Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
NO! Youre kidding!!!
Geeze, they will remake anything to get rid of subtitles, wont they? :eusa_doh:

LD

Alas, I am not kidding. I expect the remake to be Americanized, dumbed-down, heavier on the action and weaker on the characterization. Details here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_Me_In_(film)

I recently came to the realization that I have to stop railing against pointless remakes. In today's ravenous popcult media world, everything is going to be remade repeatedly, with a steady weakening of what made the originals special in each case. Star Trek without the science or social commentary. Sherlock Holmes as a bare-chested action hero. V as a anti-terrorist rather than anti-Nazi tract. The Prisoner as whatever the heck it was supposed to be...

The sad thing about it is: those of us who a bit older recall a world where not every single TV show, comic book, film, novel, Disneyland ride, and crappy kiddie cartoon created mainly to sell toys is resurrected zombie-like for profit. Younger folks will accept pointless remakes done just for the money as the natural order of things. But geez, it's sad.

Christy

One of the Regulars
crismans said:
You're very welcome to visit us anytime!

Of course, I shouldn't have generalized the way I did. Unfortunately, I've come across some stereotyping (all put forth as joking, of course) when people first learn when I'm from. It seems that much of Appalachia is viewed under the "Deliverance" umbrella by some.

I'll take that chip off my shoulder now! lol

I completely understand. We're stereotyped as rednecks in the town that I live in. Some people take it as a compliment, but I don't. lol

Scott Wood

Practically Family
The Outlaw, 1943

Old western about Billy the kid, Doc Holliday, Pat Garret etc.
Starring Jane Russel and Jack Buetel
They've managed to make it a romance only I'm not sure if Billy is in love with Rio(Jane Russel) or Red(the pony)!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I just picked up the DVD of "The Golem", a silent flick from 1920. It was recommended to me by a friend but I had never heard of it before. I'm looking forward to watching it tonight. Anyone here familiar with this one?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
KY Gentleman said:
I just picked up the DVD of "The Golem", a silent flick from 1920. It was recommended to me by a friend but I had never heard of it before. I'm looking forward to watching it tonight. Anyone here familiar with this one?

Of course, it's a classic. A textbook example of a German Expressionist horror film. A big influence on the 1931 Frankenstein. It's of special interest to readers of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. And it's actually a sequel, not the first Golem movie - one was made back in 1914 by the same actor/director

My kids thought it was hilarious, especially useless hero Prince Florian and the oft-repeated phrase "High Rabbi Loew".

Anyway, it is definitely worth watching...

Christy

One of the Regulars
The Blind Side

My fella and I went to see The Blind Side today. We both thought it was fantastic! Of course, I'm a sucker for true sports movies that show the underdog overcoming the odds. The only down side today was the hoard of Twilight fans that held up the line for tickets.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I watched again"Last Year at Marienbad" 1961 directed by Alais Resnais, thinking i would like it better this time around. But i didn't.

French New Wave along with films from the 20s and 30s are very close to my heart. Sadly, this is the only French New Wave movie I find totally incomprehensibe and I do not recommend it.

filfoster

One Too Many
Golem

KY Gentleman said:
Yes. It transcends the time period and is still scarier than Hell. I vote it into the top 10 all time.
And I'm a lapsed Presbyterian!

filfoster

One Too Many
Come on over!

Christy said:
Crismans was saying that Kentucky was always portrayed that way and I was just saying that I have never thought of Kentucky in that way. In fact, it's one of the places I'd like to visit.
Beautiful state. I'm not a native ( I have lived here for 34 years and love it) but my two daughters are. What a sad, beautiful state: fantastic scenery and people, bourbon, horses, state parks, food and history. What a sad economy. And Eastern Ky: you must know someone there to come back alive.
I am a member of the Kentucky Bar and have sworn never to fight a duel although some posts have tempted me.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The thing is, remakes use to spark that thing in you that would interest you to go and find the original. But people dont do that anymore. Ive spoken to people who didnt even know V was a miniseries in the 80s. And they were my age!
I completely get what you are saying, Doctor, but I cant accept people taking well established original stories and turning them into fast food to filter to a larger audience. I dont think I ever will.

Long live the revolution!! :D

LD

Doctor Strange said:
I recently came to the realization that I have to stop railing against pointless remakes. In today's ravenous popcult media world, everything is going to be remade repeatedly, with a steady weakening of what made the originals special in each case. Star Trek without the science or social commentary. Sherlock Holmes as a bare-chested action hero. V as a anti-terrorist rather than anti-Nazi tract. The Prisoner as whatever the heck it was supposed to be...

The sad thing about it is: those of us who a bit older recall a world where not every single TV show, comic book, film, novel, Disneyland ride, and crappy kiddie cartoon created mainly to sell toys is resurrected zombie-like for profit. Younger folks will accept pointless remakes done just for the money as the natural order of things. But geez, it's sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner