Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

I was absolutely in love with this show - until they killed off Sybil and Matthew. That season completely gutted me and I never recovered my spark for it. I do love it - but not enough to buy the DVDs (I have the first two seasons on DVD, but won't buy the rest).

I don't know if Sybil wanted out, but I believe Matthew wanted out and was only killed off for that reason. I saw a special (not that I would ever watch a special on "Downton Abbey" as that would be for losers) where Fellowes says he was really upset that he had to kill off Matthew. I liked Sybil, but she was not as prominent a character as Matthew or the other two sisters. I also really like Tom as he matured in a way I could see happening which is he is still true to his Irish working class roots and values, but now that he has seen inside "the Manor House," his view of the upper class is more complex and balanced. People evolve in real life - it is nice to see that captured so well in this show, as sometimes it is not.

We own several years of it on DVD - my girlfriend is more the buyer of DVDs as I believe it will, eventually, all be on demand in some form or another, but she likes to "own" some shows / movies that she really loves. That said, after watching so much of it this weekend, I wouldn't mind owning it as it will be fun to watch again in years to come. I read that Fellowes is working on a Edith-Wharton-era New York show - that could be fun.

green papaya

One Too Many
I watched a rarely seen episode of the TWILIGHT ZONE called "The Encounter" Season 5 episode 31 , that aired back on May 1, 1964.

A World War II veteran and a Japanese-American gardener battle each other over a war that ended more than 20 years ago.

it seemed like the Samurai sword that was brought back as a war trophy from WWII caused both men to become possessed by the ghost of the Japanese soldier that was killed in cold blood by the former US soldier.

one of the most interesting episodes Ive seen.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if Sybil wanted out, but I believe Matthew wanted out and was only killed off for that reason. I saw a special (not that I would ever watch a special on "Downton Abbey" as that would be for losers) where Fellowes says he was really upset that he had to kill off Matthew. I liked Sybil, but she was not as prominent a character as Matthew or the other two sisters. I also really like Tom as he matured in a way I could see happening which is he is still true to his Irish working class roots and values, but now that he has seen inside "the Manor House," his view of the upper class is more complex and balanced. People evolve in real life - it is nice to see that captured so well in this show, as sometimes it is not.

We own several years of it on DVD - my girlfriend is more the buyer of DVDs as I believe it will, eventually, all be on demand in some form or another, but she likes to "own" some shows / movies that she really loves. That said, after watching so much of it this weekend, I wouldn't mind owning it as it will be fun to watch again in years to come. I read that Fellowes is working on a Edith-Wharton-era New York show - that could be fun.

I knew Dan Stevens (Matthew) had wanted out (and really, who could blame him after that ridiculous story line where he can suddenly walk again?), but I was hoping it would be handled a bit more delicately. I dunno...send him off to Africa and he gets killed by pirates or something. :D

Sybil's death hit me so hard because Tom and Sybil were my absolute favorite couple on that show. She was such a spitfire, and she took a giant risk by marrying him. I loved that in her, and I loved them together. So when she died...oh gosh. I think I was in shock for two days (I tend to become too emotionally attached to shows, which bothers me no end because as in Sybil's case, it was a fictional character who died, yet I felt like I'd lost my best friend!).

All that being said, I'm glad it's ending now. I have enjoyed the last two seasons (though the Anna/Bates storyline was growing very old) and I can't wait to watch the rest of Season 6.

I'm also emotionally invested in Poldark. I love Demelza and Ross together (yes, I am an utterly sappy romantic). But at least I know the characters won't be killed off - as long as they follow the books.. :D

... (I tend to become too emotionally attached to shows, which bothers me no end because as in Sybil's case, it was a fictional character who died, yet I felt like I'd lost my best friend!).

All that being said, I'm glad it's ending now. I have enjoyed the last two seasons (though the Anna/Bates storyline was growing very old) and I can't wait to watch the rest of Season 6.....

Please, I still have never fully recovered from Lily Bart's death in "House of Mirth," so unnecessary, she should have married Seldon.

And, yes, while I love both characters, the Anna / Bates storyline was beyond ridiculous.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Please, I still have never fully recovered from Lily Bart's death in "House of Mirth," so unnecessary, she should have married Seldon.

And, yes, while I love both characters, the Anna / Bates storyline was beyond ridiculous.

LOL. I'm glad I'm not alone.

I watched Atonement once - never again. Same with Cold Mountain. Both films were well done and beautiful - but they absolutely gutted me.

LOL. I'm glad I'm not alone.

I watched Atonement once - never again. Same with Cold Mountain. Both films were well done and beautiful - but they absolutely gutted me.

Very funny, I felt the same way about both movies - awesome movies, but haven't watch them again because they were so emotionally draining (same feeling about "Leaving Las Vegas").

And one of the best lines ever comes from "Cold Mountain" when the young gun says to a tired and pre-maturely aging Jude Law in response to Law's character's question as to what he has on his side - as they face off against each other with guns about to be drawn - "the confidence of youth." Chilling.

What a fantastic line / says so much / reminds us all of our youth.

Last edited:

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
I quite enjoyed 'and then there were none' on the BBC that was shown over Christmas, started watching it as I recognised Mullion Cove and Kynance Cove in Cornwall at the beginning and then found the interior of the house rather nice (Art Deco style) also thought is a rather good rendition of the tale.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I quite enjoyed 'and then there were none' on the BBC that was shown over Christmas, started watching it as I recognised Mullion Cove and Kynance Cove in Cornwall at the beginning and then found the interior of the house rather nice (Art Deco style) also thought is a rather good rendition of the tale.

I want to see this, and I hope our PBS station will show it. One, because it's Agatha Christie and two, because Aidan Turner is in it. :D

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
I want to see this, and I hope our PBS station will show it. One, because it's Agatha Christie and two, because Aidan Turner is in it. :D

You will not be disappointed as 1 is it is rather a good drama, 2 Aidan has quite a role in it and so I assume you are a Poldark fan too? Also a good drama with only some scenes set in Cornwall.

I hope you get to watch it soon.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Nova: First Air War" via Netflix streaming.

The Nova series is outstanding, rarely has a bad episode, and this one is no exception. This episode shows how, in WWI, the airplane went from almost a novelty at the start, to a decisive war machine and weapon by the end. Using a New Zealand based "club" that builds exact replica of WWI airplanes from the original plans, Nova illustrates how the the airplane transition from rudimentary surveillance to sophisticated reconnaissance, bomber and fighter via continuous advances in design, material and weaponry by both sides in the war. Just as you are forming a question in your head - how didn't that just result in the gunner shooting his own plane - Nova would provide the answer - the struts were moved back, the propellor was synchronize to the gun, etc.

Highly recommend this to anyone interested in the topic.

Yeah I caught this on the Flix about a month past. Well done... Those guys in New Zealand were/are obsessed. I caught the American version of these cats at "The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome" many years ago... Of course the Americans used the planes to put on a "show" still. Loved seeing em fly!

Worf

Yeah I caught this on the Flix about a month past. Well done... Those guys in New Zealand were/are obsessed...Worf

I love that they don't make any "improvement" to the planes from a modern perspective because, (1) they want to have nearly the same experience that the WWI pilots had and (2) and this is a great point, while we might think we are making an improvement today, these planes flew thousand of combat hours for years - they worked pretty darn well with "flaws" and all. Unless I missed it, they didn't say where they got their funding as that has to be an insanely expensive operation and it didn't look like it was struggling for cash.

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
I love that they don't make any "improvement" to the planes from a modern perspective because, (1) they want to have nearly the same experience that the WWI pilots had and (2) and this is a great point, while we might think we are making an improvement today, these planes flew thousand of combat hours for years - they worked pretty darn well with "flaws" and all. Unless I missed it, they didn't say where they got their funding as that has to be an insanely expensive operation and it didn't look like it was struggling for cash.

I wish I had seen this program! I was recently doing research on RFC aircraft losses in WW1 and I was amazed at how many were lost or damaged by engine failure, often on take-off or landing.

It seems that this evening's NOVA deals with mine warfare in WW1. Should be interesting.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Most of their funding, from what I understand comes form, Peter Jackson, of Lord Of The Rings fame. No WWI airplane flew for a 1,000 hours, their life expectancy was often measured in days. The engines were only good for at best 200 hours. During Bloody April, 1917, the life expectancy of a British pilot was 17 1/2 hours! Sobering.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I wish I had seen this program! I was recently doing research on RFC aircraft losses in WW1 and I was amazed at how many were lost or damaged by engine failure, often on take-off or landing.

It seems that this evening's NOVA deals with mine warfare in WW1. Should be interesting.
I have often heard that more pilots died in training, then in combat. Then as now, takeoff and landing are the two most dangerous times for a pilot.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Flight of the Conchords, final episode season one (the third Conchord - Todd the bongo player) and first episode season 2 (the Crazy Dogggz get huge then implode).

Brilliant!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart