Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Edward

Bartender
Masterpiece Classic on PBS TONIGHT!

Caveat: Apart from the Victorian setting, I have avoided spoilers on this episode, but note that it's part of the (excellent) CONTEMPORARY-set Sherlock series, so to what extent it's a close adaptation of the original stories vs. the modern events depicted in the series is unclear. Dream? Fantasy? Earlier ancestors? No relationship or explanation? We'll see.

NOT REALLY A SPOILER:

Turns out it's just incredibly lazy writing. Moffat strikes again.

You know, I was pretty dubious about Penny Dreadful - I expected a mess on the order of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film - but I like it a lot. I agree that it's totally outstanding in every category you mentioned. And the second season is even better than the first: "The Cut Wife" episode was one of last year's very best hours of TV!
It is one of the best shows I have seen since Deadwood; although, I really liked the first season of True Detective. Glad to hear that this season is even better.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Season one, episode three of Flight of the Conchords - "Yoko", where Gemain is upset that Bret's girlfriend is taking up his time, and manager Murray convinces Gemain that she's like the group's Yoko Ono.

Love it!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I liked it, especially all its nods to the bits of classic Holmes lore (though I kept expecting a reference to "the tale of Giant Rat of Sumatra, for which the world is not yet ready"!) Say what you will about the 1895 storyline taking place in Holmes' mind palace - pretty much the sort of rationale I expected - it made for an enjoyable, beautifully done production with some great moments.

Too bad there won't be any more Sherlock episodes until at least 2017. But that's okay, Cumberbatch will be starring as my man Doctor Strange in November...

In the Name of the Omnipotent Oshtur, reveal yourself!

DrStrange-firstimages.png

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I liked it, especially all its nods to the bits of classic Holmes lore (though I kept expecting a reference to "the tale of Giant Rat of Sumatra, for which the world is not yet ready"!) Say what you will about the 1895 storyline taking place in Holmes' mind palace - pretty much the sort of rationale I expected - it made for an enjoyable, beautifully done production with some great moments.

Too bad there won't be any more Sherlock episodes until at least 2017. But that's okay, Cumberbatch will be starring as my man Doctor Strange in November...

In the Name of the Omnipotent Oshtur, reveal yourself!

View attachment 41282

I can't wait for this film! Cumberbatch is just superb at everything he does.

Mythbusters. The Science Channel has been running a 10-day marathon (presumably as a ramp-up to first episode of the final season) that ends at 6:00 a.m. on Monday, and I've been able to watch a few episodes I hadn't seen before. I still find the show to be enjoyable even when the cast is just going through the motions to show why something can or can't happen, so I'll miss it when it's gone.

DNO

One Too Many
Curse of Oak Island....aha! I knew it would be the Aztecs! Those pesky Central Americans...who knew?

Makes you wonder why the History Channel (Canadian version) never seems to actually show much in the way of history any more (including this immense time-waster).

I always enjoy the references to "the many Oak Island theorists"...I wonder if they're related to the "ancient astronaut theorists" ?

William G.

One of the Regulars
I started season 4 of Mad Men tonight. I've seen the whole series several times over, except for the final 7 episodes. I think the last episode I watched tonight was #3 of the season.

"Nova: First Air War" via Netflix streaming.

The Nova series is outstanding, rarely has a bad episode, and this one is no exception. This episode shows how, in WWI, the airplane went from almost a novelty at the start, to a decisive war machine and weapon by the end. Using a New Zealand based "club" that builds exact replica of WWI airplanes from the original plans, Nova illustrates how the the airplane transition from rudimentary surveillance to sophisticated reconnaissance, bomber and fighter via continuous advances in design, material and weaponry by both sides in the war. Just as you are forming a question in your head - how didn't that just result in the gunner shooting his own plane - Nova would provide the answer - the struts were moved back, the propellor was synchronize to the gun, etc.

Highly recommend this to anyone interested in the topic.

I think I may have to rewatch the entire season at some point. :D

We are being very stingy with our watching of them as they are so good.

Recorded but haven't watch "Downton's" new episode yet, but watched, probably, five or six hours intermittently over the long weekend of past episode as they were running all the time on PBS. It doesn't matter what year or what episode, it is a fun show to watch. I forgot how much Mary and Edith undermine each other - lovely sisters those two.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
We are being very stingy with our watching of them as they are so good.

Recorded but haven't watch "Downton's" new episode yet, but watched, probably, five or six hours intermittently over the long weekend of past episode as they were running all the time on PBS. It doesn't matter what year or what episode, it is a fun show to watch. I forgot how much Mary and Edith undermine each other - lovely sisters those two.

I was absolutely in love with this show - until they killed off Sybil and Matthew. That season completely gutted me and I never recovered my spark for it. I do love it - but not enough to buy the DVDs (I have the first two seasons on DVD, but won't buy the rest).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart