Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Binged last week's 3-part Childhood's End. Not a great "modernized" adaptation, but it was considerably better than I expected from Syfy. (I watched with a friend who'd reread Clarke's novel recently - I read it back in the 70s - so I had some input on the plot changes. Some were pretty questionable.) It was overstuffed, it would have been more effective if shorter. But Charles Dance was very good as Karellen.

Watched the season finale of "Indian Summers," which kept getting better with each episode. I'm really surprised this show gets almost no attention here as it is beautifully filmed, has incredible (if sometimes exaggerated) period details, styles, sets, clothes, etc. and a good story about the British Empire in India and the growing Indian dissension occurring in the '30s.

Also recently watched the season finale of "Home Fires" which is also a very beautifully filmed period piece. "Home Fires" is set in the late '30s / early '40s in a small British village and centers on how the town adjusts socially, politically, morally to the start of the war.

Both shows are well-written (not the best shows ever, but head and shoulders above regular TV offerings) and have outstanding period sets, etc. (as noted above) - really surprised that neither show seems to have much of a following with FL members.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Watched the season finale of "Indian Summers," which kept getting better with each episode. I'm really surprised this show gets almost no attention here as it is beautifully filmed, has incredible (if sometimes exaggerated) period details, styles, sets, clothes, etc. and a good story about the British Empire in India and the growing Indian dissension occurring in the '30s.

Both shows are well-written (not the best shows ever, but head and shoulders above regular TV offerings) and have outstanding period sets, etc. (as noted above) - really surprised that neither show seems to have much of a following with FL members.
There are a few of us, but I think you answered your own bewilderment. It's a good show, but it isn't on the great side. By design, they went for a more subdued vibe, and I think that has a strong affect on watchers. It works well with the story, the look etc, but it also doesn't create a strong dedication or excitement. It impressed me, but I also didn't find myself fiending for the next episode. I was happy to watch it, but that "I cannot wait for Sunday to watch the new Indian Summers!" wasn't part of its joy, either. Not many shows rise to that mark, and I don't think this one does for most.

There are a few of us, but I think you answered your own bewilderment. It's a good show, but it isn't on the great side. By design, they went for a more subdued vibe, and I think that has a strong affect on watchers. It works well with the story, the look etc, but it also doesn't create a strong dedication or excitement. It impressed me, but I also didn't find myself fiending for the next episode. I was happy to watch it, but that "I cannot wait for Sunday to watch the new Indian Summers!" wasn't part of its joy, either. Not many shows rise to that mark, and I don't think this one does for most.

All good points and, I agree, I don't find myself pining for the next episode, but I really do enjoy them when they hit my DVR.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

Also recently watched the season finale of "Home Fires" which is also a very beautifully filmed period piece. "Home Fires" is set in the late '30s / early '40s in a small British village and centers on how the town adjusts socially, politically, morally to the start of the war.

AH! I knew there was a show I was forgetting to watch! I watched the first two episodes of Home Fires, then went to England and missed the rest, and then completely forgot to finish them up. Crap. I'll have to see if they're available online somewhere.

AH! I knew there was a show I was forgetting to watch! I watched the first two episodes of Home Fires, then went to England and missed the rest, and then completely forgot to finish them up. Crap. I'll have to see if they're available online somewhere.

Usually, Netflix gets the "old" season when the "new" season starts up, so you might have to wait a bit if that is the route you go, but of course, there are a lot of other sites that might have it, I just mainly use Netflix.

However you do find it, I need you to see it so that I have someone to talk to about it. It's not a "wow" story, it's more a slow, steady and nuanced drama that works more as time travel bringing you into early WWII England. That said, some characters are quite engaging and there are some periods of high drama. Knowing your WWII penchant, I'm pretty confident you'll enjoy it.

skydog757

A-List Customer
Kennedy Center Honors. The Carol King tribute was amazing. It's hard to breathe new life into songs that everyone's head thousands of times, but these renditions really impressed me.

Huzzah! So glad you liked it. I was absolutely thrilled (and not terribly surprised) that they renewed it for a second season.
It appears that most everyone who gave it a look, really enjoyed it. It was very well done with some outstanding acting, writing, and directing.
:D
Will most likely start Season Two of Penny Dreadful tonight. Season One was so entertaining, it will be surprising if Two is just as good.

Oh yeah, finally finished Daredevil. Watched the last three episodes (Christmas Break is great now that the sinus infection is disappearing) last night. I enjoyed it, but... it lacked something. Next up, Jessica Jones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart