Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Last night, I watched GIRLS OF THE ROAD (1940), which was not unlike (but fell pretty far short of) William Wellman's WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD (1933).

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
MV5BMjMyODUxMTkzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDQxNDcyMQ@@._V1._SX322_SY400_.jpg

I watched "The Petrified Forest" last night, a film I've never seen before. I was anticipating a good show too, being that it was supposedly a gangster flick, one of my favorite genres. I love Bogey, but in my opinion his performance as a crazed killer bank robber and the way he sort of dragged himself along in the film was mediocre at best. Bette Davis, wow, what a beaut!, but the best performance by far was Leslie Howard as "Alan Squire". His accent, wit, charm, and want to sacrifice his own life so "Gabrielle"(Bette Davis) could follow her dream...now that was special. I don't wanna sound like a sap, but Howard was the glue that held this film together. Without him, "The Petrified Forest" would have remained just that...petrified, unmoving and dry. To be honest, I really don't think it belongs in my "Gangster Films" collection, but Warner Brothers labeled it so. Lol, oh well.

Here's a LINK to the movie trailer.

T-Men

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039881/

1947's T-Men directed by Anthony Mann where IMDB lists: United States Treasury agents O'Brien and Genaro infiltrate a counterfeiting ring which has some dangerously good paper. This is supposedly based on several actual Treasury cases.

This film is cited in a 3 episode BBC film history program that was done by Martin Scorsese. Fun stuff in a Noir fashion.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet -said by her as Marianne to her sister (played by Emma T) about her then love Willoughby. Also starring Hugh Grant and Alan Rickman.

Lear said:
My favorite movie. I just watched it again on DVD. A line from it...

"It was everyday implied but never declared".

Guess the movie :p

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Big Heat (1953). Directed by Fritz Lang. Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame, Jocelyn Brando. Tough independently minded copper goes after organized crime and corruption, and the man who killed his beloved wife. Excellent film.

Maguire

Practically Family
Brazil, the Terry Gilliam film. Great movie, very clever satire on society.. gotta love the retro futurist look.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Grace (2009)

Picture2.png

Zombie baby.

You would think that would be an interesting movie, right? No. Not really. A lot of loop holes (where did all the flys come from!?). The director spent all his time trying to make the film look arty and dynamic with its rather interesting camera angles and poorly chosen background violence, that he seemed to forget story, and well, content.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy