What was the last TV show you watched?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Lady Day, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

We found The Frankenstein Chronicles to be pretty entertaining. It isn’t PennyDreadful entertaining, but not much is. It has some interesting twists on the whole Frankenstein thing as well as some nice acting and visuals.

I have yet to finish the Marvel series on Netflix. Luke Cage was my favorite out of the (Cage, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil) three series I had given a shot.
    :D

MisterCairo likes this.
  2. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

Over the last week, we have:
    finished The Crown,
    watched a few episodes of Call the Midwife,
    suffered through a few episodes of Vikings,
    finished off the latest season of Narcos,
    viewed a few more episodes of The Americans,
    and given the The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel another shot.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Worf likes this.
  3. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

It seems as if quite a few people find it to be very entertaining and we had hoped to be among them. :D

MisterCairo and belfastboy like this.
  4. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Too funny! I love the show, but I am a huge fan of the books. I think Alexander Dreymon is quite good as Uhtred, close to what I had in mind, have in mind, reading the books.

Still need to dig into the latest tome, but we are selling our house and building a new one, with work and the girls, life is hectic!

Worf and Touchofevil like this.
  5. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

It seems as if life is always hectic. Congratulations on the new house!

It isn’t the first time that we/I happen to be one of the minority wherein it comes to liking something. I would expect that I would feel different about the show if I had read the books, but I haven’t.

Worf and MisterCairo like this.
  6. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Out of a strong desire to be right about my perspective I searched the internet for a video of the Patricia Arquette character...Tilly Mitchell?....I found an interview with her and voila No accent! She spoke in a normal if perhaps a slight accent, articulated very well, and did not seem at all dim in the way of Arquette's portrayal. Naïve, gullible yes, but not overtly stupid as she was portrayed. I don't like Stiller as an actor so now I can add producer/director to my list of dislikes.

7. Edward

Edward Bartender

I was in the same boat on this (until I got a cheap deal on Prime as an academic). I've been finding them to be excellently complementary to each other, with very little overlap (note: some things that are 'pay extra' on Amazon are already 'free' on Netflix, while Prime has a bunch of exclusive content Netflix doesn't). As both now allow downloading, it's fantastic for when I travel - my tablet can carry more than I have time to watch in a fortnight working in Beijing, which involves quite a lot of downtime. I was never one to pay for delivery with Amazon - work far enough in advance and order the free shipping option was always my preference - but I'm surprisingly enjoying the next-day-delivery facility as part of the Prime deal. Wouldn't pay for it on its own, but I suspect I've more than made my money back on it already.

Worf, Zombie_61, Touchofevil and 2 others like this.
  8. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Another couple of Frankenstein Chronicles. I cannot explain it, especially to my wife, but I have this thing for Anna Maxwell Martin, ever since she did Bleak House. If you have seen the 2005 mini-series (Gillian Anderson, Charles Dance, etc.), she stars with Carey Mulligan, who has gone on to a certain level of recognition. No one understands why in that show I prefer by far AMM over Mulligan. Their character portrayals, perhaps, but that is not quite all...

Sorry, where was I, AMM plays Mary Shelley in the Chronicles.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Touchofevil likes this.
  9. Edward

Edward Bartender

I saw her play Sally Bowles in the West End revival of Cabaret in 2006. She was fantastic - and lovely at the stage door, too.

MisterCairo likes this.
  10. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

To start a dark and dreary morning, The Andy Griffith Show with a cup of coffee.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  11. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

Oh, you won't be disappointed! The Man in the High Castle is incredible. It didn't take me long to breeze through Season 3. Can't wait for Season 4.

belfastboy and Edward like this.
  12. Edward

Edward Bartender

I have one, serious problem with MITHC: it's made me want to spend hundreds more on a mid-length leather workcoat from Aero... ;)

13. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Dexter. Season one. It's not bad but the voice over narration is repetitive and often sounds contrived which kind of breaks the spell of an otherwise vital production.

14. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Playing catch up as seasons return from hiatus.

Finally we have Brooklyn Nine-Nine back after its cancellation, but we missed the first episode as my wife forgot to change the PVR to reflect its new network, NBC, from Fox!

Also finally watching Gotham on its late start final season. I'm trying to get in some Frankenstein Chronicles, and the wife and I need to return to Outlander soon.

15. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

If you like the show, do yourself a favor and stop watching at the end of season four. You'll be tempted to continue, but don't. The reason I say this is that they changed showrunners between seasons four and five, and seasons five through eight get progressively worse culminating in one of the most disappointing final episodes in television history.

Back to the main topic, my wife and I just finished watching season one of The Kominsky Method on Netflix. Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin co-star as Sandy Kominsky, an aging former actor who now runs an acting school in Hollywood (California), and Norman Newlander, Kominsky's long-time agent and curmudgeonly best friend. Like most television shows you're dropped into their lives with no explanation, simply to watch how they deal with advanced age and the life changes that often accompany it. Douglas and Arkin play off of each other well, and this helps to make their characters' long-time friendship believable even though they're very different people.

16. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

UFC Fight Night: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw preliminaries on ESPN and Live PD on A&E.
    What a beautiful fight by Donald Cerrone. He did a nice job of shutting up yet another trash talking loudmouth jerk.

17. bearinfedora

bearinfedora Familiar Face

18. Julian Shellhammer

Julian Shellhammer Practically Family

Another season of Foyle's War, via Acorn TV. Each episode is almost movie length when broadcast over the BBC but minus the commercials runs about an hour and a half. Once you get the slower rhythm, there is often exceptional mystery plotting and solid characterization.
    ...aaaannnd newest episode of Victoria, through PBS.
    Did I mention Corner Gas, the Canadian comedy series, courtesy Amazon Prime? We find the dialogue a combo of both high-speed and deadpan zingers.
    Along with the weekly visits to The Blacklist, Blue Bloods, and SEAL Team. Thank you, inventor of DVR.

MisterCairo likes this.
  19. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

After the Jane Fonda/Lily Tomlin debacle (Frankie & Gracie??) I was reluctant to watch this Kominsky thing but a friend highly recommended it so I gave it go.....loved it and binged over 3 nights to complete. Great TV. I agree it had something lacking in most sitcoms these days....a modicum of humanity.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  20. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

^^^

My wife adores that Frankie and Gracie thing! I have not watched a second and have no plans to.

There's a Das Boot tv series?????

Corner Gas is awesome, we have the entire series on dvd.