Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

High Pockets

Practically Family
Norumbega said:
Today before heading over to my sister's for Thanksgiving (and Happy Thanksgiving to all btw), I sat down and watched a really cool film that I would recommend to anyone.
It's entitled, "The Worlds Fastest Indian" (2005), with Anthony Hopkins in the title role. I loved it..........and you would too. Coolest part is that it's a true story.

One of my favorite "feel good" movies!

I had no idea what it was about when it started, but as soon as it was over I spent the rest of the night researching the true story and was not disappointed!:D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just finished a preview screening of "A Serious Man." *Brilliant* thought-provoking film for anyone who's ever wondered just what's going on. The eye for mid-sixties period detail is absolutely impeccable, too -- this really *is* the way mainstream America looked in 1967.

The ending in our print was literally tacked on -- a masking-tape splice broke as it was going thru the gate. An omen?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Life Begins for Andy Hardy (1941). Andy graduates from high school; Dad wants him to go to college and get a law degree. Andy wants to see what kind of a job he'd really like by going to NYC and checking it out.

Sister Marian is nowhere to be seen, although present in the standard family portrait shot that opens each film. Aunt Milly is on-screen for about minute and a half, and gets approximately eleven syllables.

Judy Garland is luminous, and gets as much screen time as Mickey. She acts the breathless adolescent well, and lights up the screen each time she's on.

I fast forwarded through some of the painful Andy's-an-awkward-kid parts. It's a solid offering in the series. SPOILER ALERT At the end, when Andy puts his car into reverse by mistake and backs into a stack of crates, the crates move a split second before the car hits them. Evidently the idea was to simulate a crash without damaging the car.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Just finished a preview screening of "A Serious Man." *Brilliant* thought-provoking film for anyone who's ever wondered just what's going on. The eye for mid-sixties period detail is absolutely impeccable, too -- this really *is* the way mainstream America looked in 1967.

The ending in our print was literally tacked on -- a masking-tape splice broke as it was going thru the gate. An omen?
I hate those movies that have a great "build-up", suck you in and get your attention and thenjust fall apart at the end lol :p

Raiders of the Lost Ark on the plasma. I was in the mood for fun and adventure. One of my favorite scenes in any movie is the opening of the Well of Souls at night during the thunderstorm. That always brings out my childhood fantasy of finding buried treasure.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
In the process of re-watching Cornered (1945) with Dick Powell, and directed by Edward Dmytryk. Interesting in that the lead (Powell) is a recently discharged Canadian flight Lt. When I first watched it, that detail, along with the the fact that most of the first 20 minutes takes place in France, caused me think that the film wouldn't be of interest to me. But when the locale switched to post-war Buenos Aires, with loads of sumptuous suits and dresses, clandestine fascists, and all the intrigue wrapped up in it, I was hooked. Food film, although the plot gets stuck a couple of times, and Powell is a bit too sour most of the time.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
2012. I spent almost the entire film with my back pressed hard against the back of the movie theater seat! I was told that going to the movie was to be a "surprise" by our friend that was taking our son, so I decided to tag along not knowing until we were in the theater what it was.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Thanks A Million" (1935), yet another first-rate forgotten Fox musical -- with Dick Powell as a band singer who ends up running for governor of a small Midwestern state, Ann Dvorak as his no-nonsense girlfriend, and radio legend Fred Allen as the band manager/huckster who takes charge of the campaign. A real gem of a film -- if Preston Sturges had ever made a musical, it would have come out a lot like this one. Added highlights include a satirical political anthem by the Yacht Club Boys, guest appearances by Rubinoff and his Violin and Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra, and a snappy song-and-dance routine pairing Dvorak with Patsy Kelly. Let's see Bette Davis top that.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"The Good Die Young" (1954) was on the telly last night. Great flick with a very young Joan Collins.

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Let me tell you, there are some sharp dressers in the animal kingdom!

fantastic-mr-fox-3.jpg

I went to a matinee yesterday and really got a kick out of this animated gem. Some rather dry humour, aforementioned sharp dressing, a rather unexpected necktie and even some fountain pens all make for perfect accessories to the story and very cool animation style.

It came across as unique, yet reminiscent of those holiday standbys (you know, Rudolph, Frosty) we all love here in the states mixed with Wallace and Grommet meets Wind in the Willows but with "cussing"! Hah! (Totally "G" rated cussing - no worries). In fact, I am still suppressing giggles over that.

Call me easily amused, but I enjoyed myself, and I think you will too. :)

That was fantastic, Mr. Fox!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hamilton_Honey said:

Sharp brown corduroy (?) DB front and center. Charcoal pinstripe on right is looking good too. On left, the SB notched vest under the gray suit-jacket is looking good but you know what I want to ask --

HOW HIGH ARE THE ARM-HOLES?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Raiders of the Lost Ark on the plasma. I was in the mood for fun and adventure. One of my favorite scenes in any movie is the opening of the Well of Souls at night during the thunderstorm. That always brings out my childhood fantasy of finding buried treasure.

IJ&TROTLA on blu-ray. When will we see the day?

Doran said:
Sharp brown corduroy (?) DB front and center. Charcoal pinstripe on right is looking good too. On left, the SB notched vest under the gray suit-jacket is looking good but you know what I want to ask --

HOW HIGH ARE THE ARM-HOLES?

They were looking pretty high to me - though I'd have to watch it again for a more in-depth analysis. Perhaps this gives me an excuse....

Professor

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:

Saw it in Pasadena on Saturday, loved it! :eusa_clap Typical Coen Brothers though, can't make sense of half the damned thing! lol Depressing and hilarious at once.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ZzaPY7mkNZ0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ZzaPY7mkNZ0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Forgotten Man

One Too Many

Took in a flick after Thanksgiving dinner with the girl’s folks in Tucson, she used to work at a theater there and is good friends with the manager, her folks watched “Men who Watch Goats” and Miss ‘40s wanted to watch “2012”… Since it was free I thought why not. Well, the picture is like most disaster movies, it will draw you in for merely the simple morbid curiosity most people have.

As California was quaking and shaking and rolling around like the Pacific Ocean (which then soon joined the Pacific) and watching subway trains fly out of tunnels and how everything seemed to come crashing toward the two engine Cessna the principles were fleeing away in, it seemed very “over the top” and predictable. I hate to say it, but I started to laugh at the sheer idiocy that was being displayed on the screen. I didn’t get to finish the film, we had another place to be and that movie is long. Maybe when it reaches DVD we’ll finish it but, I’m not holding my breath.

Last night popped in The Glenn Miller Story, now that’s an enjoyable film. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters