Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"The Departed" for who knows how many times...HBO has run it almost every night for weeks it seems. Still, I watch parts of it or finish it from wherever I find it. It is a good movie.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Watched the Maltese Falcon (Bogart version) night before last. I'd ordered the DCD's from Amazon that includes the two earlier makes of the Dashiell Hammett story, which I've read many times before seeing the flick. Always breathtaking for me to see the old-style Hollywood lighting of the era, which combined with black-and-white film and creative perspectives is stunning and entirely different from more recent films. Mary Astor is trite IMO, but the rest of the cast is outstanding and Bogart really brings depth and repressed passion to the role.

I regret the filmakers leaving out some of my favorite bits, e.g. that little, seemingly unconnected (but very Zen or Taoist) story that Sam Spade tells about the guy who disappeared, ran away from home and family, and ended up re-creating essentially the same life with another wife and children under another identity. Hammett was really trying to make a worthwhile novel out of detective fiction, and while the last version was by far the best, nobody ever quite captured his idea.

- Bill

Mojito

One Too Many
I'm tragic - I finally bought Sunset Boulevard when I found it reduced to less than $10.00.

Sigh. I want to move in with Norma Desmond.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
I just saw "Bay of Angels" and I was quite underwhelmed. I don't even think this qualifies as French New Wave. I dunno. I guess I've viewed the "compulsive gambler" story too many times already, and I hate the way this makes me sound, but Jeanne Moreau was looking pretty worn. Maybe that was the point. Not a lot of chemistry. Or maybe the piano featured in the film was very grating to me...oh well.[huh]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Our feature this week is "The Band's Visit," a really sweet, gentle comedy by Israeli director Eran Kolirin. A ceremonial military band from Egypt is marooned in a middle-of-nowhere town in Israel, and much culture-clash ensues. Very pleasant, unpretentious film that gets its point across without bludgeoning the viewer.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Finally watched Cloverfield and Hot Fuzz.

Cloverfield was a better film than I expected. The characters still made some obvious survival mistakes, but that was, I guess, true to their characters.

Still annoyed by monsters that rely on not obeying any laws of physics for their scariness. Sloppy monster creation.

Hot Fuzz started slow, there was a definite British vibe to it, but good funny movie end to end. Loved the solution to the "mystery".

Sunland Sare

New in Town
I love Hot Fuzz! I think Simon Pegg is fab, although I didn't think Run, Fat Boy, Run was as good as his previous efforts.

Last film I saw was Perfume; The Story of a Murderer. Really strange film, but totally captivating. Its not very well known, but it stars Dustin Hoffman, Alan Rickman and John Hurt among others.

Its based on the book by Patrick Süskind, set in 18th Century France, about this genius/sociopath and his quest for the perfect scent.

I highly recommend it

kysaddletramp

New in Town
Orig. Jesse James with Fonda and Power. Colorized and sharp. Interesting story line and vintage style. James was (is) a hero for his personal war against the railroad before he became a common criminal and bank robber.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Loved it. Loved everything about it. It was NOT the movie I expected it to be; much more quiet and introspective. Highly recommended...
ED.- If it wasn't clear before, it is now 100% apparent where the acting ability in the Affleck family went to.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Lulu-in-Ny said:
ED.- If it wasn't clear before, it is now 100% apparent where the acting ability in the Affleck family went to.

Ben has had his OK moments as an actor (Changing Lanes, Hollywoodland), but Casey certainly got a move on in impressive fashion last year. I haven't seen ...Robert Ford yet, but I can easily believe what I'm hearing about Affleck in this film from seeing his fine work in Gone Baby Gone (directed by his brother). That film is about twenty times better than it would have been because it has Casey in the lead and not some conventional leading man (say, Ben!).

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Wow! 'The Bounty' (1984) again! What a cast: Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins, Daniel Day-Lewis.... I must have seen it a dozen times and never get tired of watching it. :eusa_clap

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
From Here to Eternity and then Duets.

The former wasn't quite what I was expecting, but was quite good none the less, and the later was better than I expected. Ah, redemption.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Swartboek

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/

Swartboek7a.jpg

Swartboek3a.jpg

In the Nazi-occupied Netherlands during World War II, a Jewish singer infiltrates the
regional Gestapo headquarters for the Dutch resistance.

Swartboek2a.jpg

Swartboek4a.jpg

-dixon cannon

Spiffy

A-List Customer
omshantiomsharukhkhandeepikafarahkh.jpg

Om Shanti Om, it's a love letter to Bollywood cinema. Imagine if Singing in the Rain was set in Bombay, with backstabbing, and a ghost story/revenge plot, and reincarnation thrown in, sprinkled with in-jokes and spoofs of the past 50 years of Hindi cinema. It's just...awesome.

1.jpg

And Shah Rukh Khan sings about the pain of disco and dances around in a little fireman's outfit, gets water thrown on him, etc. Seriously, if you are bored at work, you NEED to check it out on youtube.

end rant.:)

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Patrick Murtha said:
Ben has had his OK moments as an actor (Changing Lanes, Hollywoodland), but Casey certainly got a move on in impressive fashion last year. I haven't seen ...Robert Ford yet, but I can easily believe what I'm hearing about Affleck in this film from seeing his fine work in Gone Baby Gone (directed by his brother). That film is about twenty times better than it would have been because it has Casey in the lead and not some conventional leading man (say, Ben!).
True- I'll cede you Hollywoodland- I just have something against Ben, Gone Baby Gone is in my Netflix queue; I have high hopes for Ben as a director. Definitely see Assassination..., though. It's one of those movies that I want everyone to see...

A.R. McVintage

Last movie: the inimitable Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak starring in the romantic comedy Bell, Book and Candle. Before that was Shirley MacLaine, Dean Martin, Dick Van Dyke, Paul Newman, Robert Mitchum, Gene Kelly and Bob Cummings in What a Way to Go! Before that was the lush South Pacific.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff