Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Silver Dollar said:
It's a great scene when the human headed fly starts screaming "Help me, help me" in that little squeaky voice.
It's now considered to be a classic and memorable horror film scene, but they had some trouble filming it. Vincent Price later stated that they used a tiny "animatronic" figure in the spider web as a reference for he and Herbert Marshall, and every time he and Marshall looked at it they started laughing, so it required several takes.

I liked Cronenberg's The Fly when it was initially released in 1986, but I saw it on cable a few years later and liked it much less; definitely one of those films that couldn't withstand the test of time.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I watched West Point of the Air (1935) yesterday on TCM. Surprisingly exciting...even had special effects! I like Robert Young, and this was a really interesting movie about the early days of military flying. The pretty Robert Taylor even has one of his very first (tiny) roles in it.

Set and filmed right near me, at Randolf AFB in San Antonio. Can't beat that!

Anyone else

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
A Good Look

I just Watched "Peggy Sue Got Married" again. I think it was new in about 1986. I saw it originally when it was new in the theater. It's a neet romantic fantasy but if you watch it close it gives a pretty good idea of what the world looked like to a teenager in 1960. It's a fun watch.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I love Peggy Sue Got Married.

I think it's Francis Ford Coppola's most underrated film, and it was unfortunately overshadowed by that other time travel comedy, Back To The Future, which came out the same year. But Peggy Sue is a far more mature film, less concerned with plot mechanics and gags (though it's awfully funny) than about the choices we make in life and how things change over time. Besides a wonderful lead performance by Kathleen Turner (and a very odd one by Nicolas Cage) it features a bunch of soon-to-be-stars in supporting roles - Helen Hunt, Joan Allen, Jim Carrey.

Just thinking about the scene when Peggy's mom (Barbara Harris) hands her the phone and says, "Here, Grandma wants to talk to you..." and Peggy's reaction when she realizes that she's about to speak to her beloved, long-gone grandmother gets me totally ferklempt. I consider it the film's signature moment, and it's beautifully played by Turner.

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
The Grandma phone call really gets me too. I'm glad to know I'm not the only sentimentalist that gets it. Since my Grandma's are both gone now I can only imagine what that would be like. I still get tears when I watch it.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Top Secret! & Airplane! on TCM last night. Glad they had those on because I needed a good laugh after this week. I just love spoof movies like that with plenty of sight gags & witty comic dialog, even if they are cheesy. :)

Cheers!

Dan

Scott Wood

Practically Family
DanielJones said:
Top Secret! & Airplane! on TCM last night. Glad they had those on because I needed a good laugh after this week. I just love spoof movies like that with plenty of sight gags & witty comic dialog, even if they are cheesy. :)

Cheers!

Dan
I love Top Secret!!!! Gotta get the dvd!
"I know a little german..." lol lol lol

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Fallen Angel" (1945) starring Dana Andrews and Linda Darnell.
I thought it was a great movie and Linda Darnell was as striking as always.
Nice twist for an ending, too.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Robert Downey, Jr. Sherlock Holmes. It was fun to pick out the references to the novels and short stories, i.e., Holmes shooting a VR with his pistol. Didn't care for the characterization of Holmes as a quirky slob.

vinspired

Familiar Face
Careful, he might hear you (1983) - another great Australian adaptation and the young actor who played PS is so adorable - and - Sunset Blvd (1950) - William Holden looks handsome as per usual and Gloria Swanson looks scary as per usual :)

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song

This weekend I finally watched Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, Melvin Van Peebles seminal 1971 film that not only started the Blacksplotation craze, but showed that an independent film could succeed in America.

The film is dated, but still fresh with amazing cinematography, editing, and sound choices. It is rated X for good reason and does have a sexual scene with 12 year old Mario Van Peebles that would not get filmed today. Not for everyone, but if you enjoy art-house films and film history, it is a must see.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
This past weekend we watched "Adam's Rib" from 1949, starring Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn.

It was a hoot, but that Kip character was a bit over the top.

Cheers,
Tom

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Tonight we watched William Castle's "Shank", with Marcel Marceau, that I recorded from TCM a few weeks ago. Not an easy film to describe at all, though words like weird, bizarre, haunting, otherworldly, mime, zombie, black humor, and "ooh I want that morning coat" come to mind.

Edward

Bartender
A few days ago I finally saw Saving Private Ryan, a film I had long avoided due to what I feared would be the combination of Gung-Ho nationalism and Spielberg's trademark cloying, saccharine sentimentality. I was pleasantly surprised by it for the most part.

John in Covina said:
Actually Price is Francois the brother of the scientist Andre who is mutated by the teleportation machine. Andre was played by David Heidson.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051622/

oops, yes...

MCPRE

Familiar Face
My Uncle Michael died 6 weeks after D-Day (survived that), only to fall inland in a small village in France, ironically pretty much followed the movies storyline. I heard a quote the other day, I missed who said it but when asked by French leaders years later to take all of our goods out of Europe, he quipped - does that include our dead, I liked that one. As for most wars, whether we should have gone or not, Hitlers reign was ended.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
I finally saw Sita Sings the Blues and loved it. Unique, charming, and downright psychedelic... actually, nearly Yellow Submarine-level psychedelic.

Far out, man!

I LOVE Sita Sings the Blues. I've watched it over and over again, I never tire of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR