1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Lady Day, Sep 3, 2007.

1. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

Has anyone here watched The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime? Season 2 came out in December and I absolutely devoured it. This show does everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, exactly right. Witty, sharp dialogue, gorgeous, impeccable costumes, terrific performances by every single cast member...it's just all a joy and a pleasure to watch. If you haven't watched it yet on Amazon Prime, I highly, highly encourage you to do so. You won't regret it.

Fading Fast likes this.
  2. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Mae, Zombie_61 and BobHufford like this.
  3. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Just started watching episode 12, season two of Luke Cage. Only one and a half episodes left.

Hopefully, Netflix will save this just cancelled series.

Oh, wait...

4. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

We're about half way through S2 - currently watching the episodes where they are vacationing in the Catskills. It's a fun show for all the reasons you note. What also makes it special is that it's a smart, visually attractive show that isn't dour or apocalyptic as so many well-written and acted shows are today. It's refreshing to be entertained and not mentally assaulted.

AmateisGal likes this.
  5. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

There is currently very little hope for any of the Netflix Marvel series. Disney is launching their own streaming service later this year, Disney+, and it will eventually be the main (and in some cases, only) outlet for content from all the Disney-owned producers. That includes Marvel Studios, Pixar, Jim Henson, Lucasfilm, etc., and of course, Disney. (This is very bad news for HBO, Netflix, Amazon, etc.!) If Luke Cage - and Daredevil, Iron Fist, and the undoubtedly-canceled-after-their-coming-seasons Jessica Jones and The Punisher - are ever revived, it will probably be on Disney+, not Netflix.

There have also been rumors that the street-level Marvel heroes from Netflix may be folded into the next phase of Marvel feature films (as some of the now-very-expensive lead actors are sure to "be retired" after this year's Avengers Endgame). I would be okay with that. Or perhaps there will be a revived Defenders series on Disney-owned ABC to replace Agents of SHIELD when it ends...

In any case, I am really sorry to see the Disney Netflix series ending. They found a way to make more "serious" superhero shows with excellent actors and production values, and with quite different approaches from the familiar. I have enjoyed all of them - yes, even Iron Fist and The Punisher - though I think Jessica Jones is the best one.

MisterCairo likes this.
  6. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Started to re-watch Coupling on DVD. It's been a while, and we just love it!

7. Benzadmiral

Benzadmiral Call Me a Cab

Hogan's Heroes fanfic? I guess I should have expected it. There is probably fanfic of the short-lived '90s sitcom Herman's Head, for all I know.

Klemperer was a very versatile actor. I've seen him on Perry Mason in dramatic roles, on Man from U.N.C.L.E. as a villain, and he played Adolf Eichmann in a feature film about the Israeli capture of the war criminal several years before his main TV work. And he plays an unrepentant Nazi in Judgment at Nuremberg, too. (I remember my mother commenting idly back then that WK was "a rather handsome man." Considering that her standard for "handsome" seemed to be David Janssen, "because he looks like the young Clark Gable," and [I suspect] Gable himself, WK was moving in some exalted company.)

Zombie_61 likes this.
  8. Benzadmiral

Benzadmiral Call Me a Cab

A two-part Season Three episode of The Fugitive, "Landscape With Running Figures." "Kimble stumbles, signing his own name on a time-sheet, which sets off a manhunt, while residents battle a flood. Gerard (Barry Morse) drags his wife off of their vacation to join the hounds. With many roads out of the Midwest city under water, Marie Gerard (Barbara Rush) and Kimble (David Janssen) end up on the same eastbound bus."

Quite exciting. At the start of Part II, William Conrad's narration reminds us that -- since Mrs. Gerard didn't really see Kimble before she was temporarily blinded during the bus crash, and Kimble knows her only by the name she is traveling under, "Mrs. Lindsay" -- neither of them knows who the other is. Barbara Rush gives an energetic, febrile performance as the newly blind Mrs. Gerard, whom Kimble is trying to deliver to a hospital; but the town they fetch up in has been evacuated for fear of the bursting of the nearby dam. We learn during a lovely quiet moment that Kimble and his late wife Helen decided to get married when his reserve unit was called up for Korea. She came with him to San Diego, but a housing shortage forced her to stay at the YWCA. So every night, he says, he'd walk his new wife back to the YWCA and kiss her good night -- outside.

Morse's Lt. Gerard states at the end that Kimble is "stuck in my throat and I can't swallow him." He tells Marie that Kimble has touched everything in his, Gerard's, life, except her. "If that happened I couldn't go on." And Marie carefully keeps her own counsel about the Good Samaritan who helped her. . . .