Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
After Deadwood had been officially deemed a success the Los Angeles Times ran an article that addressed the "colorful" language used in the show, i.e. whether or not it truly was accurate and/or excessive. The "expert" they consulted said yes, it was accurate and no, it wasn't excessive. She explained Deadwood, the town, was the Las Vegas of it's day and that most people (men and women) went there to let loose and get away from the "rules" of the more "civilized" big cities; what happened in Deadwood stayed in Deadwood.

I've also read other experts (including the American editor of the Oxford Dictionary) who argue that much of the profanity in Deadwood is modern and unlikely to have been heard at the time. The F word, for instance was used sometimes but only for its original meaning, not as a multi-purpose exclamation. Much of the authentic swearing in the period more likely consisted of other very creative but milder epithets. I personally don't give a shit, it works brilliantly in the series.

Edward

Bartender
The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Based on the darker comic book take of the original Arxhie comicscharacter of the same name. It was intended to be a companion show to Netflix' Riverdale (Archie via Twin Peaks). but in the end set in its own universe. It's a lot of fun, some great referneces and ideas, doesn't hit the viewer over the head with exposition.

Haversack

One Too Many
I've recently discovered the series, Lovejoy, on Acorn. Ian McShane plays a rogue of an antique dealer along with a regular cast of supporters and antagonists. Begun in the mid-'80s and finished in the early '90s, it hits the spot right now as series of humourous capers flicks. The books I am given to understand are quite a bit darker. One of the regulars I did not immediately recognize is Phyllis Logan. Here she plays a posh, red haired semi-romantic interest to McShane's Lovejoy. She is now more widely known as Mrs. Hughes in Downton Abbey.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've also read other experts (including the American editor of the Oxford Dictionary) who argue that much of the profanity in Deadwood is modern and unlikely to have been heard at the time. The F word, for instance was used sometimes but only for its original meaning, not as a multi-purpose exclamation. Much of the authentic swearing in the period more likely consisted of other very creative but milder epithets. I personally don't give a shit, it works brilliantly in the series.

Blasphemies and various questionings of the subject's legitimacy made up the bulk of pre-twentieth-century swearing in the US. The F word came into its full modern glory as a direct result of its universal popularity during World War II, when it and its endless variations were the all-time favorite expletives of all those clean-cut, well-scrubbed, square-jawed, mother-loving GI's.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I've recently discovered the series, Lovejoy, on Acorn. Ian McShane plays a rogue of an antique dealer along with a regular cast of supporters and antagonists. Begun in the mid-'80s and finished in the early '90s, it hits the spot right now as series of humourous capers flicks. The books I am given to understand are quite a bit darker. One of the regulars I did not immediately recognize is Phyllis Logan. Here she plays a posh, red haired semi-romantic interest to McShane's Lovejoy. She is now more widely known as Mrs. Hughes in Downton Abbey.

An absolute joy of a series, and I hope to buy the collection soon (I do not rely on streaming or other services, such shows come and go).

To give you an idea of how much work went into "dowdy-ing up", if I can use that made-up term, Phyllis Logan for Mrs. Hughes, here is an inventory of shots of Ms Logan:

Lady Jane

Lady Jane.jpg

Lady Jane and Lovejoy

Lady Jane with Lovejoy.jpg

As Mrs. Hughes

Mrs. Hughes.jpg

Side by side comparison: Phyllis Logan and Mrs. Hughes

Mrs. Hughes comparison.jpg

Netflix offering "The Eddy". A French series set in Paris. Performances are very good but working with a flawed plot line. It is a weird mixture of subtitled French and English. The winner though is the music. It is set in a modern jazz club in Paris. If you like Jazz then come just for the music.

michaelagraham

New in Town
I really enjoyed Mr Inbetween; an Autralian dark drama/comedy about a mob hitman who is also a single dad and caretaker for his sick brother. If you like Mike from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Fargo (film and/or series), and/or The Patriot, be sure to check this show out. Originally aired on FX.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I really enjoyed Mr Inbetween; an Autralian dark drama/comedy about a mob hitman who is also a single dad and caretaker for his sick brother. If you like Mike from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Fargo (film and/or series), and/or The Patriot, be sure to check this show out. Originally aired on FX.

Wanted to watch this on its original run, but did not have the time. Must check it out.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've been enjoying Lovejoy too as it happens - I'm on series 4. Comfort television. The rumor about a sequal/remake has been doing the rounds of years. McShane has argued for a series featuring Lovejoy's story.

Edward

Bartender
Lovejoy was a lot of fun. Dudley Sutton I remember finding amusing as Tinker, though he also took on anumber of challenging roles thorughout his career, not least as a gay biker in 1962's The Leather Boys. While the film radically altered key parts of the original novel's narrative to suit the mores of Britain in 1962 (the so-called Swinging Sixties with their Sexual Revolution didn't hit the UK until much later on - and even then few places felt it outside London's West End), it was still a very brave choice, andc a beautiful performance. Lovely shots of period Lewis jackets and the Ace Cafe in its heyday too.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I just started season one of Perry Mason. I am six episodes into the series and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Raymond Burr and the entire cast do a wonderful job portraying their characters. Perry Mason is great classic television.
0599D9BA-ED23-4250-8157-DE256D6BD82E.jpeg

Steven

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The Witcher - sword and sorcery kitsch with a somewhat wooden performance by Henry Cavill in the lead. He intones his dialogue in a deep, sepulchral manner that sounds like he's been processed post-sync. It's irritating and has a kind of "I'm Batman" quality to it. There's barely a genuine moment to be found here and although the show is as hokey as hell there is just enough charm peaking through the CGI cracks to get you through.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The Witcher - sword and sorcery kitsch with a somewhat wooden performance by Henry Cavill in the lead. He intones his dialogue in a deep, sepulchral manner that sounds like he's been processed post-sync. It's irritating and has a kind of "I'm Batman" quality to it. There's barely a genuine moment to be found here and although the show is as hokey as hell there is just enough charm peaking through the CGI cracks to get you through.

I really wanted to like this, I made it all the way through, and have no idea what the hell it is about, or what happened. I could not spoil this for you if I tried.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Due to manly hunk of man flesh in the lead.... Puddin' sucked me into watching this show. I've neither read the books nor played the games "The Witcher" is based on so I went in cold. Decent budget... nice action but like you all, it really didn't resonate with me. And truth be told after what the final season of GoT did to me I'm really NOT in the mood to give another "sword and sorcery" series my heart.

Worf

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Due to manly hunk of man flesh in the lead.... Puddin' sucked me into watching this show. I've neither read the books nor played the games "The Witcher" is based on so I went in cold. Decent budget... nice action but like you all, it really didn't resonate with me. And truth be told after what the final season of GoT did to me I'm really NOT in the mood to give another "sword and sorcery" series my heart.

Worf

I too had not read the books or graphic novels or whatever, nor played the game, indeed, I had never heard of this. So, my issues are not with "staying true to the canon/original source/etc." or not, rather, seeing this for the new story it was to me.

I had to research online at times to understand what was happening and why. I know these interpretations rely to a large extent on "fan boys" watching, but surely they know people will watch having no background, and thus needing to be introduced to the story as it evolves.

Back to repeats of Longmire...

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Barkskins. National Geographic channel. I was a bit wrong about this. I still believe the story is rather weak, but it isn't a complete mess like, say, Vikings. The actors are making this show. I don't think there's a whole lot on page worth discussing, but the quality of acting is good. The actors are making the characters come alive enough to make it interesting. That's their job, but in most similar circumstances, the actors don't carry the weight. I'm to the point that I think it is worth doing some research on whether this is somewhat accurate.

Beecham House. PBS. I enjoyed this first episode, but I wasn't crazy about the way the main character, John Beecham, is played. There are these split-second pauses when he looks like he is posing for a poster photograph. I know they wouldn't, but in those moments, I feel they get desperately close to breaking the fourth wall. It's cheesy and distracting. The character is sort of all over the place.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Barkskins. National Geographic channel. I was a bit wrong about this. I still believe the story is rather weak, but it isn't a complete mess like, say, Vikings. The actors are making this show. I don't think there's a whole lot on page worth discussing, but the quality of acting is good. The actors are making the characters come alive enough to make it interesting. That's their job, but in most similar circumstances, the actors don't carry the weight. I'm to the point that I think it is worth doing some research on whether this is somewhat accurate.
It was a slow start, but I'm glad I stuck through it and have found Barkskins to be really enjoyable. Even as simple historical fiction I enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk