Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Big Baby Macoy

New in Town
ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES

]What's interesting about "Angels With Dirty Faces" is it does not so much concern itself with the how someone would turn to a life of crime but the why. James Cagney's Rocky Sullivan is a tragic figure of sorts because his lot in life was determined by an indiscretion as a youth which snowballed into stretches in the correction system and various organized crime ventures. On the flip side of the coin, his best friend Jerry Connolly(Pat O'Brien) became a priest. The film also draws an extraordinary canvass of the working class milieu to illustrate the squalor that would encourage someone to turn to crime. The Dead End Kids are used to great effect here to demonstrate the underbelly of the lower-class existence that most people would not want to acknowledge. Humphrey Bogart is effective also here as Sullivan's double-crossing lawyer. This is Cagney's show ultimately, because, in a multi-hued performance he is able to allow the audience to empathize with him and mourn for him even though we disagree with his choices in life.

Edward

Bartender
Last night I watched two films. On DVD, Shoot 'Em Up. Not to everyone's taste, I'm sure (it helps to have a dark sense of humour and to be a fan of Tarrantino (it was in a similiar vein to True Romance), or at least Sin City). nonethless, a very entertaining film with a very irreverant and cynical take on both sides of the gun control debate, and some down to earth fun, old-school action. Everything Bond should have been, had ever he acquired the cohones.

The second film, which I chanced across only as it was on television as I switched off the DVD player, was Pearl Harbour. I feel compelled to report that it is not, in fact as bad as all the reviews made it out to be at the time. In many ways it is much, much worse. I'd call it a B movie in that it had an A-list cast/effects/costume but the script was most assuredly B list. Truly, it played like something stright from the pen of the very least gifted of wartime propaganda authors in Soviet Russia..... truly abysmyl. The Eastman A2s were lovely, though!

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
Scott Wood said:
Just realized that christmas is now fast approaching so I am perfectly within the season to pop in "The Bishop's Wife", "It's a Wonderful Life" and "White Christmas" DVDs :D Ho Ho Ho!

Woody

Don't forget Christmas in Connecticut and Miracle on 34th Street! :)

Big Baby Macoy

New in Town
Perfect way to spend a rainy, grey, chilly fall day

th_MV5BMjEzNTQyMjAxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTc.jpg

Not only did I get the pleasure of watching "Angels with Dirty Faces" this morning but now...Miller's Crossing is on. Some times life is just good!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Primal Fear - decided to watch it even though someone revealed the denouement to me years ago! Sadly it wasn't up to much - the plot was pretty ridiculous and none of the characters likeable.

storman113

Familiar Face
Christmas Vacation

Not a vintage flick. I've seen it many many times. Was at my sisters when it came on, she had never seen it before.

She asked me to stop it many times cause her side was hurting from laughing so much!

The lighting of the exterior illumination is classic! My favorite is the cat in the box!

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Not vintage either...

Guarding Tess, 1994.
I watched it on Encore Avenue because I like Nicholas Cage and Shirley MacLaine. Was not disappointed, movie was engaging and gave you laughs and warm fuzzies both lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Miss_Becky

Familiar Face
Blade Runner ( I fell asleep 1/2 through, so I have to finish it up). I'm really loving Rachel's look. The movie does have a 40's noir feel to it.

Last week I watched the Buddy Holly Story with Gary Busey...I don't like Mr.Busey himself, but he did a pretty good job. He sang and played guitar for this movie too! I also watched 'Nothing Sacred' (Carold Lombard, Fredric March) and 'Woman in the Moon' (1929, German, Silent).

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Miss_Becky said:
Blade Runner ( I fell asleep 1/2 through, so I have to finish it up). I'm really loving Rachel's look. The movie does have a 40's noir feel to it.

Last week I watched the Buddy Holly Story with Gary Busey...I don't like Mr.Busey himself, but he did a pretty good job. He sang and played guitar for this movie too! I also watched 'Nothing Sacred' (Carold Lombard, Fredric March) and 'Woman in the Moon' (1929, German, Silent).

I really like both of these movies! Be sure you finish "Blade Runner", you won't be disappointed!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
chanteuseCarey said:
first was Danny Kaye in "The Inspector General", followed by "My Favorite Brunette" with Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour. I loved all of Dorothy's ensembles in this film!!

Personally...I most enjoyed the executioner at the end of the film.... ;)

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Another gotta watch...

"Secondhand Lions"
Michael Caine and Robert Duvall in a movie I watch everytime I have the opportunity. Sort of part way between The Princess Bride and Johnny Dangerously for a feel good farce. I will ever get a warm fuzzy chuckle from itlol
Woody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot