Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Lizzie is just trying to stir the pot by elevating pork sausage at the expense of bacon, but - in truth - I think she's just bored and wanted to wind us up.
Oh, it’s Lizzie. Umm... I think that will be a lost battle. Pork sausage is good. Last Sunday’s breakfast had Bacon and pork sausage so I cannot say anything negative about pork sausage. Actually, I do not believe that I have anything negative to say about pork or sausage. Bacon, nonetheless, is King.
:D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Oh, it’s Lizzie. Umm... I think that will be a lost battle. Pork sausage is good. Last Sunday’s breakfast had Bacon and pork sausage so I cannot say anything negative about pork sausage. Actually, I do not believe that I have anything negative to say about pork or sausage. Bacon, nonetheless, is King.
Hear! Hear! And well said my good man! Who say's there's no knowledge to be found WEST of the Mississippi!

Worf

In prep for the new season of "The Man in the High Castle" we've been watching the last few episodes of the previous season. It is a fantastic show - well-drawn characters, complexly smart plots and visually freakin' gorgeous. Can't wait for the new seasons.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For the record, I do enjoy bacon, but I've never felt like I've gotten my money's worth on it -- those big thick slices in the package come out of the pan all wizzled up and small and it feels like a cheat. Whereas boiled, fried, or grilled, a kielbasa is always a kielbasa.

Re "High Castle" -- I went to see a movie last night at The Other Theatre, and among their trailers they had a commercial for the new season of this show. Seeing the Statue Of Liberty being blown up and the Liberty Bell being lowered into a smelter's crucible gave it a certain "Planet of the Apes" quality I find intriguing. I may take a look at this show on DVD.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Jamestown. PBS. "from the makers of Downton Abbey". Why haven't we heard more buzz about it? Because it is pretty dang crappy. I'll say this: they didn't waste any time getting into it. If you like character development, this doesn't appear to be a show for you. Not much of a budget either.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
For the record, I do enjoy bacon, but I've never felt like I've gotten my money's worth on it -- those big thick slices in the package come out of the pan all wizzled up and small and it feels like a cheat. Whereas boiled, fried, or grilled, a kielbasa is always a kielbasa.

Ahem... Ahem ah say. After tangling with an ill prepared pork chop whilst in the Army... I gave up pork for about 15 years. Much to the dismay of my Mother's side of the family that ate everything the pig could offer from the oink to the tail. I was accused of being a "muslim" a "closet communist"... everything but my Mother's youngest son. Nothing got me to break, not chops, loins, pigs knuckles, chitlins or anything else. HOWEVER...

One Sunday morning while visiting family in rural North Carolina, my Aunts were downstairs in the kitchen preparing a REAL southern breakfast. As I lay in twilight... betwixt and between sleep and consciousness... a familiar smell wafted upwards from downstairs. It was wonderful, an alluring, heady scent from my past. Zombie like I stumbled downstairs to find scrambled eggs with fish roe, grits, clabber biscuits and BACON. As if in a dream I devoured all before me... and thus ended my porcine fast. Bacon is truly the work of Satan! Invented to lure the righteous and vegans amongst us to our respective dooms... I should know.

Worf

3fingers

One Too Many
Jamestown. PBS. "from the makers of Downton Abbey". Why haven't we heard more buzz about it? Because it is pretty dang crappy. I'll say this: they didn't waste any time getting into it. If you like character development, this doesn't appear to be a show for you. Not much of a budget either.
I haven't seen this show, but your review reminds me of something I have always wondered about. I know almost nothing about how television or movies are produced, but it seems like at some point during production somebody (like whoever is paying the bills) would say "good Lord this is awful. Either fix it or go away". It never seems to happen though and another pile of rubbish is inflicted upon the viewer.

...Bacon is truly the work of Satan! Invented to lure the righteous and vegans amongst us to our respective dooms... I should know.

Worf
Interesting choice of words. I have spoken with at least a few vegetarians or Vegans who told me the "dirty little secret" among their kind is that the smell of bacon is the biggest temptation they face, and that more often than not it's the reason they'll fall off the vegetable wagon.

Re "High Castle" -- I went to see a movie last night at The Other Theatre, and among their trailers they had a commercial for the new season of this show. Seeing the Statue Of Liberty being blown up and the Liberty Bell being lowered into a smelter's crucible gave it a certain "Planet of the Apes" quality I find intriguing. I may take a look at this show on DVD.

Starting with bacon, it has too much game to be a cheat; if shrinking from cooking is part of its formula for success, then it is what it is. Efficiency has its place, but if Pollock wasted paint, what of it?

And onto "Man in the High Castle." If memory serves, give it a few episodes in season one to click in. That said, while it is far from rah-rah America (it isn't), it also isn't bringing the hate for America, if that's what you're looking for - just fyi.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think it's more a sense of dystopic alternate history I find intriguing -- plus the idea of an underground movement undermining the fascists is always something I'll spend time on. I've not read much Philip K. Dick, but what I've seen on this looks interesting.

At the deli I worked at for a while in California they didn't sell bacon, it being treif and all, but they did sell cured beef belly, which is basically kosher bacon. It wasn't bad, but like the piggy kind it shrivels up when cooked, and you have to figure out what to do with the rendered grease.

I think it's more a sense of dystopic alternate history I find intriguing -- plus the idea of an underground movement undermining the fascists is always something I'll spend time on. I've not read much Philip K. Dick, but what I've seen on this looks interesting.

At the deli I worked at for a while in California they didn't sell bacon, it being treif and all, but they did sell cured beef belly, which is basically kosher bacon. It wasn't bad, but like the piggy kind it shrivels up when cooked, and you have to figure out what to do with the rendered grease.

I'm a big fan of TMITHC. Like you, I haven't read the books, but I'm glad as, this way, I can approach the show with out any preconceptions. The production quality, intelligence of the writing and level of acting are all outstanding.

Worf

I'll Lock Up

The "renderings" are traditionally kept on a shelf above the stove as cooking oil to be used in lieu of butter if not too blackened or full of debris.....

Interesting choice of words. I have spoken with at least a few vegetarians or Vegans who told me the "dirty little secret" among their kind is that the smell of bacon is the biggest temptation they face, and that more often than not it's the reason they'll fall off the vegetable wagon.

Ah told ya! Ah told ya! By the by that "vegetable wagon" pun is skin close to being bannage material. Not quite terrible but I wouldn't want to bet mah life on the difference!

Worf

Ahem... Ahem ah say. After tangling with an ill prepared pork chop whilst in the Army... I gave up pork for about 15 years. Much to the dismay of my Mother's side of the family that ate everything the pig could offer from the oink to the tail. I was accused of being a "muslim" a "closet communist"... everything but my Mother's youngest son. Nothing got me to break, not chops, loins, pigs knuckles, chitlins or anything else. HOWEVER...

One Sunday morning while visiting family in rural North Carolina, my Aunts were downstairs in the kitchen preparing a REAL southern breakfast. As I lay in twilight... betwixt and between sleep and consciousness... a familiar smell wafted upwards from downstairs. It was wonderful, an alluring, heady scent from my past. Zombie like I stumbled downstairs to find scrambled eggs with fish roe, grits, clabber biscuits and BACON. As if in a dream I devoured all before me... and thus ended my porcine fast. Bacon is truly the work of Satan! Invented to lure the righteous and vegans amongst us to our respective dooms... I should know.

Worf
And I am sprinting towards that Doom as long as there is more Bacon to be found/devoured.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Another Season Two episode of The Fugitive: "May God Have Mercy." While working as a hospital orderly, Kimble is recognized and when he tries to run, is shot and then hospitalized. Lt. Gerard arrives to claim him but a surprise awaits: Someone else now claims to be the murderer of Kimble's wife. The zinger is that the man confessing is the father of one of Kimble's pediatric patients from 4 years ago, a little girl who died, and the father (Telly Savalas) blames Kimble for the child's death. . . .

This one is quite exciting, though marred by two plot holes. First, I very much doubt Kimble would ever take a job as an orderly or anything else in a hospital, and especially not in Michigan, so close to Stafford, Indiana. And at the climax, we see Kimble conceal himself in a linen service truck that is about to leave the hospital. Fine -- but then Gerard and the local cop emerge and actually question the driver, but let him go without searching his truck. No. Just, no. As he's been painted up to this point, Gerard would have insisted on searching the truck, and quite possibly every car in the parking lot. If we'd seen Kimble climb into the truck and the vehicle pull out of sight, and then Gerard and the local lieutenant (Norman Fell) come racing out moments too late to see the truck, then it would have worked.

The high point, though, is watching Gerard interrogate Telly Savalas as the father, Leonetti. Leonetti and his wife were neighbors of the Kimbles; they played bridge with them; and Leonetti attended many sessions of Kimble's trial. He has the details right and doesn't fall into any of Gerard's traps.

Oh, and there's a neat line of dialogue. In Kimble's hospital room, Gerard tells him that he will have Kimble extradited back to Indiana. "I'm taking you back to Stafford myself."

Kimble: "Are you going to strap me to the fender of your car?"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy