Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Macheath

One of the Regulars
just_me said:
I'm not sure I understand your comment.

BTW, I liked the original version of Ocean's Eleven.

I suppose what it comes down to, is that Lawford's character in Dorian Gray was supposed to be an English gentleman (in the late 19th century sense), and while his peers were appropriately dandyish, his demeanor seemed a bit provincial. He just didn't have the requisite haughtiness, and even seemed uncomfortable playing the part.

As you've probably guessed, I wasn't too pleased by the original Oceans Eleven. It was tedious and unbearably long, and the circumstances within the plot were completely unfathomable. It was neither campy enough, nor sufficiently novel to be a worthwhile caper.

I appreciate The Rat Pack and their shtick, but this movie just didn't quite measure up for me.

(edited for grammar)

just_me

Practically Family
Macheath said:
I suppose what it comes down to, is that Lawford's character in Dorian Gray was supposed to be an English gentleman (in the late 19th century sense), and while his peers were appropriately dandyish, his demeanor seemed a bit provincial. He just didn't have the requisite haughtiness, and even seemed uncomfortable playing the part.

As you've probably guessed, I wasn't too pleased by the original Oceans Eleven. It was tedious and unbearably long, and the circumstances within the plot were completely unfathomable. It was neither campy enough, nor sufficiently novel to be a worthwhile caper.

I appreciate The Rat Pack and their shtick, but this movie just didn't quite measure up for me.

(edited for grammar)

Thanks for the clarification.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Pineapple Express". It had some funny parts, pretty typical drug themed movie aimed at teens. Kind of a cross between "After Hours" and "Up In Smoke".

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not sure if it counts as a "movie", but I just watched "Long Way Round".

Ewan MacGregor and Charlie Berman ride "the loang way round" the world, crossing Europe, Asia and North America.

Interesting stuff, especially the parts in rural Russia, Kazahkstan and Mongolia.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Flash of Genius

Inventor Bob Kerns takes on the Ford Motor Company for infringement on the intermittent windshield wiper that he patented/created.

This was a great little film. Quiet in the impact it makes on an individual taking on such a mammoth company. Really enjoyed it.

LD

Odalisque

A-List Customer
carebear said:
Not sure if it counts as a "movie", but I just watched "Long Way Round".

Ewan MacGregor and Charlie Berman ride "the loang way round" the world, crossing Europe, Asia and North America.

Interesting stuff, especially the parts in rural Russia, Kazahkstan and Mongolia.

My boyfriend had me watch this series and I loved it. The two have such a good chemistry. I also watched Long Way Down, which I liked less but still was good.

swanky_frankie

New in Town
Poirot: Cards on the Table

When an evening of bridge turns into a murder investigation, famed Belgian inspector Hercule Poirot (David Suchet) discovers he isn't the only sleuth present at the party. The host (Alexander Siddig) has also invited the superintendent of Scotland Yard (David Westhead), a representative from the Foreign Office (Robert Pugh) and a noted mystery writer (Zoe Wanamaker), a group whose talents are put to the test in solving the baffling case.

My wife and I love the Poirot series and movies :D

Feraud

Bartender
Watched The Captain's Paradise with Alec Guinness. The story of a ship's captain who has true love in two ports of call. His women are perfectly played by Celia Johnson (the "proper" wife) in Gibraltar and Yvonne DeCarlo (the girlfriend) in Morocco. The movie opens with Capt. Henry St. James' execution but does not set the tone of the film. This movie is funny, charming, hilariously topical, and moves along at a brisk pace. I had a good laugh when Alec explains to Yvonne DeCarlo why a woman should not cook.
This film is worth seeking out. Available through Netflix.

The Core

A pretty good Sci-fi movie where the molten metal core of the earth has stopped spinning and the protective electromagnetic field that surrounds the earth in outer space is beginning to fail. Extinction to follow unless a hearty crew of scientists and astronauts are able to pilot an extraordinary earth burrowing vehicle to plant atomic bombs that can restart the spin.

Suspend disbelief right after the opening credits, reminds me of a certain killer asteroid film, and the original "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" movie.

The surround sound is pretty good with some great booms and some really cool rumbling. It was good for a rainy night.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, last night, on TCM. It was refreshing to see a film portray the less fortunate lifestyle of the era. I think I will attempt to read this book by Betty Smith. John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda