very much. :)
i've been discovering that i truly like early hitchcock films.

Shadow of a Doubt was one of Hitchcock's own favorites, and rightly so; it is a superb film. One of his four films set in Northern Califormia (the others being Vertigo, The Birds, and Family Plot).

CassD

One of the Regulars
I just watched a silly, yet entertaining movie called The Affairs of Cappy Ricks. It's not a fantastic movie, but it did make me laugh. I've been watching a lot of older, public domain movies on the Internet Archive because it's free and we don't have TV. :)

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
10,000 BC

Well nothing unusually cool. Last week, my wife and I took the day off and put our son in daycare. We went out and saw 10,000 BC. Well, there costumes were not very styling, but the Woolly Mammoths were incredible. :)

Spiffy

A-List Customer
TessTrueheart said:
Oh my god, I LOVED The Lives of Others!

lol , Well, now I feel just awful....it just went back in the netflix envelope! Watched No Country For Old Men at a friend's apartment and loved it....it made me a little sad and nostalgic for the Cohen brother's early stuff....to this day Raising Arizona is the only Nic Cage movie I will watch voluntarily.

I also dug how there was literally no score.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I watched an enthralling one this morning (at 3 a.m. :eusa_doh: ): 'Frances' (1982). Jessical Lange gave an incredible performance as controversial 1930s film star Frances Farmer. You'll sort of hate that era's press after watching this one.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Quigley Brown said:
I watched an enthralling one this morning (at 3 a.m. :eusa_doh: ): 'Frances' (1982). Jessical Lange gave an incredible performance as controversial 1930s film star Frances Farmer. You'll sort of hate that era's press after watching this one.

Like we don't hate this era's press? :)

Jovan

Suspended
A.R. McVintage said:
And Ewan's bachelor pad was an atomic age dream.
Indeed. But I couldn't help but have a sartorialgasm over the variety of white and pale blue/pink/yellow shirts in his closet. There were about four of each IIRC... does that mean it included combinations of button down collars and double cuffs like Cary Grant? :D We'll never know.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I bought a great 3 disc edition of "The Maltese Falcon" today at Barnes & Noble. I didn't realize the film was made and re-made three times! The last was the Huston version with Bogart. All three versions are on this collection. TONS of extras. I've never seen this film (I know, I know...) but I'm enjoying it tonight.

A.R. McVintage

Far From Heaven. Having recently seen most of Sirk's 50s melodramas, it was interesting to watch this take-off on those again.

And Julianne Moore, while not my particular cup of tea, was very striking in those wonderful dresses.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Bugsy said:
I just watched "Woman in the Window" with Edward G. Robinson and Joan Bennett directed by Fritz Lang. Quite an unusal film and I had never heard of it before.

Thats a great one and quite a different role from the usual gangster films we usually see with Robinson.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
A.R. McVintage said:
And Ewan's bachelor pad was an atomic age dream.

I wouldn't mind leaving my apartment behind to live on the set. Sure, none of the plumbing would work, but I would have glorious (false) views of New York, and couches that turn into beds, and winding staircases and recessed floors.

Mmm.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
I watched "Double Indemnity" yet again the other night. No matter how many times I watch it, I see more than I did the last time. A lot like a great novel, as you read it multiple times over the course of your life, it speaks to you in so many more ways.

Next up is a Roman Polanski vampire comedy [huh] called "Dance of the Vampires - or - Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck." I really don't know what to expect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy