Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Have you tried "The Last Kingdom"? On Netflix....kind of GoT like without the dragons!!! We loved it. My wife has a huge crush on the lead character.... Utred

I have been reading the books since day one. I just bought the latest, War of the Wolf.

Bernard Cornwell based the character on a real ancestor. He discovered his biological father was a Canadian RCAF member, whom he finally met in British Columbia when Cornwell was 58, William Oughtred. Centuries back, there was an Oughtred of Bebbanburgh, becoming Uhtred for his novels.

The show is awesome, and I love comparing how the characters look on screen compared to how I imagine them while reading!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Tonight to relax, a couple of random Brooklyn Nine-Nine episodes with the girls, one seen through an open screen window as the youngest and I did some James Brown celebrity hot tubbing!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Insomnia last night led me to a random "Hogan's Heroes" rerun on late night TV -- and to the realization that Werner Klemperer really earned those Emmys he won for his performance as Klink, taking what was essentially a cartoon-character role and giving it real nuance. By the end of it I was convinced that Hogan was never as clever as he thought he was -- Klink knew all about what was going on at the camp, and was, in fact, the deep-cover Allied agent to whom Hogan and his men reported. And Burkhalter might have been in on it too, as the master of the entire Hammelburg underground. Of such thoughts are sleepless nights made.

HanauMan

Practically Family
They are showing a rerun of Due South here on TV again, a show that I greatly enjoyed first time round (I can't believe that it came out nearly 25 years ago.....damn I'm old). Always thought that it was a funny show and that Paul Gross and David Marciano worked well as a team, along with the dog / wolf Diefenbaker. However, the real star for me was that real beautiful Buick Riviera.

They are showing a rerun of Due South here on TV again, a show that I greatly enjoyed first time round (I can't believe that it came out nearly 25 years ago.....damn I'm old). Always thought that it was a funny show and that Paul Gross and David Marciano worked well as a team, along with the dog / wolf Diefenbaker. However, the real star for me was that real beautiful Buick Riviera.
Yes, naming the dog Diefenbaker was a cute Canadian political insiders joke that most Americans would not have understood. Perhaps a few Scots and English viewers may have.

Watching a Netflix offering from Denmark..."Rita" a contemporary comedy/light drama. It is growing on us....well written and the character of Rita is a good one. I think the show has depth and we will see out the first season at least....I think there are 4 seasons in total.

Insomnia last night led me to a random "Hogan's Heroes" rerun on late night TV -- and to the realization that Werner Klemperer really earned those Emmys he won for his performance as Klink, taking what was essentially a cartoon-character role and giving it real nuance. By the end of it I was convinced that Hogan was never as clever as he thought he was -- Klink knew all about what was going on at the camp, and was, in fact, the deep-cover Allied agent to whom Hogan and his men reported. And Burkhalter might have been in on it too, as the master of the entire Hammelburg underground. Of such thoughts are sleepless nights made.

Since they bring back Every. Single. Thing., you have just outlined an interesting "refresh" for a new "Hogan's Heroes" movie or series.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
NYPD Blue is getting a reboot. I'm such a fanatical fan of the show, right to the end, but especially the Milch years. I laughed when I read about the proposed angle they'll be taking with Kim Delaney coming back and being the main character, along with someone playing Theo Sipowicz. They'll be investigating the death of Andy. I hope they find some writers, because it all seems pretty damn thin.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Tonight to relax, a couple of random Brooklyn Nine-Nine episodes with the girls, one seen through an open screen window as the youngest and I did some James Brown celebrity hot tubbing!

Think I'm just barely old enough to get that last reference. lol

Wow! Loved that show when it aired here in the U.S. & I have no idea what the dog's name means. Wish we could get some reruns. Remember being confused by "Ray's" replacement, but it turned out okay.

My first car was an '82 Buick Riviera, so, yeah, I'm kinda partial to 'em, as well. :D

NYPD Blue is getting a reboot. I'm such a fanatical fan of the show, right to the end, but especially the Milch years. I laughed when I read about the proposed angle they'll be taking with Kim Delaney coming back and being the main character, along with someone playing Theo Sipowicz. They'll be investigating the death of Andy. I hope they find some writers, because it all seems pretty damn thin.
I watched "Happy as Lazzaro" an Italian movie on Netflix the other night. One of the minor characters looked like Sipowicz and for the rest of the night could not get him and NYPD Blue out of my head.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab

I still chuckle whenever I watch old reruns over the fact that the regular characters who were German military were all portrayed by guys who were US World War II vets. John Banner (Schultz) and Leon Askin (Burkhalder) served in the Army Air Forces, Klemperer was Army Special Services, and SS Sturmbannfuhrer Hochstetter was played by Howard Caine, a US Navy vet of the Pacific Theater. Actors playing roles, obviously, but in light of some of the controversy about the series when it first aired, it's interesting.

My dad was very adamant about it not being on while he was home. He felt that portraying his former enemies as hapless clowns, and turning the American POW experience into sitcom fodder, demeaned the efforts of those who sacrificed so much to defeat a very deadly foe. Understandable- but there were a lot of World War II vets who enjoyed the show. One of the reasons why they are "the Greatest Generation" is because of the diversity of thought, opinion, and outlook among them, I conclude.

I still chuckle whenever I watch old reruns over the fact that the regular characters who were German military were all portrayed by guys who were US World War II vets. John Banner (Schultz) and Leon Askin (Burkhalder) served in the Army Air Forces, Klemperer was Army Special Services, and SS Sturmbannfuhrer Hochstetter was played by Howard Caine, a US Navy vet of the Pacific Theater. Actors playing roles, obviously, but in light of some of the controversy about the series when it first aired, it's interesting.

My dad was very adamant about it not being on while he was home. He felt that portraying his former enemies as hapless clowns, and turning the American POW experience into sitcom fodder, demeaned the efforts of those who sacrificed so much to defeat a very deadly foe. Understandable- but there were a lot of World War II vets who enjoyed the show. One of the reasons why they are "the Greatest Generation" is because of the diversity of thought, opinion, and outlook among them, I conclude.

And added into the mix, Werner Klemperer was part Jewish (mother or father if memory serves).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
My parents - both of whom had served in WWII - felt the same way when the series was running when I was a kid. We were Jewish, and it was the height of the NEVER AGAIN! Holocaust movement in Jewish communities, so anything involving a German prison camp was no subject for comedy. My sister and I were not allowed to watch the show.

Coming to it years later as adult, it just seemed incredibly stupid. So with no childhood nostalgia for the show, I'm not a fan.

My parents - both of whom had served in WWII - felt the same way when the series was running when I was a kid. We were Jewish, and it was the height of the NEVER AGAIN! Holocaust movement in Jewish communities, so anything involving a German prison camp was no subject for comedy. My sister and I were not allowed to watch the show.

Coming to it years later as adult, it just seemed incredibly stupid. So with no childhood nostalgia for the show, I'm not a fan.

I watched it as a kid in reruns, so it does have a bit of nostalgia vibe for me today, but when I watch it now, I think of how much better it could have been, but maybe they had to make the Germans bumbling idiots to make it acceptable at the time. I think a remake - with some of Lizzie's ideas - at the level that smart shows are made today, could be interesting.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Beowulf - Return to the Something or Other" - Don't ask how I wound up watching two episodes of this garbage on Amazon Prime last night (can't blame it or drugs or alcohol... don't do either) I don't know. Suffice it to say this lame assed show can't even be called a "poor man's" "Game of Thrones" the production values are so low. My apartment building in the projects had more cast members. From the opening title on it's clearly a GoT rip-off... right down to the hairy, bearded, English sounding lead. Watching 5 minutes of this will show you how far and above the production values of GoT are compared to all the contenders and pretenders. Avoid at ALL costs!

Worf

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I watched it as a kid in reruns, so it does have a bit of nostalgia vibe for me today, but when I watch it now, I think of how much better it could have been, but maybe they had to make the German's bumbling idiots to make it acceptable at the time. I think a remake - with some of Lizzie's ideas - at the level that smart shows are made today, could be interesting.

It was actually in Klemperer's contract that Klink *had to be an idiot* at all times. He was a firm believer in the idea of disarming evil by mocking it.

One member of the cast, Robert Clary -- Cpl. LeBeau -- was a survivor of Buchenwald. On the other hand, a member of the original cast from the series pilot, the Russian actor Leonid Kinsky, who played a Soviet POW, realized after filming that he just couldn't be around Nazi uniforms and symbolism, and dropped out.

Looking at the show now, it's clearly a product of three distinct threads of mid-sixties pop culture -- the WWII adventure craze, the super-spy craze, and the camp craze. No other era could have produced such a concept -- but I think it could be done, quite interestingly, as a straight espionage/adventure story. There is a great deal of HH fanfic online that goes in precisely that direction.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up

A fun show for sure, but for the record, Mounties don't go about their daily duties in the red serge and Stetson!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

I love Hogan's Heroes. So does my daughter (she's 18 now). A few weeks ago, she had a Hogan's Heroes marathon (we own the entire series on DVD) and I knew then that my work was done. :D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Loved that show when it aired here in the U.S. & I have no idea what the dog's name means. Wish we could get some reruns. Remember being confused by "Ray's" replacement, but it turned out okay.

John Diefenbaker was Prime Minister of Canada between 1957 and 1963.

I am very much old enough to remember Eddie Murphy's James Brown celebrity hot tub opening skit on SNL!

"We gonna get wet"?! "I say, we GONNA GET WET"?!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone here watched The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime? Season 2 came out in December and I absolutely devoured it. This show does everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, exactly right. Witty, sharp dialogue, gorgeous, impeccable costumes, terrific performances by every single cast member...it's just all a joy and a pleasure to watch. If you haven't watched it yet on Amazon Prime, I highly, highly encourage you to do so. You won't regret it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto