Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Feraud

Bartender
Lady Day said:
Season 3 of Dexter was the best season of the show, by far. You are in for a treat! :D

Season 2 left a bad taste in my mouth, but 3 made up for it big time.

LD
Season 2 was intense and busy. I guess it was the multiple storylines they were juggling. I hope Lila enjoyed her trip in Paris as much as I did. :)

Jimmy Smits is outstanding in season 3!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
Season 2 was intense and busy. I guess it was the multiple storylines they were juggling. I hope Lila enjoyed her trip in Paris as much as I did. :)

Jimmy Smits is outstanding in season 3!

I *hated* her. They spent so much time and energy in developing Dexter as a character who wasnt easily turned by sex, almost didnt understand it, and then here you go :eusa_doh:

It was just a too easy storyline, and frankly unbelievable. She really weighed down that season.

LD

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I started watching "The League" on F/X. The humor may not be for everyone but I find it very entertaining. It follows a group of five friends through their "fantasy football" season.

Panache

A-List Customer
The last episode of the 2nd season of Babylon 5, "The Fall of Night"

Before that a number of "The Good Life" episodes (a charming British Comedy series)

Cheers

Jamie

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Oh dear, the Mr. has finally put his Blackadder IV dvd in the player. You know, "Blackadder Goes Forth", WWI, etc. It took me alot of effort and quite some time to be able to watch "House MD" without seeing Hugh Laurie say "bugger me with a fishfork", and now I'm back to square one.

BlameOnMame

New in Town
Oh goodness, I am totally obsessed with The Office right now. I just recently finished watching every episode in order, MAN that show is great. I finally get why it's been on the air for so long and why everybody loves it so much.
I have to start from the beginning to really get a show.
Jim and Pam might have to be the best TV couple ever.

crismans

New in Town
Probably Supernatural. I also watch Heroes, The Venture Brothers, and Doctor Who pretty faithfully. I'm really wanting to get the first seasons of Mad Men and get into that.

This doesn't, of course, count what is on our TV most of the time--Nick Jr. If anyone wants to talk Yo Gabba Gabba, Max and Ruby, or the Wonder Pets, I'm your guy. :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ep 4 of 'V'
Eh.
Im disappointed in that these 'fighters' are looking for the fight, as opposed to the people in the original who had their fights/resistance status thrust upon them. All the humans seem way too complacent, and yet they say the Visitors (I think calling them V is stupid) rely on man kinds 'predictability'.

Another thing is they seem to have give the visitors a colony mentality, with a 'queen' at its head. That is really disappointing.

Its just frustrating when you see something that could be pretty cool, watered down to the point of feeling like a mid season replacement.

LD

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Given it's falling ratings trough its four-episode run, I'm not sure that they're even going to continue the V series, LD.

It was better than I was expecting - i.e., watchable. That's not saying much...

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
The next to last episode of BBC's Robin Hood. I missed season two (though know its end), and although I will miss the show when it ends, I feel that it has run its course.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Berlin

I have been watching a programme on the BBC called "Berlin"

Matt Frei takes us on an extraordinary journey around Berlin in a new series from the BBC and The Open University. He reveals the city's unique culture, extraordinary past and electrifying present.

The story of Berlin and its buildings is one of visionary creation and terrible destruction, of human ambition and delusion. From the 19th-century architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel to the Bauhaus pioneers of Modernism and the rebuilding of the city after the fall of the Wall, it is a city that has always looked to the future.

Architect Albert Speer had grand plans to transform Berlin into a monumental Nazi capital for Adolf Hitler, and the buildings that remain from his scheme are still haunted by their terrible associations.

There is no other city in the world where the morality of the architecture has been so heavily scrutinized. Buildings with Imperial, Nazi and Communist pasts all inspire fierce debates about whether this city should acknowledge or deny its chequered history
Unquote

Jolly interesting.

BenMartin

New in Town
Hitler's Lost Sub

This was a NOVA episode about a U boat found off the coast of New Jersey that took 6 years to identify.
It was a mystery that was solved through risk and hard work and a lot of research. Turned out to be U869 that was reported lost off the coast of Africa near the entrance to the Mediterranean.

Warden

One Too Many
New BBC Tv series might be worth watching

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8340661.stm

_46745786_smallislandcomp.jpg

SayCici

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Im disappointed in that these 'fighters' are looking for the fight, as opposed to the people in the original who had their fights/resistance status thrust upon them. All the humans seem way too complacent, and yet they say the Visitors (I think calling them V is stupid) rely on man kinds 'predictability'.

Another thing is they seem to have give the visitors a colony mentality, with a 'queen' at its head. That is really disappointing.

Its just frustrating when you see something that could be pretty cool, watered down to the point of feeling like a mid season replacement.
I take it you've seen the original? Looking at the show with a pair of fresh eyes, I think the reasons behind them all getting involved with the resistance make sense, and they didn't really need to look for a better reason to take up arms. The priest has the internal struggle of once being a soldier, and now being someone who cares for and guides others (and who knows about the Visitors because of someone coming to him, he was doing what he thought was right and got thrown into the events of that evening), Erica obviously is in the FBI so she has interest in protecting others, especially her son, and then Ryan has turned away from his own kind because of their motives and whole culture/way of being. Their reasoning is just as honorable as any other reason to fight a population of aliens who want to wipe out or enslave your race.

I do think it's weird how there were no obstacles at all in getting the diplomatic immunity and passports. There would probably be more trouble for a traveler coming into the U.S. from any other country trying to obtain such a visa.

Complacent and predictability aren't opposites. I don't know, this is how I would expect the majority of humans to react if something like this happened - an easy solution? No responsibility? Those are things people like.

I wasn't planning on watching this show at all, I'm usually not that into sci-fi, especially dealing with aliens, but it's held my interest. I just hope they keep it to one season/a short series.

Watching 30 Rock season 1 on Netflix.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SayCici said:
I take it you've seen the original?

I have, and I would suggest you take a look at it. You say you are not into sci fi, and to tell the truth, the original wasnt really that. It felt more like a drama country/occupation sort of thing. There were political underhandings played on the Visitor's side as much as we often see on the human side and that is what made both people relatable.

SayCici said:
Looking at the show with a pair of fresh eyes...their reasoning is just as honorable as any other reason to fight a population of aliens who want to wipe out or enslave your race...Complacent and predictability aren't opposites.

Complacency is not the first predictable human behavior, not with the scope of change the show is trying to convince us of. What does man kind do when we are faced with something strange? We freak out. And how do we freak out? We generally want to kill it.

The show is a fast food version of its former trying to be passed off as a re envision. Im not opposed to an update of the show, I think it could be good, but I find it laughable that this entire show seems to be about Visitors vs the human populace. Where are leaders of State? Where are the crazy you tube videos of strange things? Where are the scientists? Scientists were crucial in the original V and I find it astonishing human scientists seem to be irrelevant in any of this. I find it COMPLETELY ridiculous that they can do medical things to our people, but we dont know a thing about their genealogy.

Instead the show has focused on the lighter aspects of the original series, fighting and the alien pregnancy. Fighting. Well, what are you going to fight? The V. How? With a resistance. To do what? Expose them. Then what? Ummm...

In the original, the people didnt look for the fight, it came to them, and that created an entire character dynamic that is so hard to find in modern tv. Instead we get TV shows were people are heros from the start, and we just see that progression to their endgame.

Im done blathering :)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner