Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

bunny chan

Familiar Face
1956 Invasion of the body snatchers. Thay made it on tv late night.
I couldn't sleep till the end! Great!

And Dana Wynter was so beautyful (so was her outfits!).

B.

bunny chan said:
1956 Invasion of the body snatchers. Thay made it on tv late night. I couldn't sleep till the end! Great! And Dana Wynter was so beautyful (so was her outfits!). B.

Some of the scenes were filmed in Sierra Madre Southern California not far from me. The Scene at the dentisits office looking down at the triangle where the pod people are doing the distribution of pods is right in Sierra Madre. There is a great Pub right there called Lucky Baldwins, their 2nd location. I always get a thrill thinking of that scene when there.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]As I mentioned here

I avoided the film 1984 like the plague, afraid it would be horrid. When I finally did see it, I was blown away; it's about the only time I've ever seen a filmed version of a beloved prose work in which the visual presentation was BETTER than I had imagined.

Just saw it again for the first time in...about 20 years...and am still amazed at the quality of the film. In a way Orwell would entirely approve, I think, the beauty of the Oceanian anthem and the cleverness of the propaganda films are seductive and frankly horrifying when linked to one of the most hopeless, brutal visions of the human condition ever codified.

Since the last time I engaged the work, I've spent a good deal more time getting familiar with the Orwell's life and the WWII/postwar period in Britain (not that I would claim to have any deep understanding....just a better awareness) which certainly helps inform Orwell's worldview: the whole "Airstrip One = England" concept, with the geopolitical alliance of the US and England as Oceania can't really be properly understood except in WWII terms--not to mention the tripartite division of the world. And on and on.

Altogether: a fantastic piece of work from writer and director both.

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

I'm glad that you enjoyed the film, I always wonder what the musical would have been like. :rolleyes:

bunny chan

Familiar Face
John in Covina said:
Some of the scenes were filmed in Sierra Madre Southern California not far from me. The Scene at the dentisits office looking down at the triangle where the pod people are doing the distribution of pods is right in Sierra Madre. There is a great Pub right there called Lucky Baldwins, their 2nd location. I always get a thrill thinking of that scene when there.
Wow!! I would like to go sometime!! But I guess that now that place is so different...

B.

bunny chan said:
Wow!! I would like to go sometime!! But I guess that now that place is so different... B.

Yes and no. Sierra Madre still has a small town old town feel to it but what was farm land is now houses. All over Southern California there are places used in the movies and there are some that are the same, only changed a little or changed a lot. Others are simply gone.

The "foothill" communities such as Sierra Madre in the San Gabriel Valley north and east of LA all have a similar small town old town feel with the original main street business and shopping area. Many store fronts now are being "retasked" so specialty shops and restaurants are being put in as well as a hopefully good pub and sometimes a wine and cheese type shop. Often with developement there is an attempt to recapture the old town feel so they may bring the front back to the 1920's or scuplt it into a retro type of look to fit in with other fronts.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I picked up another Film Noir Collection (Volume 3) at Barnes & Noble yesterday. The included documentary "Film Noir: Bringing Darkness Into Light" was very good. Tonight I will be watching "On Dangerous Ground" starring Robert Ryan and Ida Lupino.

duhwilliamson

New in Town
Public Enemy (2009) on DVD. It's pretty good if you can overlook a few historical inaccuracies. But to the film's credit, much of it was shot at the actual locations of events in Dillinger's life, and Depp's performance was first rate as always.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21